Need rider reviews of Trygstad 872 ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not gunna lie. with the amount of pm s i have had with other guys engines cooked.... i dont think i will be putting another one it. i think i will ask them to return to stock and refund me my money on the kit that they failed to provide me the documentation. after that i think i will go get an aerocharger and be done with this crap. but we will see what comes of the situation

Not gonna lie hearing about these sleds going down during break in has me a little worried since the carbon chassis has a tendency to over heat especially on easy trail rides.

Gunner66

Reaction score
That's not what I wanted to hear especially knowing I already have cooling issues. From everything I've read so far the 872 is a great performer and very reliable but it seems that is if you get through the break in period. I remember reading somewhere about a guy that wanted to break one of these motors on a stand. Now normally with my other motors I've broken them in by varying the throttle for the first 20-40 km then ride it like you normally ride but it seems this motor needs to babied for at least 200km with little load. So would break in on a stand work better? Assuming you have a way to cool it. I know Tukernator has some quick cooling carts from drag racing, so I wonder if this could be a safer way of breaking in the motor at least in my case with a carbon chassis. But then I guess you would run in to the problem of not being able to put any load on it and not break it in properly. I guess Brian and I have some more stuff to talk about before we install this kit in my sled.

Last edited:

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing I remember with the 880, bit more cylinder clearence, but you drive it like you stole it from day one... Fairly hard to go mountain riding and have it not pined some of the day let alone all day..

hope its a fluke incident, have a buddy waiting on his kit as well..

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not gunna lie. with the amount of pm s i have had with other guys engines cooked.... i dont think i will be putting another one it. i think i will ask them to return to stock and refund me my money on the kit that they failed to provide me the documentation. after that i think i will go get an aerocharger and be done with this crap. but we will see what comes of the situation
I've done 9 of these engines and haven't lost one to poor break in Just finishing up a 09 872R and I will go throw30- 40 km on this one and release it to the owner explaining Break in, Fuel and jetting .

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's not what I wanted to hear especially knowing I already have cooling issues. From everything I've read so far the 872 is a great performer and very reliable but it seems that is if you get through the break in period. I remember reading somewhere about a guy that wanted to break one of these motors on a stand. Now normally with my other motors I've broken them in by varying the throttle for the first 20-40 km then ride it like you normally ride but it seems this motor needs to babied for at least 200km with little load. So would break in on a stand work better? Assuming you have a way to cool it. I know Tukernator has some quick cooling carts from drag racing, so I wonder if this could be a safer way of breaking in the motor at least in my case with a carbon chassis. But then I guess you would run in to the problem of not being able to put any load on it and not break it in properly. I guess Brian and I have some more stuff to talk about before we install this kit in my sled.
Peter your motor is a R right ?The Carbon fiber chassis does scary me because of the poor cooling system if we can't add more cooling I'm not sure it would be a good idea?But we can chat about are options Cheers Brian

FarFrmStock

Reaction score
Hmmm?
Black marks on primary?
Sounds like clutch problems also.
Shouldn't be leaving black marks.
I think he means that the clutches were marked so he could see the belt ride on the clutches...good method for getting the clutch work dialed in.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No no body wants to comment?
48-60 MPH? Track length and snow conditions? .highvoltagesledhead get 54-57 with his 163x3x16 that with 7 Tooth driver too so minus for Drivers.The nice thing about the E-tec is we can hook it to Buds and it tells us everything RPM,HEAT and the most important one throttle % while in Break in. Cheers Brian

Last edited:

dbest

Reaction score
No no body wants to comment?
My 872R with a 154 x 2.5" peak track geared at roughly 2.33 pulls 95 km/h in fresh snow climbing. The etec 872 with stock 154 x 2.5" geared at 2.33 is a slower by a few km/hr head to head.
I have been very happy with both engines! I have a T3 and will run an 872 or turbo and I'm leaning towards turbo cause i have never had one and 240 hp sounds like a blast!!

XP2009

Reaction score

I understand that a lot of guys with cooked motors are reluctant to comment publicly; especially if they haven't resolved there issues with Dave. But I do think these engine failures should be brought to light; due to improper breakin or what ever reason they are all of a sudden going down. I encourage the guys with issues to step forward (not to bash) and give the facts of there individual case.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand that a lot of guys with cooked motors are reluctant to comment publicly; especially if they haven't resolved there issues with Dave. But I do think these engine failures should be brought to light; due to improper breakin or what ever reason they are all of a sudden going down. I encourage the guys with issues to step forward (not to bash) and give the facts of there individual case.

I fully agree. That's the problem with all this aftermarket stuff. Couple guys raving It's the greatest thing ever and 10x that many people that won't say anything about it because they don't want to burn any bridges or whatever

Gunner66

Reaction score
Peter your motor is a R right ?The Carbon fiber chassis does scary me because of the poor cooling system if we can't add more cooling I'm not sure it would be a good idea?But we can chat about are options Cheers Brian

Yup my motor is a R not a E-tec. Ya I have added engine ice coolant and an extra set of scratchers to the skis to help but those are kinda band aid fixes that don't fix the real problem just gives me a little extra time before it heats up. I've read that fredw is having CR racing work on his cooling system so maybe we'll see how that works out for him.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I fully agree. That's the problem with all this aftermarket stuff. Couple guys raving It's the greatest thing ever and 10x that many people that won't say anything about it because they don't want to burn any bridges or whatever

Can't do that on this site remember, it will get deleted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why don't we see what the story is on the failed engines before we throw Dave's kits under the bus? I know of a few guys firsthand that run these kits and have had no issues and love them. There are a lot of these kits out there that are running great and Dave is a respected builder that wants feedback all the time from his customers. He doesn't hide out like some builders that have been well known to this site and taken advantage of peeps. Just my 2 cents...

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the problem is that when a kit builder like him gets super busy, word gets around and alot of people start buying them. Sometimes it is people that shouldnt be riding something modded period. Alot of this stuff is getting more and more bulletproof, but its still a mod. To say that you didnt know it was supposed to be broke in??? Sorry.....you shouldnt stray from stock anything.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very well said Dean. Mods are just that and it takes a bit of time to set one up .
Have had a few of them and it's not just a bolt on and go with any of them.
Anyone that thinks a turbo is bolt on and go will be disappointed as well.
Again well said.

allrevsrule

Reaction score
I agree with Snopro ! Not a better person then Dave Trygstad period. He knows what he is doing his product is the best out there and tuned properly no other NA sled will out perform the 872. I have ran it for four seasons and a lot of KM per year. Never never had his parts fail. I am sure it will be resolved and issue solved and be happy sledding again!

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I completely agree with this comment. when i made this post i was expecting the guys that had issues that are pm ing me to tell me straight up before i went and pulled the trigger on this motor. But my case is special BECAUSE of the fact that the paperwork that has break in info was never seen with my own two eyes. and the information they gave me in regards to break in was pretty much what FredW posted about his 880. So i dont know whats going to come out of this but i am prepared to see a lawyer about the documents i was supposed to receive upon purchase of my kit.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I completely agree with this comment. when i made this post i was expecting the guys that had issues that are pm ing me to tell me straight up before i went and pulled the trigger on this motor. But my case is special BECAUSE of the fact that the paperwork that has break in info was never seen with my own two eyes. and the information they gave me in regards to break in was pretty much what FredW posted about his 880. So i dont know whats going to come out of this but i am prepared to see a lawyer about the documents i was supposed to receive upon purchase of my kit.

But even without seeing this paper.....you honestly didnt know that you would have to break in a new high performance motor?? Should probably stick to stock from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom