New quad suggestions

Smokey1

Reaction score
So I'm almost done parting out my 06 brute solid axle 650 and am looking to get another quad, looking to spend 6-7k max. New would be nice but would consider used in great condition.

99% of my riding is ditches/fields and I was very happy with the performance of the brute, I just ended up with one in bad shape so they are still in the running.

Some new I've been considering
-09 brute 650
-09/10 Polaris 500ho
-used renegade/outlander 800

Acceleration is my main concern, wont be pulling moose or bars deep in mud, so not sure if I Need to go with a big bore bike or not, any suggestions would be appreciated. Also if you have something clean you think would fit the bill send me a pm, I'd prefer not to go to kijiji again.

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seen in the trader brand new 09 brutes going for $7000. That's probly your best option instead of buying used. I have never had good luck with buying used. I think it was at echo cycle or cars marine they had that price not sure though

benclaluna450r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you ride ditches and feilds all the time id say get a sport quad thats just my 2 cents but my 450r goes almost anywhere a 4x4 does just with a lot more throttle lol

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you ride ditches and feilds all the time id say get a sport quad thats just my 2 cents but my 450r goes almost anywhere a 4x4 does just with a lot more throttle lol

I hear what your saying. But sport quads take a dirent more aggressive stand up kind of rider. Not for everyone. I also have a yfz 450 and hang with all the 4x4's but it takes a little more skill. For utility quads I loooooove side by sides.

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy has a 500 ho polaris 2up and loves it. The ride is awesome and it's great on fuel.

benclaluna450r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear what your saying. But sport quads take a dirent more aggressive stand up kind of rider. Not for everyone. I also have a yfz 450 and hang with all the 4x4's but it takes a little more skill. For utility quads I loooooove side by sides.

im sure you could pick up a rhino 660 or 450 for cheap

any1butjj

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you buy any Can Am's please be sure to check the bottom frame, almost everyone I saw had extensive denting on them which made me leary. I ended up going new as there are some great prices out there from time to time.

Smokey1

Reaction score
I've thought of going to a raptor 700 or Similar, but Ive got a dirtbike, so if i want to mess around, go fast and jump i do it on that. Most of the time i'll just be screwing around, plowing, maybe the odd hunting trip with a buddy but never hauling much of anything.

I know E&S motorsports has good prices on brutes, there is also a place in Williams Lake BC that has brand new Polaris 500Ho for $5495. If you guys see or hear of any great deals on old stock let me know, i'm really not super picky on brand, just no Arctic Cats really.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend going twin cylinder. Singles are gutless. I'd look for the any of the older Polaris 800's or the Brute.

Don't get me wrong, a single cyl big bore 4X4 will get you there and back, a twin will just do it faster.

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
I'd recommend going twin cylinder. Singles are gutless. I'd look for the any of the older Polaris 800's or the Brute.

Don't get me wrong, a single cyl big bore 4X4 will get you there and back, a twin will just do it faster.

And burn a little more gas. Have seen Some kings do 110km per 17 l tank.

True they dont have the V-twin torque, a little gutless on the low end, but with the rite upgrades u can keep up with the twin kids.

I raced a BF 750and we were neck and neck in cadomin. And i just have a King 750, sure he wheelied when we took off, but that was it. It could of went on for km's with him probly takin me in the loooong run.

Who needs to go fast anways, all u see is the surroundings zipping by u, i like to crawl around and watch my surroundings. Nature is better viewed at a slow pace.
Its like comparing a 5.0L V8 mustang to a 2.3L inline 4 mustang. There is no comparison.

mudd kitty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
===== QUOTE MATTIAC ====

===== /QUOTE ====

im sure you could pick up a rhino 660 or 450 for cheap

Where where?? I have been looking for a cheap sxs for a while with no luck!?!?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

KLX140

Reaction score
I might be slightly bias, but I think the Polaris is the way to go. If your not travelling around a whole lot with it, the jetting wont be an issue, and you can save HUGE money by going with a carb model (vs.EFI). Also, its not the most popular model, so you may be able to track down some non-currents (more $$$ saving)

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I might be slightly bias, but I think the Polaris is the way to go. If your not travelling around a whole lot with it, the jetting wont be an issue, and you can save HUGE money by going with a carb model (vs.EFI). Also, its not the most popular model, so you may be able to track down some non-currents (more $$$ saving)

Not bias at all! :d Polaris all the way!!

And burn a little more gas. Have seen Some kings do 110km per 17 l tank.

True they dont have the V-twin torque, a little gutless on the low end, but with the rite upgrades u can keep up with the twin kids.

I raced a BF 750and we were neck and neck in cadomin. And i just have a King 750, sure he wheelied when we took off, but that was it. It could of went on for km's with him probly takin me in the loooong run.

Who needs to go fast anways, all u see is the surroundings zipping by u, i like to crawl around and watch my surroundings. Nature is better viewed at a slow pace.
Its like comparing a 5.0L V8 mustang to a 2.3L inline 4 mustang. There is no comparison.

With the right upgrades you can keep up to a stock twin. The singles average out to roughly 40-some HP sometimes 50. The twins are usually pushing 52 (Brute) or into the 70HP range like the XP's and the 800R's. Once you start hopping up a twin there it goes again.

Yes the single cylinder quads are more reliable, less maintanance yadda yadda, but if you want more power, or don't want your quad to bog down when the going gets deep then go twin.

Thats just my two cents, if you want single, by all means, go nuts.

racerfromhell

Reaction score
Well if your looking for a quad, my buddy has a 06 brute 750 and it has't let him down. he would buy another no queston. it has good power and over 4500 kms on it. only has done the basics to it (brakes, ball joints). I love my RZR but if I were to get another quad it probably be a brute....:rolleyes: just because i've seen the chit he puts it through:cool:

Smokey1

Reaction score
I've been leaning towards a new brute, but the last one just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Bought it at 1700kms, took it for a 15min drive and all seemed fine
-Got home, about 10 mins into my first ride temp light comes on, head gasket was toast
-Fixed that, a few months later had the bolts holding on the decomp springs from the cam back out.
-Then dropped a valve, cost me a piston, jug, and head
-Then jumped time, and the front chain piled up, at this point i parted it out.

Did i just get a lemon?

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been leaning towards a new brute, but the last one just left a bad taste in my mouth.

-Got home, about 10 mins into my first ride temp light comes on, head gasket was toast
-Fixed that, a few months later had the bolts holding on the decomp springs from the cam back out.

Did i just get a lemon?

My buddy's brute has been good to him. That, or you are really good at running them into the ground :beer:

jgonie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my brute has been awsome got 2500km on it and only the usual bushing and break pads have warn out. and rear ouput shaft seal but it takes ten mins to change

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Did i just get a lemon?

Hey Smokey, in my opinion, any ATV that is driven hard for long periods of 'time will wear out fast!!! thats it...., don't matter if you swear by polaris, honda, kawasaki etc....

Sure its fun hitting the trails hard and smoking across the fields full throttle, that all takes it toll....which equals $$$$

My dad has a 2002 honda rubicon with 9800 km, has never done a thing other then oild changes, and thats it!!!, no stearing componets, etc....finaly now it needs break work..... but he does baby it...and he is 55 years old

I hope you didnt get a lemon, and instead got ATV someone just beat the crap out of......I also have a brute and hope its last a long time...got it in sept....

Got my Bike from E&S, I also did hear of that place in Willams BC....the sales guy there would never get back to me...dont forget BC has HST as to out just 5% tax and then cost of shipping or your gas money and hotel to go pick up.....

STYKO

Top Bottom