New Alberta Helmet Law

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While I am never at a shortage of negative things to say in terms of new NDP laws .....
This is not one of them ...everyone should wear a helmet .
It simply is safer / better for the sport / and protects the ones on here that won't protect themselves.
It also goes along ways to making ourselves more legitimate as a user group to the general public !
I wear one anyways , so I won't notice a difference.

I would like to see the enforcement $$ go back in to the sport / or education for rider safety ... But I highly doubt that will happen .
This law is good & here to stay regardless of what government we will have moving forward....IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think if you are out ripping around with your buddies trail riding mudding stuff like that for sure it's a great idea! It's hard to believe it hasn't been law already. But for me to go out ice fishing there's no way I want to wear a helmet! I will have my sleigh full of ice fishing gear going across a frozen lake, I am will to bet that I won't need a helmet. But then looking at it from the enforcement side of things where and how do you draw the line?

Ramjet15x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First I agree with helmets for sure, it will be a little tough for some of the SxS crowd to get onside, how long will it be before the NDP decide to make seatbelts mandatory on SxS's?

Driftingbig

Reaction score
I agree. Helmets are a good idea.
Not like when Strathcona supercops give you tickets for riding your quad/dirt bikes in the ditch.
Funny thing they never give guys tickets on their riding lawnmowers in those same ditches....
FYI Strathcona County has a bylaw against OHV's riding in the ditches as a result of a collision a snowmobiler had with a culvert quite a few years back. Im not exactly sure of the details asides the operator and or passenger were injured or killed and the family sued the County and won. So the County outlawed ditch riding as a result.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First I agree with helmets for sure, it will be a little tough for some of the SxS crowd to get onside, how long will it be before the NDP decide to make seatbelts mandatory on SxS's?

Ride with me for 10 minutes. You will want your seat belt on.

Helmets and seat belts worn when riding. Sxs's do roll.

Ramjet15x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Of course ARFF, but others don't see the need for helmets if they have a cage and seatbelts on, or even vice versa...

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say you need a helmet more in a SXS , depending on situation. A 3 point seat belt helps , but in a nasty roll over , there is a very good chance your brain box comes in contact with the roll cage ... Even with a 3 point factory seat belt . The cage & welded on mounts for the belts have a way of fracturing your skull quite effectively....
I much prefer a 4/5 point harness & Helmet .
Point is a little roll over can be quite dangerous.
Well I hear what everyone says .. Fact is you are safer with a lid on... Like it or not.
The only time I feel unsafe is in deep flowing water , only because you are buckled in , not because of the helmet.
Don't be namby pamby....
Pin it and wear a helmet ....

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Careful !! Someone might think you are serious.

It kind of looked like the thread was going off topic so thought I would put it in the ditch :) Seems to back on track now. Like it or not, helmets for OHVs are now mandatory. Alberta was the last province to do so. Personally I am more handsome when wearing a full coverage helmet and goggles so I am good with it.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ride with me for 10 minutes. You will want your seat belt on.

Helmets and seat belts worn when riding. Sxs's do roll.

haven't seen one yet! close a few times!, still i don't need no law to tell me to wear a helmet,

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have no problem wearing a helmet just don't need no legislation to make me.

Last edited:

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They can make all the laws they want, still wont make me wear a helmet on my quad while hunting, only thing i wear a helmet in is my sled

You are my hero, you prob don't wear a seatbelt and think speed limits are stupid too? Hunt on private property and you won't have anything to complain about. If you want to go on government land then you gotta follow the government's rules.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm 100% with Imdooin in this, I have no problem with seatbelt's,helmet's,ect ect.
But, I don't need the government giving me a "procedure on how to get out of bed"
I can do it all on my own.
In the future we are going to need a lawnmower safety lic. , steel toed boots, chain saw
chaps , a face shield and buy a permit from the city to mow our lawn's.
Then are you safety sallys going to be happy?
If you need someone to put a sticker on your hat to say you tied your boots properly, good
for you......... I don't want a sticker so, leave me the f@@@ alone.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Join the club, Im alot of peoples hero lol............ and maybe give your head a shake a$$ clown, did I mention anything about seatbelts, speed limits etc. You can jump on Notleys lap and give her a rub n tug for this new law all ya want, maybe she'll be happier and give all the oilfields all stars their jobs back. Its a stupid law, people shouldn't be told to wear a helmet. You can quote statistics all ya want on 80% this and 90% that, helmets save lives....... yep no $hit..... did you have to go to university to figure that one out? I don't drive a quad for sport anymore, havent for a couple years, but when I did I wore a helmet when the ride dictated it........ ie. a full day ride with a big group up on the mountain or out to the cabins, or exploring new country etc. But if I wanna go for a 2 km or less putt down to the river from my house on a 30 degree day with my fishing rod I am not wearing my helmet, if I wanna go out hunting all day way back where trucks dont go Im not wearing a helmet. When doing things like that speeds never exceed 30km an hour and there is no danger. If you crash your quad or sxs bad enough to need a helmet at that speed you clearly should pick up a different hobby and stay in a room with padded walls because you are useless and not cut out for powersports, stick to video games and going to the mall on the weekends. Unlike you people who have to make it a full day thing to go ride your quad because you live in a big center and work all week, I dont have to, I can hop on my quad and do little things like I explained to fill an afternoon, this stupid law shouldn't apply to situations like that and should be by the discretion of the officer.

You are my hero, you prob don't wear a seatbelt and think speed limits are stupid too? Hunt on private property and you won't have anything to complain about. If you want to go on government land then you gotta follow the government's rules.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always tell people that same thing when were sledding. They say well its a pain to do it up and undo it every time we stop or they get stuck. I say get better and dont get stuck as much or buy a better helmet with a quick buckle lol. My dad was always bad for not doing his up so I bought him an FXR helmet with the buckle, he always does it up now lol

i wear a helmet but they don't do any good if the strap isn't done up as i see a lot of people doing

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are big boys, just like drinking and driving.. I don't need to have gov tell me what to do again.. Will not be using it around the farm that is for sure..

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't have to wear it on private land, Indian reserves or for farming/ ranching activities.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I wear a helmet because I choose to wear one I welcome the law but the law really will not affect me....I can yell and get mad at a wall all day but I cannot turn it into a window... just sayin

Top Bottom