New grips, what glue?

Motomonks

Reaction score
Title says it, i just bought new moto bars, gunna buy new grips too, but what glue holds up to the heat of the heated handlebar grips?

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I used premium spray contact and it works great.

Steps:

- Clean bars good where grips are to be installed
- Install cork wrap
- Install Heat elements
- Wrap the inside end twice around with electrical tape then spiral down to the end of the grips then at the end wrap twice around. When spiraling down leave about a tape width between the last pass.
- Using premium contact spray the entire inside of the grip well
(wear gloves and have a cloth to catch the spray adhesive that will ooze out of the end of the grip, this can be messy if not prepared, I had some acetone handy as well which assisted with the cleanup)

I installed them this way and they went on so easy. The grips were on high quite a bit and never had any issues.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I used premium spray contact and it works great.

Steps:

- Clean bars good where grips are to be installed
- Install cork wrap
- Install Heat elements
- Wrap the inside end twice around with electrical tape then spiral down to the end of the grips then at the end wrap twice around. When spiraling down leave about a tape width between the last pass.
- Using premium contact spray the entire inside of the grip well
(wear gloves and have a cloth to catch the spray adhesive that will ooze out of the end of the grip, this can be messy if not prepared, I had some acetone handy as well which assisted with the cleanup)

I installed them this way and they went on so easy. The grips were on high quite a bit and never had any issues.

I like it when the "boss" does these installs, especially when it on my Rev .... thanks again Ron for putting on the new grips. Cheerz.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
some grips have got the "glue" in them and its activated using WD40 or something of the likes.

dirk660

Reaction score
i use a grip glue i got from the yamaha dealer. it works really good. almost too good you have to get them on rather quickly.

omullinger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used the same when I had my raptor. What I found getting around the quick dry (if you have a day) dip your finger in some motor oil and wipe it on the clean bare handle bar. Then put half the tube of glue on each grip, slide them on and it gives you time to place them for your best comfort.. Let it dry for a day and you are golden.
i use a grip glue i got from the yamaha dealer. it works really good. almost too good you have to get them on rather quickly.

Toy4Fun

Reaction score
I've been using 5 minute epoxy available at any hardware or auto parts store, it works good.

HiLlClImB911

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use the ones with glue already on them, then I use the air compressor to put air inside one while holding the other side shut. They expand out and slide on easy, dry and no mess

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use the ones with glue already on them, then I use the air compressor to put air inside one while holding the other side shut. They expand out and slide on easy, dry and no mess

X2 but don't use any glue. Just put them on with the air compressor and then you can take them off just as easy without risking cutting/damaging the heater element. I have had mine on for 3 seasons with no glue and never twisted a grip. Dry and air compressor is the only way to install them.

jazzman

Reaction score
I have used the scott grip glue for my quad and sled and I have not had any problems with them at all. Both machines have heated grips.

Med1ogre

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 but don't use any glue. Just put them on with the air compressor and then you can take them off just as easy without risking cutting/damaging the heater element. I have had mine on for 3 seasons with no glue and never twisted a grip. Dry and air compressor is the only way to install them.
Yuuuup!

Top Bottom