New Short block install questions

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brand new short block with 5 minutes break in time? Or after 5 minutes should the sled have seated the rings already?

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well decided to put my purse down tonight and give it a good pull, came up with 115psi on each side. Decided to take the carbs off next, and found some nice gas residue inside the intake. Decided to pull the carbs apart since i've yet to do it since i've owned the sled, and not likely the previous owner did any maintenance of any sort on this thing. Fingers crossed.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well decided to put my purse down tonight and give it a good pull, came up with 115psi on each side. Decided to take the carbs off next, and found some nice gas residue inside the intake. Decided to pull the carbs apart since i've yet to do it since i've owned the sled, and not likely the previous owner did any maintenance of any sort on this thing. Fingers crossed.

Once you get it running your not going to get the previous owner to break it in are you? Just kidding. Good luck with it.

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We all saw the pictures of the "new factory short block"... soo far i'm into this for a NEW factory short block, new head, new stator, and pick up coils. The carbs look like they could use some help... but just gonna clean them and toss them back together. I'd like to get one ride in before all the snow is gone.

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You might have a stuck float if there is gas in the air box. Is there any gas leaking from it when it is parked?

jlieske1

Reaction score
We all saw the pictures of the "new factory short block"... soo far i'm into this for a NEW factory short block, new head, new stator, and pick up coils. The carbs look like they could use some help... but just gonna clean them and toss them back together. I'd like to get one ride in before all the snow is gone.

Don't feel bad, I upgraded to an 04 skud this year and now have 7g into a sled that I bought for 4g (thought I was getting a good deal) :( You win some you lose some. When it's all said and done you will know your machine, I guess.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am sure once you are done it will be a good ride and you can put the rip off behind you.

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping so, i'm pretty much over it now. But still what an introduction to sledding...

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, well finally was about to look at the carbs last night and went to go put them back together. In doing so, found on one of the slides (mag side) that the spring was broken. Replaced it together and the slides were pulling at the same time together, when i looked it at before i saw that the Mag side was slightly ahead of the Pto side but only in the first 1/8 throttle.

Pulled the rest of the carbs apart tonight and cleaned them up. Counted the number of turns for the air screw, and noticed the pto side was 2, and the mag side was 3 1/2, yet the book says 1 1/2 (+-)1/16.

When i pulled the air screw out, i also noticed that the mag side was a little shorter than the Pto side. Is this suppose to be like this? or is the needle actually broken?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both air screws should be the same length. Does it look broken or is it rounded off?

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After further inspection, the air screw on the mag side is broken off, and it seems what broke off is still stuck in the carb. Am i safe to try and drill this out? and replace the air screw? Just the tip of the air screw is broken. The Pto is still good.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is any of the threads still in there? If not it should just fall out.

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The rest of the air screw is out, (threads and all) just the sharp tip of the air screw is in there it seems. On the Pto side, you can see a spot for the tip to go. On the Mag side, that tip seems broken off and stuck inside the carb still. The difference in length between the two air screws is probably 2-3mm. Does that kinda make sense?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It should just fall out. There is nothing to hold it in. I would be leary of drilling in there.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what size of carb ?
I have a 38 mm carb for a doo cheap

did you try to use a pick and move the broken piece in the carb , maybe try and use a drill bit by hand to loosen the broken piece ,

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why it won't fall out, but even tryed giving it a bit of a push with a pick and nothing. The Ski-doo book says my carbs are "TM 40-B247" sooo 40mm carb?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there an o-ring on the screw or is that part still stuck in the carb? If the o-ring and threads are intact on the air screw then all that is remaining is the tip, it should come loose, you might have to use a bit of force or a magnet, depending on how much is in there still. If there are still threads on it then you have to screw it out and if the o-ring is still in there it might take more pressure.

Top Bottom