New cars sales struggle amid chip shortage

Crustyolddude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put an order in for a Ford truck in May. Delivery is slated for oct. looks on schedule still.

Ford does not have a bunch of trucks sitting waiting on chips....all units are now build to order. Good luck getting one
(71), F150 sitting Fort Saskatchewan lot, along with dozen F350, and couple f250.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I’m pretty happy with the deal, and the truck. After being in a Ram for 26years this truck is a nice change. It Tows my trailer way better than may old Ram, and it’s nice not having the kids kicking the back of the seats. Lol

Some may call the interior of the GMC dated, but I actually prefer the old school heater controls that are separate from the stereo. I couldn’t imagine what that stereo in the Ram is worth to replace, the GM stereo made me choke when I heard the replacement cost.

I have a 2020 GM 2500 and couldn’t agree more about the old school heat controls, can’t stand a when I gotta click a few buttons on the screens to adjust. I ain’t impressed by 12” screens in a vehicle, but hey folks pay extra money for them.

Also the Ram’s back seats are the number one reason I didn’t even consider them, they are way too small compared to Ford/GM (aside for megacab).

On a side note stock seems to be increasing at all the dealers I drive by, Toyota seems to have a lot of stock.

Truebro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
(71), F150 sitting Fort Saskatchewan lot, along with dozen F350, and couple f250.
There is nothing on the lots in Alberta. Dealers are buying used vehicles for as much as new just to have something to sell. So my guess is those vehicles were purchased by a business and they haven’t purchased them outright but they just gave up 1st right of refusal. So my guess is they Will be gone very quick

Crustyolddude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is nothing on the lots in Alberta. Dealers are buying used vehicles for as much as new just to have something to sell. So my guess is those vehicles were purchased by a business and they haven’t purchased them outright but they just gave up 1st right of refusal. So my guess is they Will be gone very quick
I went to lot and saw the trucks. They been there for couple weeks. Couple of F350 are gone. Down to 10 F350 now. Went through SHERWOOD Ford has many f150 (110). Saw a few F350 platinum editions. The trucks are on the lots (at least near major Centers). SHERWOOD Ford https://www.sherwoodford.ca/cars-for-sale-sherwood-park-ab

Last edited:

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve been looking for a couple months for a small truck but pricing for 2019 /2020, good used is nearly new price. I have alerts on and the only ones that come through are 10 years old.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless someone really needs a new truck right now you're way better off just waiting. Once all the government programs are over and chip shortages are done and there is new inventory again prices on used are going to go back to what they were before covid, or less. Look at in April last year, I bought 2 trucks for steals as covid just started and no one knew what was happening. There is no way there isn't a ton of repos coming with how everyone is "struggling" yet people are buying vehicles and toys like there is no tomorrow and financing to the hilt.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Just paid my truck off, 2017 Chev 1 ton Diesel, think ill keep it a few years and wait to see what I can get in 2025. I have 130K on it and don't drive it much, just sledding, quadding and when I move equipment

Holy I only got 68K on my 2016 haha

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
surprised it has not turned into Covid
But isnt it……

What is the chip shortage?

The chip shortage is a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, which increased demand for the personal electronics such as cell phones and laptops that the chips are used in to the point where production could not keep pace with demand.

🤣🤣🤣

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But isnt it……

What is the chip shortage?

The chip shortage is a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, which increased demand for the personal electronics such as cell phones and laptops that the chips are used in to the point where production could not keep pace with demand.

🤣🤣🤣
I believe it was a small part but I think the larger part was the devastating ice storm in Texas that shut down the processor plant for months.

Top Bottom