need motor for 03 polaris 800

bdietz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well it was fun while it lasted
was out to cataract today and pushed it a little to hard i guess
second time out with my new purchase and the motor is toast
totally destroyed the right side of my engine the piston is in a thousand pieces
The sled is a 2001 Polaris 800 RMK with a 2003 engine with electronic reverse
would like to find another 03 engine or fix this one
anyone know where I can get a motor for a decent price or can the right side be changed out

where could I get my crank rebuilt

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i beleive theses engines had weak cranks. (my buddy owns one, 3 blown cranks)

Indy Dan in Idaho does upgrades to the case to allow wider bearings.

albertasummitx

Reaction score
you need to get the updated crank-the old one has split bearings ,new one has 1 wide bearing.then u need to get case halves machined because the case will not fit the big bearing with the little groove from the 2-split bearings.my buddies all sent them 2 prince george to get maching done.then just start buying part's lol , chitty but my buddy say's" u gotta pay to play ,and dont cheap out".:beer:

94fordguy

i beleive theses engines had weak cranks. (my buddy owns one, 3 blown cranks)

Indy Dan in Idaho does upgrades to the case to allow wider bearings.

Wow!

Yes it is true the cranks in the 800 big blocks were prone to failure, but it is moreso a problem of quality control. If you know someone who has blown 3 cranks, it is because the cases are SHOT, get yourself a new set of cases and you will likely not blow any more cranks.

I've got 3,000 hard miles on my 02 800 RMK, no motor issues:d

Yes, the Wide bearing is a very good thing to have done, if you do have a bum set of cases, it will extend the crank life substantially.:beer:

bdietz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i think it was the piston that failed or the connecting rod

I guess thats what you get when you buy a polaris

I had a 600 tripple that was crap too

next one will be a doo or a cat I think

polaris still cant build a good motor sounds like

Hirmkin

Reaction score
Indy Dan is in Minnesota. I have one of his short blocks and it's worth every penny i paid for it.

hilinerider

Reaction score
get a hold of indydan from indyspecialties, warranties his work for 3 yrs regardless and his work is excellent, he's on the forum and he sell on ebay

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow!

Yes it is true the cranks in the 800 big blocks were prone to failure, but it is moreso a problem of quality control. If you know someone who has blown 3 cranks, it is because the cases are SHOT, get yourself a new set of cases and you will likely not blow any more cranks.

I've got 3,000 hard miles on my 02 800 RMK, no motor issues:d

Yes, the Wide bearing is a very good thing to have done, if you do have a bum set of cases, it will extend the crank life substantially.:beer:

Buddy had issues until he sent his case to Indy Dan for machine work and an upgrade crank. No problems since.

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Precise engne in Sask also does good work out of there i know alot of people that use them I would talk to jim. Had my 03 done there and no complaints. He does the wide brg like tricity polaris and machines the cases and/or head

Top Bottom