Nelson for NewYears - where to go?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So we are thinking about heading out to Nelson for NewYears, have some friends there and do lots of quading there, but never been sleddin there. Just wondering if anyone can recommend some areas to try.

I know I have been up to the SnowWater cabin there in the summer, is there typically enough snow around there for the end of December? How about up Barrett? Lost Lake? SheepCreek?

thanks

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends what you’re looking for, the two areas you mention Sheep and Barrett at that time of year can be nasty for Avy activity the valleys are steep and at points are very narrow if it let’s go they cross over the valley floor and up the other side and accessing Barrett several run out’s to cross over. Got involved in a rescue last February at Barrett a skier triggered one in there late in the afternoon got strained through some trees partial burial and a broken leg a call went into Snowater and dispatched Helicopter two rescue techs were dropped off just before night fall everyone come down off the mountain that day, guy got real lucky. I much prefer spring riding in this area at least wait until those side hills let loose. Lost Lake never sledded up into just took the Jeep in for the first time this fall to fish it seems not as bad as Barrett.
On a good note there are some great areas to be had this time of year, if you want to ride groomed trails warm up in the cabins there are local clubs offer trail passes and lots of info on areas. Or give me a PM I am around at New years can hook up for a ride.

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends……. did you break something! The deck, Gill vents or the Super~Q lol..
ya Dave it is..
So Nelson area New Years always a great time. Usually we head up the cabin get the fire going have a blast. The ride last year was bad 4 Ft of fluff snow not many got to far and there was a point where getting stuck was ridiculous. You will have to stop in at the Erie Creek lodge best ride of the year, New Year’s Day and its only way to start off the year. So how do we know each other?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Dave, I spoke with you at your shop when I picked up some gill vents for my XP. We talked about your place in Salmo and about some of the trails around. I was actually going to give you a call to get some ideas for where to head. We are going for sure, likely head out the 30th or 31st and return the 3rd. Hopefully they keep getting some snow, I know its quite far out.

Thanks
Dan

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like SS said, Barrett and Sheep are risky early in the year plus Sheep ck has new Caribou closures up Wolf, Curtis, Panther and at the end too I believe. It's all in the hunting regs. Sucks. :mad:

If we keep getting snow like we've been getting, Giveout will be good by New Years, and safe area for the most part. Porcupine (NCC) apparently has another agreement with Beaver Mountain snowmobilers and Creston club - no riding before Dec 15. :rolleyes:

A buddy was up Norns (Goose ck) on Sunday - 4' at the cabin (2' base, 2' fresh powder) didn't attempt the airport but lots of tracks heading that way and the Krazy Canadian says 5' up Mackie, so looks like it's the start of a great year. :D

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Dave, I spoke with you at your shop when I picked up some gill vents for my XP. We talked about your place in Salmo and about some of the trails around. I was actually going to give you a call to get some ideas for where to head. We are going for sure, likely head out the 30th or 31st and return the 3rd. Hopefully they keep getting some snow, I know its quite far out.

Thanks
Dan

Yes right thanks, Dan I’ll send you a PM with some photos on some areas you can check out! Koot Kat is right Sheep Cr I have not been into for a few years and new area closers up top, not sure what you’re driving but the road is not trailer friendly. We were going to head out this weekend and scout around, lots of logging activity over the summer not sure what the access is like. I took a bad fall off my horse have a few cracked ribs this is holding me back right now. My 900 is in the shop getting a face lift but the M8 ready to rip! Give me a call anytime and if you need a place to stay let me know my folks have a real nice Motel in town. Keep in touch.

Link to Red Mountian camera, you can watch the snow falling!
Ski Vacations at Red Mountain Resort in Rossland, BC - Live Cams

Reaction score
Dave we should get a few riders together for a new years day ride this year,
Providing I'm not as hung over as I was last year. lol
guess it will be another year in the Salmo hotel for new years was a good time last year till you finally dragged me out at 2:30 am. lol
Well at least I didn't drive. tks!
Is stocky coming out this year?
Man cant wait to get out this year.

Top Bottom