New car sales called ‘disconcerting’

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
September 7, 2021 by Adam Malik

New car sales called ‘disconcerting’​

August sales of new vehicles number came in at an uninspiring rate as supply issues continue to plague automakers.
Estimates from DesRosiers Automotive Consultants show “tepid” sales of 146,925 units, down 11.4 per cent from August 2020. When comparing numbers to August 2019, sales are down 19.2 per cent, a number the consultancy called “disconcerting” in a statement.
When looking at the seasonally adjusted number, that came in at 1.62 million units — that’s the second-lowest month of the year.
“The story for the month was variability in performance from one company to another driven by semiconductor-related vehicle shortages,” said Andrew King, DAC’s managing partner. “DAC estimates show that certain manufacturers did actually increase sales from August 2020, whilst others, hit hard by supply chain shortages, saw dramatic declines.”
The issues around semiconductors are forecasted to continue throughout the remainder of the year. That makes the year’s sales outlook questionable, the consultancy reported.
As a result of sluggish new vehicle sales, more used vehicles are being sold. Kia Canada, for example, noted its best-ever August for its certified pre-owned sales — 595 units were sold. The company sold 8,345 units of new vehicles.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
very few new vehicles on the lots and msrp+ prices… go figure sales are down.

Last edited:

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drive by a GM dealer daily and this is the lowest amount of trucks I’ve ever seen on the lot. I wonder when it’s gonna get better? Springtime?

Almost wanna toss the truck on for $10k more than I paid new and see if there’s any action…. Drive junker for the winter and hope it gets better come spring.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The GM dealer in Fernie has maybe a dozen cars/trucks on the lot and that includes the used ones

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Must be hard to be a salesman, hard to make a living if you got nothing to sell. Called yesterday for 3 pickups for my work and my guy told me I’d be lucky to get them for spring, usually takes 6-8 weeks when we put in the order unbelievable.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Must be hard to be a salesman, hard to make a living if you got nothing to sell. Called yesterday for 3 pickups for my work and my guy told me I’d be lucky to get them for spring, usually takes 6-8 weeks when we put in the order unbelievable.

It’s gotta be getting worse. GM is literally shutting down most of their plants for 2 weeks.

puddle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put my order in end of April and it just arrived at the dealer. Sold my 5 yr old f350 lariat w/ 180k for the same price as new f150 lariat after rebates and dealer discounts (when they had them).
I’m done with being tossed around on Alberta’s roads when I only pull 10% of the time.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Put my order in end of April and it just arrived at the dealer. Sold my 5 yr old f350 lariat w/ 180k for the same price as new f150 lariat after rebates and dealer discounts (when they had them).
I’m done with being tossed around on Alberta’s roads when I only pull 10% of the time.
That's exactly why I went back to half tonners, after having 3 3500's, including 1 dually....

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wonder what a reasonable asking price would be for a 2010 dodge 3500 Laramie mega cab drw w/ 183k km’s…. $38,000

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know that one Ford lot in town is filled with vehicles that need semiconductors. The lot looks full, but they’re all paperweights

Top Bottom