new sledders!!

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
soooo my boy is two and a half and dad thinks he needs a kitty cat (60cc).what are your thoughts? too soon? what age did your kids start mashin the throttle? am i just wantin the little guy rippin too soon? of course we will get him all the proper gear and safety equipment but damm, it would kick arse to see him flyin!!!

mountainman611

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really think that is totally up to you. You will have some people say that he is too young and others say...go for it. It all depends on his physical size and his dexterity.
There is one thing that you will have to watch out for is your choice of helmets. A child that age cannot wear most helmets on the market including kid helmets. (the helmet is heavier than their head) I say, if your comfortable doing so on a safe flat trail....go for it!!

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
kitty cats are junk dont waste your money buy an 120 i have a polaris xc 120 and my boy was three when he started and so did my daughter and arctic cat makes an 120 i use to have a kitty cat and if u arnt driving it on a walmart parking lot you will be stuck i know just helping u out:d and my boy and daughter were 4 when i got them a polaris predator 90 no probs now my boy is almost 5 and he rips on his crf 50 honda motorbike and my daughter is 9 and rips on here crf 80 honda dirt bike so better to start them young

Last edited:

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with gotboost. Our boys were all right around 3 also :) We have the 120 sitting in our shop and I know our friend is coming to pick it up for his 3 yo. I can not stress WIDE OPEN spaces enough though LOL

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started when I was about 3 and so did my son. We actually started on the same kitty cat. I kept it and it still works great. Experience and seat time is the best training ever.

Attachments

• First Sled.jpg
    First Sled.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 29

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, I agree on the helmet issue. My oldest daughter was 3 when she started quadding, and 6 when I bought her a Mini Z. My youngest daughter was also 3 before she climbed on her quad. She was 4 before she was riding her sister's 120. I bought her a Dragon 120 this year, she is now 5. One thing that works well for teaching them how to ride, and not wear yourself out, is tie a 50' rope to the back of their sled and the front of yours, and let them lead. When they get going too fast, or heading for trouble, simply hit the brakes and spot them on the spot. The Kitty Kats are kinda junkie, but it will get him into the sport.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boydo if you think he's ready go for it. My little buddy is 3 and has a quad and sled at his house and the same at our place. We have a huge hay field right out front that he can rip around at will on. We put a cycling helmet on him for now because of the already mentioned weight issue. This winter he should fit his aunties snowboard helmet, the same one she wore when we got her on a sled at a young age.

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont have kids sooo probablly should nt comnt but my sisters kids have been going with me since they were 5 (21 and 23 now) and helmits are an issue but some thing better than nothing so try bike helmits first (LIght and easy to get used to) and never leave them alone for a second they will grow up to love the sport

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry everybody about the kitty cat, yes they are junk in snow deeper then 3inches but I am just bought a z120 for son and I think they are way to fast for a 3 yr old unless they are in a endless field. If you are going to put him on a 120 you better spend on a very good helmet for when he loses control and heads for the park car, personal experience........It was funny because he didn't get hurt........

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was 6 when I started on a Polaris Colt 295 and I managed to find a parked van with no helmet on, actually that might explain a few things. I plan on getting my little girl on her own at about 3 assuming we can find the safety gear to fit her.

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't think my Kitty Kat was junk, just sayin.... It was ported and polished and painted candy apple red (after my display picture was taken of course)!

I started riding that thing when I was 2.5 or 3. I was riding well before I could ride a bike without training wheels. I even raced it - still have the kitty kat and the trophies to prove it! One year, the whole family had red sleds, from the phazers to the snoscoot to the kitty cat and we all went all over the place with them all. But how often is a 3 year old going to be going in snow any deeper than 6"? I think a Kitty Kat is a perfect size for a 3 year old, then when he's a bit older like 5 a 120 would be a good fit.

just my 2 cents

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my boy got one when he was 2 .....couldn't steer but could run a straight line ....so he'd run back and forth between my and the wife

was funny as heck

was a kitty cat ...the 120 mini z is what the other kids ride

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All three of my boyz started riding at the age of 3 yrs on Z120's. They were all spoiled enough to get their own brand new green sled at that age. Personally I would not but a Kitty Kat... they really are a toy, not meant to be driven on anything but hard pack, and really slow? The 120's can be de'governed and modded! It's fun too... I sold two n the last year and am now down to one Z120 for my 6 year old. Great investment..... many years of fun... :)

The down side??? Once you sell the 120 (120's) you have to replace it with a bigger $$$led that$$$ fa$$$ter and ha$$$ to be in$$$ured. :confused:

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought my son a quad when he was 2 1/2 and my parents freeked. I told them, if this is how they felt, then they can go out and buy the best helmet and body armer lol. For the first month we would go for a walk but if my hand left his helmet he just stopped. I must of walked 100's of miles that month lol. then one day he just took off and never looked back since. He has gone through 5 quads in 5 years just because I used to sell them. teach them respect for the machine. My son is now 8 and has only crashed twice on his quad but nothing serious. he knows when to bail, yet he stayed with us when we went to the top of cliffs. (he allways surprizes me) he now has a suzuki 80 LT that he is jumping and has a full race track in the yard lol. now for the sleds, different story. he rode on his first sled at snowarama when he was a month old. (I think this got the gas in his blood system lol) he never had a smaller sled. one day I thought I would let him drive a 99 550 RMK and to my surprize he was good to go at age 4 in the field. he used to pull the snowcoach with all the camping gear in it to stay overnight. now at age 8 he is playing in the bowls and lovin it. teach them young and they will grow up to be better that us old folks lol. like I say "a family that sleds together, stays together"

when we go sleding with the kids I have no problem digging them out and showing them how to sled.....they sleep so much better that night lol.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scotty, just don't up grade them leave them with the z120 and tell them that they need to make this last untill they hit 16yrs LOL:d

Top Bottom