New cars sales struggle amid chip shortage

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
August 17, 2021 by Adam Malik

New cars sales struggle amid chip shortage​

Sales of new vehicles in Canada fell in July compared to the same time last year, according to DesRosiers Automotive Consultants.

An estimated total of 155,657 units were sold last month, a drop of 5.7 per cent from July 2020. That dropped the seasonally adjusted annual rate to 1.71 million. While that’s an improvement from June, it’s well down from March’s number of 1.92 million, says DesRosiers.

It’s a far from normal time in the new sales sector, even as pandemic restrictions ease and normalcy returns in other industries.

“For the automotive industry, however, ‘normalcy’ remained an elusive goal as semiconductor shortages persisted, some dealer lots resembled barren wastelands and the industry continued to battle its supply/demand mismatches,” DesRosiers’ statement about July sales said.

But it’s not all doom and gloom, noted Andre King, the consultancy’s managing partner. Some carmakers saw increased sales compared to the previous year.

“These disparities in performance are the real story for the month and will likely persist for the remainder of the year as the impact of the semiconductor shortages continue to vary greatly by model and by manufacturer,” he said.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talked to my Ford dealer the other day. I asked him what Ford was going to do with all the trucks sitting at Kentucky Speedway and other staging areas when all these chips become available? They are now 2 yrs old. Will they discount them to make them go away? He said no they will be full pop. I told him I won't be buying a 2020 or 2021 at full pop and will look till I find a dealer that will deal with me. He was a bit shocked I think when I said that. Been dealing with them for over 30 yrs.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^ Gm already announced 2022 Redone 1500 Denali will be “delayed” for 2021.5 “limited” ie we have a chit load of old trucks waiting for parts and parts for the 2022 retool not ready either.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My GMC lot is EMPTY!! I’ve never seen it like that
Yeah its crazy Rene. I stopped at my dealer 3-4 months ago to see if they were going out of business. Had about 3 trucks and a couple SUV's on the lot. They laughed and said no it was just the way it was now. They get car carriers pull in on the weekend with presold vehicles, drop them off and they are pdi'ed and gone by Tuesday afternoon.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only place with vehicles is dodge, but who wants a dodge, you’d have to be desperate.

Truebro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put an order in for a Ford truck in May. Delivery is slated for oct. looks on schedule still.

Ford does not have a bunch of trucks sitting waiting on chips....all units are now build to order. Good luck getting one

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ordered one a month ago, expect it in December, typically wait 4 months for build now they say 6 months, wait and see i guess

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put an order in for a Ford truck in May. Delivery is slated for oct. looks on schedule still.

Ford does not have a bunch of trucks sitting waiting on chips....all units are now build to order. Good luck getting one

Yeah Ford is shifting to custom ordering your vehicle like in Europe. Bad for dealers in my opinion, about time manufactures start taking this online ordering more serious.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah Ford is shifting to custom ordering your vehicle like in Europe. Bad for dealers in my opinion, about time manufactures start taking this online ordering more serious.

Yeah and then they can charge full pop because of short supply. I have never ordered a new truck to be built. I always cherry pick a year old one off the lot and save big$$$. They have literally taken the guy that impulse buys or is looking at 2-3 brands at the same time out of the equation. Same as guys that maybe have an accident write off or theft experience. Are they gonna wait 4-6 months for a replacement? I highly doubt it. A buddy of mine couldn't find a Ford like he wanted so he bought a GMC off the lot because he sold his truck. He would have never even considered a GM but thats all he could find.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hopefully dealers bring in their own stock to have on the lot if Ford goes this route. Im wanting a Ford but I won't be doing the build to order and paying full msrp. While they will make more with their loyal customers they are going to miss a big demographic of shoppers who like going to the different dealer lots and seeing vehicles in person and driving one off the lot. Not waiting months.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I looked at all of them when I upgraded my truck.
I ended up snagging a 21 Denali HD that was in transit In May. My Salesman that I bought lots of trucks from in the past In BC could not give me preferred pricing on a new Chev, only if I ordered.
I ended up buying in Edmonton, and got preferred pricing and 0%.
Same with Ram, I could of ordered and saved at that time, but any HD Ram that was on the lot was full MRSP, and 3.5%, and approximately 3mths till delivery.
The two Ford dealers I tried to deal without were useless and lazy, I didn’t even get a price on a Tremor they were that lazy.
I think I got pretty lucky with the GM that I got, I wanted to try something new anyway, and Ram has the smallest chassis on the market, and built In Mexico so it’s resale is not as good at the moment. GM HD’s will be built in Canada soon I was told.

2022 trucks will be worse, they will have less options, and build restrictions. GMC HD will not have heated rear seats, and LED taillights as far as I know.

Last edited:

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I looked at all of them when I upgraded my truck.
I ended up snagging a 21 Denali HD that was in transit In May. My Salesman that I bought lots of trucks from in the past In BC could not give me preferred pricing on a new Chev, only if I ordered.
Same with Ram, I could of ordered and saved at that time, but any HD Ram that was on the lot was full MRSP, and 3.5%, and approximately 3mths till delivery.
The two Ford dealers I tried to deal without were useless and lazy, I didn’t even get a price on a Tremor they were that lazy.
I think I got pretty lucky with the GM that I got, I wanted to try something new anyway, and Ram has the smallest chassis on the market, and built In Mexico so it’s resale is not as good at the moment. GM HD’s will be built in Canada soon I was told.

2022 trucks will be worse, they will have less options, and build restrictions. GMC HD will not have heated rear seats, and LED taillights as far as I know.
You got a nice truck there Matt, lucky to snag that deal and that model in these times.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You got a nice truck there Matt, lucky to snag that deal and that model in these times.

Thanks, I’m pretty happy with the deal, and the truck. After being in a Ram for 26years this truck is a nice change. It Tows my trailer way better than may old Ram, and it’s nice not having the kids kicking the back of the seats. Lol

Some may call the interior of the GMC dated, but I actually prefer the old school heater controls that are separate from the stereo. I couldn’t imagine what that stereo in the Ram is worth to replace, the GM stereo made me choke when I heard the replacement cost.

Top Bottom