Need suggestion on tow vehicle

Samsung3

Reaction score
Wife and I are looking to buy a 30ft TT that will be around 7600-8000lbs. We need to buy a tow vehicle first.
Ford dealer said the 2010 F150 FX4 with tow package would tow 11000lbs. My concern that it I will soon regret buying an under powered truck.
They also have a used 2008 F350 Diesel with 50,000k on it.
THe truck we buy will also be the wifes daily driver to take kids to school/go to gym/spend my money at mall :mad: . She doesnt drive far at all.

Any suggestions you guys have for a good vehcile for us would be very helpful. Im lost in all of this and dont trust car salesmen.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Deisel would be ideal but doesnt make a good vehicle for short trips,especially in the winter.they take quite awhile to warm up.Also maintenance is substantially more money on a deisel. If your not looking to pull the camper at mach chicken the F 150 would probably be a better pick. It all depends on how much towing compared to daily driving you plan on doing. Hope this helps.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry to say that you are in a fine pickle. I would suggest you buy a one ton diesel and a small run about for the daily jaunts. Safety is what you should be keeping in mind. Be sure you have enough truck for the load.

smokindiesel

Reaction score
I would suggest that the f150 would be a little lite for that load, it can do it but not as well as a 3/4 ton. IF your a ford guy look at the superdutys, they are a way better truck than the f150 is and they can hual a good load easyer. I would not recomend a newer ford diesel, They get really poor milage and will be very expensive to repair. Now if you want to get a dodge 3/4 or 1 ton(they are just about the same) I would recomend going for the diesil. The cummins in the dodge is the more cost friendly when it comes to repairs, and they are really reliable. I would recomend a 5.9 cummins 2007 or older, they work better than the new 6.7s. Yes the diesel will take longer to warm up and not be as nice as a gas truck for daily short trips. A gas truck 3/4 ton or 1 ton would be the best for a daily driver in winter.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
8000lbs is a little much for it the f150 will do it on flat roads any large climb
you will suffer i pull a 19 78 24"holiday trailer no problem then i went a 2006
24"and about 6000Lbs still haul it but it was hard the F150 I bought F250
superduty diesel and never look back with the truck and trailer and quad,dirtbike weight out at 15000 lbs i get about 22mpg .Been that i do my own services iuse top line sync oil it cost about $102 for oil $29 for a filter
I could get about 10-14000 k.m between changes and$78 for fuel filters
I drive it everyday to work and back and everything in between what get for fuel mileage and the easy of hauling a load its best investment .Hauling a trailer threw B.C never been so easy and safer.Unless i deside to down
size i never go back 1/2 ton.Throse are true cost because i just finish doing a service

Transporter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend pulls a 32 foot saber fithwheel with his supercrew gets great mileage and has good power.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you go with the 2010 f150 you will have no issues with power or drivability,be it stopping going or whatever, with that load. i pulled heavier than that with my 09 through the mountains and had no problems with keeping speed up at 110 or stopping. in 09 ford changed the transmission shift point, as well as going to a 6 spd, as well as changing the engine somewhat. i am very happy with mine. fuel mileage was around 12mpg when loaded to the max but empty the wife was getting just over 30 mpg on the high way. 9l/100km to be exact. best i could get was 11. truck must hate me or something:rolleyes:. with the bigger tires i installed now we average around 12l/100km. question you have to ask yourself , how often do i pull the trailer and how much dailey putsin around will i do? the f150 would be my choice. cheaper to buy, can get loaded to the max with options for the same as a plain jane rolly windowed diesel, which results in way better resale,and a lot nicer ride, cheaper maintenance, and better reliability than the dieselas out nowadays.jmo.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Go with the diesel, and you'll never be questioned about the weight requirements or lack of power traveling with the trailer!!!!....... Plug the truck in, in the winter, and it will be fine. Also put a winter front on. No problem.

bigdaddy35

Reaction score
I agree with everyone so far. The F150 will leave you wanting/needing more truck in the future as it's a bit light for the load. IMO, consider at least a 3/4 ton, but perhaps a 1ton to give you some room to carry more toys.

