New garmin rino's are out!

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i spoke with garmin and they dont recommend using them in freezing temps, i normaly mount my 530 on the dash with a ram mount. was going to upgrade but they recommended i stay with the 530??

schoooled dweeb

Reaction score
I bought a 610 in November 2011 for $350 @ Cabella here in Edmonton.
My friend rick bought the 650 for $500.
The 650 allows you to use a SD card. Uses a Lithium Ion Battery. 2 watt GMRS in Canada.
The 610 doesn't have a SD card slot. Uses 4AA batteries. 1 watt GMRS in Canada.

Both hook up to the PC using a USB cable supplied. Faster than the serial cable of my Rino130.
Both have 1.7 Gig storage onboard Memory.

I've used it for 10 sledding days and found that it is better than my rino 130.
It locks onto the satellites faster. Radio works well....so far.

My radio in my 130 crapped out and was only good for 200 yards LOS (Line of Sight)
BUT i can't transfer my tracks and waypoints from my 130 to the 610.
The 610 uses .GPX files & the 130 uses .WPT & .PLT ....not compatible on the 610/650.
Trying to figure out how to get them onto the 610 using a different interface. Anyone have any leads?????

I have so many sledding areas plotted & waypoints...kinda choked that i just can't upload them to 610.
Needed to upgrade GPS ...why i went to the 610 versus 530?
200 saved tracks on 610/650 versus 20 for 130/530.....all their Rino GPS do 10000 points.

Navigating the screens on 610 becomes easier once you become familiar with the unit.
I take my gloves off to make inputs on the touch screen. MUCH faster to input name changes to waypoints & tracks.
I kept the Rino 610 in my outer pocket of my jacket. It easily lasted all day on the 4AA batteries with some talking.
I use duracell rechargeables from Costco and happy that they do the job.
I did get 2 days of use on the same 4 batteries but with the radio turned off for both days & relatively mild outside temps.

Tracks uploads into Google Earth quick and easy....and very accurate.
So far I'm impressed but still not happy that the old 130 data isn't compatible.
I used Oziexplorer with .MAP files with the Rino 130..guess what ...not compatible with the 610/650 files
The Basecamp program that they let you download for free from the Garmin website works...but it is basic.
They have geared the basecamp program so that you will want to buy maps for it....& guess what ...
there aren't available from Garmin for Canada ......ONLY USA (so far)
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=28229

BAckroads Mapbook makes a map SD micro for BC at $175 which only works in the 650/655

So to get setup it will cost you $500 for the Rino 650 + $175 for the topo maps for BC
But the 655 with a 5Megapixel camera...you get the 100K MAP preloaded....of the -->USA for $600

You have the ability to upload maps in .KMZ format that you create on the 610/650/655
Which is what I'm doing with my 610. Its a bit of a process but do-able
Garmin | United States | Custom Maps

One more neat feature was the ability to transfer waypoints or tracks between other Rino 650/655 users
If you have a track of Boulder in revy...and your friend just bought a Rino 650 ...you can share/transfer
the track of Boulder to your friend using the ANT+ as long as you are within 3m (10feet) of each other
Other uses please pipe in if you have a Rino 6xx
Hope this helps

Cheers
Chris

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So how did you find its cold weather function?>

Even the sales person at the GPS shop in Calgary told me to stay away from the new touch screen until they figured out the cold weather issue.

They also did not mention that I could not use Topo Canada with it? I don't know what you mean there are no maps available from Garmin for Canada? Topo Canada was updated in 2010.

schoooled dweeb

Reaction score
It got as cold as -8 and the rino 610 didn't seem to have any issues with use or touch screen inputs
just like a camera.... the batteries last longer and put out more juice when they are warmer
Until I try to use the GPS in colder weather....I can't find any fault in the performance
As for the topo canada....what extensions are the files on the dvd/sd card
Garmin has what seems to be a proprietary .IMG file that has all the info for maps/images
being displayed onscreen on the rino 6xx series.
I tried uploading .MAP files to the unit...but it didn't recognize the file
read the link above and you will get an idea of how they want you upload maps/images to rino unit
that process works on all 6xx units
Unless you dish out the $175 for the mapbook backroad sd card..... these are your 2 options.
I'm trying to find a way around this using Oziexplorer/BAsecamp/GoogleEarth & topo map cd/dvd's i own
It would be so simple to just upload a file from your canada topo cd/dvd onto the Rino 6xx....BUT NO U CAN'T
I guess they want you to pay for everything over....again
If I make progress...i will post
Right now I'm frustrated that I have spent $125 on each of the topo cd/dvd's i own a couple of years back
and its not compatible to the new rino6xx...
Need to figure this out....any help from other GPS users???
Cheers
Chris

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is redonkulous!

I am going to visit a GPS shop tomorrow and see if I can get any further info. Have you tried one of the GPS forums?

I was stuck between the Oregon and a new Rino, I wondered why they felt the Rino had issues when the Oregon's don't and its the same screen as far as I know. I was also going to purchase the BC/AB Backroad package but I like the idea of plotting my garmin tracks on google earth, which as far as I know can't be done with the Backroads GPS maps.

In reality not many people I ride with use Rino's either so its not has big of a selling feature.

Now a Rino with a Spot transciever...you would have my attention.

Graveler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 530 you can use with your gloves on and if you buy a US one its 5 watts and it works great in -30 f

Last edited:

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard they were making an upgraded version with the camera built into it and as durable as the Colorado.

