New data show apprenticeships down in Canada

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
As of 2016, 22,827 automotive service apprentices were registered in the system – the third largest category among Red Seal trades, behind construction electricians and carpenters.

New apprenticeship registrations were down in every province and territory in Canada in 2016, the most recent year for which data is available.Statistics Canada reports that there were 417,300 individuals registered to apprenticeship programs in Canada in 2016. That’s down from 455,900 in 2015.According to the Registered Apprentice Information System (RAIS), there were approximately 72,000 new registrations in 2016, with 337,450 already registered in the system, and another 7,850 individuals returning to the apprenticeship program after an absence (reinstatements).Among the three categories of registration, the biggest drop (down 23%) was in new registrations. In 2014, there were more than 93,400 new registrations. Alberta suffered the biggest drop in new registrations (down 45%).Across the country, there were a total of 7,665 newly registered automotive service apprentices – 429 of them (4.2%) being women.As of 2016, 22,827 automotive service apprentices were registered in the system – the third largest category among Red Seal trades, behind construction electricians and carpenters.More than 24,600 Red Seal certificates were issued in 2016 – 2,346 of them to automotive service apprentices.Ontario recorded the highest number of new registrations (15,600) in Red Seal trades, followed by Alberta (12,900), Quebec (10,400), and British Columbia (10,000). These four provinces accounted for 87% of all new registrations in Red Seal trades in Canada.The Registered Apprentice Information System is a collection of registration and completion data from across CanadaYou can get the latest details HERE.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah no one wants to work in the trades any more.
They want to be a youtube star, or some chit.

Going to start hiring robots soon as I can...

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn't it called by the government as skilled "laborers". Speaks wonders to what distinction the government places on us.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my son starts his 2 year program at sait next month for instrumetation.
I just hired 2 instrument apprentice in March. First ones in 4 years. All my apprentice have become j men and the slowdown didn’t allow for any new people.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like how not one person has ever said anything bad about that field. i hope he does well and in 2 years find a good company to work for.
It’s one of the best trades you can get into. Always jobs somewhere and automation isn’t getting less.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best thing i ever did was leave HD Mech. and get into Instrumentation.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried to get into IM a few years ago but no one was hiring 1st year, so I just stayed a JHD and glad I did. 8 on 6 off and my schedule is made 2yr in advance and no conflicting when I want time off or holidays. But off course you could get this anywhere I guess.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know welding took a serious hit in Alberta,most of the shops closed down in Nisku and other places

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told all trade apprenticeship classes are down in attendance. Its very hard to find a company these days that will take a chance on a apprentice and help them financially.
The federal Govt used to help, but I guess the temporary Foreign worker program was cheaper.

I love being a JM Millwright, but Id love to start on a power Engineering Ticket.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can do power eng. Online. 4th is easy enough. I have my 4th and most of my third, hoping to be done by spring. Hardest part for most people is getting steam time.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can do power eng. Online. 4th is easy enough. I have my 4th and most of my third, hoping to be done by spring. Hardest part for most people is getting steam time.

Sweet! Where are you getting your steam time???

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work in a co-generation power plant, upgrader, ethanol plant, steam time is easy for me :)

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try finding auto body apprentices. Jm rate of 28/hr and you get cancer. Insurance companies are destroying the trade by bullying labor rates down. It’s a hard sell when other 4yr programs pay 10/h more.

I get maybe 4-5 applications a year from guys wanting to do an apprenticeship.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told all trade apprenticeship classes are down in attendance. Its very hard to find a company these days that will take a chance on a apprentice and help them financially.
The federal Govt used to help, but I guess the temporary Foreign worker program was cheaper.

I love being a JM Millwright, but Id love to start on a power Engineering Ticket.

Tough to find a job as a HD mechanic in 2016 Alberta without a bit of experience let alone a first year apprentice so the numbers make sense to me. A couple mines in Ontario shutdown and laid off in 2015/2016 and oilfield was still in the ****ter so not surprising across the board numbers were down.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It doesn't help that the kids coming out of high school and into the working world don't want to work. There are a few exceptions by my christ a lot kids are lazy. They want the premium wage and the glory but don't want to put the effort in.

On top of that trying to find a GOOD HD mechanic right now is almost impossible (you know, someone who can actually diagnose a problem and not just throw parts at it, has good time management skills etc). I'm looking for another field guy and everyone I talk to in the industry says the same thing. Good journeymen techs are slim to none right now.

Top Bottom