Gas vs Diesel is a different horse. Pick what works best for you. There are good and bad to both.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to get rid of my Fargo with training wheels and a Cummins because I definately notice my 32 Footer behind it. These f-150's sound like a towing machine.

pirate31red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got tired of buying deisel trucks that cost to much in every aspect so i baught a 2010 f-250 with a v-10 not the greatest on gas but with a few tweaks it pulls like a mother if you add up all the extra costs of a deisel including initial price,hihger maintenance costs you can pay for alot of gas and far better for short trips and mall runs

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got tired of buying deisel trucks that cost to much in every aspect so i baught a 2010 f-250 with a v-10 not the greatest on gas but with a few tweaks it pulls like a mother if you add up all the extra costs of a deisel including initial price,hihger maintenance costs you can pay for alot of gas and far better for short trips and mall runs

What little tweaks have you done? I have a 2009 F350 with the V-10.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

yes but now you can get the 6.2 in the 2011 3/4s and the 1/2ton raptors. 411hp and 405 ft/lbs of torque. and with a few minor mods motor trend says you can easy push over 500hp out of it SSWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just sayin.........................
oh and they look really cool to.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The V10 is a joke. Have one at work. The thing empty is gutless, loaded it is WOT to even get it to move. Granted it's a F550 but not much weight in the box, a f350 with a trailer will be just as bad. If you pull heavy often you won't be happy. I absolutely cannot stand driving it.

Diesels hold their value so well. That $8k or whatever option it is, you will MORE then get back when you sell it.

All depends what your needs are. But that kind of trailer if I was pulling it often it wouldn't be behind a 1500.

I don't even tow/haul often and I got a 3500 dually. I use it as my grocery getter around town. Who cares, maintaince is cheap on diesels unless it's a new DPF one. Good on fuel, etc.

On a deserted road turn off your brake controler, see how well those half ton brakes stop that load. It might make you want to rethink you decision, compared to how fast a one ton will stop it. I've had brakes fail once with a one ton and 12,000lbs, it's not fun. If it's a half ton, you will take literly MILES to stop.

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a way I disagree with you. My V10 is not lacking any sort of power, in the winter pulling my enclosed trailer with 3 sleds and 2 on the deck gear and riders I manage between 10 - 13 mpg. I know it's not the best, but from what I have heard some peeps say it is almost the same as some of the diesels are getting before they do upgrades, tuners, DPF deletes etc.

pirate31red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a way I disagree with you. My V10 is not lacking any sort of power, in the winter pulling my enclosed trailer with 3 sleds and 2 on the deck gear and riders I manage between 10 - 13 mpg. I know it's not the best, but from what I have heard some peeps say it is almost the same as some of the diesels are getting before they do upgrades, tuners, DPF deletes etc.

ive learned on this site so far that cyle seems to know it all and has one of everything.anyway for tweaks i have a cold air intake high flow dual exhaust a programmer braught the milage up abit but not great goes good tho i have a 31.5 5th wheel and itll tow it just fine

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive learned on this site so far that cyle seems to know it all and has one of everything.anyway for tweaks i have a cold air intake high flow dual exhaust a programmer braught the milage up abit but not great goes good tho i have a 31.5 5th wheel and itll tow it just fine

I tried to read what you said but I draw a blank on words like "braught" and "tho". Maybe you should go back to school and learn basic english skills before you try and insult someone. But you can gladly go shove those words in the you know what.

pirate31red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried to read what you said but I draw a blank on words like "braught" and "tho". Maybe you should go back to school and learn basic english skills before you try and insult someone. But you can gladly go shove those words in the you know what.

there's nothing wrong with my spelling some of it is just shortened up abit.i bet you draw alot of blanks dont you

Transporter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never read a bad thing about the v10's except for fuel mileage. Thousands of them on the road in motorhomes never owned though. Your trucks going to be worth nothing in a couple years sure if its a diesel it will be worth more but it cost more in the first place. This forum is getting to be a joke people wondering about towing all the time. Check the manufactures numbers buy a trailer accordingly and go from there pull a little heavier or lighter if you want its your choice. They are all going to suck the fuel and eventually breakdown, some sooner than others. Six speed transmissions and different gearings make comparing trucks almost impossible.Changing tires sizes can make a good truck into a dog it plays a huge part in towing ability. One guy might figure his truck sucks because he cant tow at 140mph up river hills the next guy is happy towing at 50mph. Everyone knows diesels are better towing but for a couple times a year probably not worth it. It all seems like a no brainer especially if you dont have one or the other yet just buy accordingly.

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What programer are you running ? I am looking for one. I have not found one that lists for my truck.

Top Bottom