I was looking at the Rhino but the sales man told me to wait, improved functionality over the 610.

That is redonkulous!

I am going to visit a GPS shop tomorrow and see if I can get any further info. Have you tried one of the GPS forums?

I was stuck between the Oregon and a new Rino, I wondered why they felt the Rino had issues when the Oregon's don't and its the same screen as far as I know. I was also going to purchase the BC/AB Backroad package but I like the idea of plotting my garmin tracks on google earth, which as far as I know can't be done with the Backroads GPS maps.

In reality not many people I ride with use Rino's either so its not has big of a selling feature.

Now a Rino with a Spot transciever...you would have my attention.

Ohmz

Reaction score
finally got a chance to test my 650 last weekend side by side to a 530 and holly chit!! 100X easier to use. the touch screen is the way to go, had no issues with the cold or snow that was falling on it. a full 8 hour day on the hill and only used 30% of the battery with radio and map tracking on full time. and with the maps loaded onto the internal harddrive there was almost no lag when scrolling around the map. very very happy with the 650 :)

dzignr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crowsnow.org
I picked up the 650 us version. Works well and with the lithium batteries, the cold doesn't bother it much.
Touch screen is most excellent and I am amazed at how little power is used; battery uses perhaps 15% of capacity across 10 hours of use.
As for Canada maps, check out: Home which is a little known secret. The fidelity of the mapping is superior to Garmin's and it is free (PayPal donation if you like). I have been using the ibycus for a few years now and have burned a few cd's for others who also commented on the superiority to Garmin maps.
The ability to send notes to everyone on same channel is pretty cool too. 32 (19).png

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a 610 in November 2011 for $350 @ Cabella here in Edmonton.
My friend rick bought the 650 for $500.
The 650 allows you to use a SD card. Uses a Lithium Ion Battery. 2 watt GMRS in Canada.
The 610 doesn't have a SD card slot. Uses 4AA batteries. 1 watt GMRS in Canada.

Both hook up to the PC using a USB cable supplied. Faster than the serial cable of my Rino130.
Both have 1.7 Gig storage onboard Memory.

I've used it for 10 sledding days and found that it is better than my rino 130.
It locks onto the satellites faster. Radio works well....so far.

My radio in my 130 crapped out and was only good for 200 yards LOS (Line of Sight)
BUT i can't transfer my tracks and waypoints from my 130 to the 610.
The 610 uses .GPX files & the 130 uses .WPT & .PLT ....not compatible on the 610/650.
Trying to figure out how to get them onto the 610 using a different interface. Anyone have any leads?????

I have so many sledding areas plotted & waypoints...kinda choked that i just can't upload them to 610.
Needed to upgrade GPS ...why i went to the 610 versus 530?
200 saved tracks on 610/650 versus 20 for 130/530.....all their Rino GPS do 10000 points.

Navigating the screens on 610 becomes easier once you become familiar with the unit.
I take my gloves off to make inputs on the touch screen. MUCH faster to input name changes to waypoints & tracks.
I kept the Rino 610 in my outer pocket of my jacket. It easily lasted all day on the 4AA batteries with some talking.
I use duracell rechargeables from Costco and happy that they do the job.
I did get 2 days of use on the same 4 batteries but with the radio turned off for both days & relatively mild outside temps.

Tracks uploads into Google Earth quick and easy....and very accurate.
So far I'm impressed but still not happy that the old 130 data isn't compatible.
I used Oziexplorer with .MAP files with the Rino 130..guess what ...not compatible with the 610/650 files
The Basecamp program that they let you download for free from the Garmin website works...but it is basic.
They have geared the basecamp program so that you will want to buy maps for it....& guess what ...
there aren't available from Garmin for Canada ......ONLY USA (so far)
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=28229

BAckroads Mapbook makes a map SD micro for BC at $175 which only works in the 650/655

So to get setup it will cost you $500 for the Rino 650 + $175 for the topo maps for BC
But the 655 with a 5Megapixel camera...you get the 100K MAP preloaded....of the -->USA for $600

You have the ability to upload maps in .KMZ format that you create on the 610/650/655
Which is what I'm doing with my 610. Its a bit of a process but do-able

One more neat feature was the ability to transfer waypoints or tracks between other Rino 650/655 users
If you have a track of Boulder in revy...and your friend just bought a Rino 650 ...you can share/transfer
the track of Boulder to your friend using the ANT+ as long as you are within 3m (10feet) of each other
Other uses please pipe in if you have a Rino 6xx
Hope this helps

Cheers
Chris

Download tracks, routes and waypoints from your 130 to Mapsource. You can save tracks, routes and waypoints to a gpx format from Mapsource then import or upload to your 610.

tornadobro

Reaction score
How Cold was is when you were out with that new 650? I am looking at one but am concerned about it. Thanks

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Download tracks, routes and waypoints from your 130 to Mapsource. You can save tracks, routes and waypoints to a gpx format from Mapsource then import or upload to your 610.

What he said... You should be able to do this in Mapsource or Basecamp. As well, I would be very surprised if Garmin didn't have a way to get the Topo Canada maps onto the device. Have you tried highlighting the maps you want on the device in Mapsource or basecamp, and then uploading the "Maps" to the device, the same way you would upload waypoints or tracks?

linzoid

Reaction score
dont have one yet but after seeing how nice buddys 650 was to use and enter type and how nice the maps etc were to read, very user friendly, I will for sure be upgrading.
carry it in your pocket or pack and no issues with cold.

Top Bottom