New Alberta Helmet Law

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There will always be opposition to anything and everything. Alberta as far as I know is the only province that does not have a mandatory helmet law. There have been several parties against this over the years. As an example hunters on public land have for a long time fought it.

It was early in the summer they said this would be coming. The interesting part is they are suggesting it must be a CSA approved helmet. How many of you have a CSA rating on your helmet? Maybe once they get their required standards figured out they can figure out the rest of their law.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A helmet for an sled/atv is like a Avy pack and Beacon in the mountains.

Hope the hell you never need it, but you wear it anyways in case it saves your life.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A headlight and tail light why ?
To be road legal headlight and tail light.

Just pointing out the amusing regulations AB has come up with over the years yet there is no current and has never been a helmet law.

And Yes, in order to operate any OHV on public/crown land in AB you must have a head light and tail light. This applies to dirt bikes. Laughable isn't that they have enforced this for many years.

Suzuki326

Reaction score
I agree. Helmets are a good idea.
Not like when Strathcona supercops give you tickets for riding your quad/dirt bikes in the ditch.
Funny thing they never give guys tickets on their riding lawnmowers in those same ditches....

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its pretty easy, the ride on mower is not classed as a OHV so you won't need a helmet and won't get a ticket

lol

the things people find to complain about...

newfiebullet

Reaction score
I don't agree with it being mandatory, while I always wear it on my summit, I never do on my wide track while trapping. I don't feel I need a helmet while crawling through the woods checking traps. Fur hat and goggles.
I'm not sure if it is mandatory here in NL, I know to ride the groomed trails the snowmobile club has it mandatory but I don't think it's a law in open country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
only a true mamby pamby needs a law to wear a helmet. more ndp police state crap.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They can make all the laws they want, still wont make me wear a helmet on my quad while hunting, only thing i wear a helmet in is my sled

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
  • A significant number of ATV deaths involve head injuries, 77% of people who died of head injuries were not wearing a helmet
  • The Injury Prevention Centre at the University of Alberta says 19 people are killed each year in the province while operating off-highway vehicles. The centre says more than 1,000 children under 16 were injured in the province last year while riding on such machines.

Apparently there are more than a few mamby pambys that need a law. Regardless of the government in power at the time.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While I am never at a shortage of negative things to say in terms of new NDP laws .....
This is not one of them ...everyone should wear a helmet .
It simply is safer / better for the sport / and protects the ones on here that won't protect themselves.
It also goes along ways to making ourselves more legitimate as a user group to the general public !
I wear one anyways , so I won't notice a difference.

I would like to see the enforcement $$ go back in to the sport / or education for rider safety ... But I highly doubt that will happen .
This law is good & here to stay regardless of what government we will have moving forward....IMO

Top Bottom