need info on a teather

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here is a pic not the best took with my phone it only has one out the back
thanks slam, someone has changed out the head or complete engine in your rig. should be fairly easy to rig a tether, just find one used from a salvage yard or get a new one for a non DESS sled, wire it into your kill switch system and Bob's your uncle.

you will need the complete assembly, post and tether cord.

theslam19_98

Reaction score
ok thanks so much for all your help now here is my last thing i need to ask about this, any one have a old teather and post and a bit of info on how to do this ,this is my first sled and i am just learning pm me if any one has one thanks , this form rocks thanks for every ones help

vanislerev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cant remove the DESS... i wish you could. i had to get towed out in december because of that stupid thing. Now i always keep a spare cord with me. this was on a 09 sled too... think they would have it figured out by now

Doo799

Reaction score
the first four numbers on the tunnel of your sled might help you that is your model#
98 summit x 670 1307 (canadian model)
1310 ( us model)
99 summit x 670 1406 (can)
1407 ( us)
you can program up to 8 different tethers on one sled.If you get a new tether programmed ask them to remove all the old ones off your sled.If you ride with several other dess sleds you can program their tethers into your sled or program one spare tether for everybodies sled. You can also use a non programmed tether to leave your sled warm up and no one can take off with it.The post on the dess needs to have a connection between the center pin and the outer ring to start but needs the ID in the tether to go above 2500rpm. So someone either connected the two wires behind the post or you have some shorted wires.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it looks as though someone has either swapped the engine out or removed the mpem from the sled Mitch, will his dess post and a new unprogrammed dess tether still let a non mpem engine start and run normally as long as the cap is making contact?

Doo799

Reaction score
it looks as though someone has either swapped the engine out or removed the mpem from the sled Mitch, will his dess post and a new unprogrammed dess tether still let a non mpem engine start and run normally as long as the cap is making contact?
No i don't think it will work because the dess cdi box needs to see that tether id to work. It would work with a non dess cdi and a dess tether but this is becoming complicated without knowing what it has.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No i don't think it will work because the dess cdi box needs to see that tether id to work. It would work with a non dess cdi and a dess tether but this is becoming complicated without knowing what it has.
from his pics and info provided, the engine is a standard (non HO) 670, oil injection deleted, twin pipes, year unknown.

I know how much you used to dislike working on other guys' modded stuff (like mine...lol). after all these years, I'm finally heeding your advice to me....."leave it alone...." :d :beer:

as always, you're info is good stuff. thanks.

theslam19_98

Reaction score
ok thiss what i have come up with talking to the guys at Quantum Velocity they said because it has a big bore kit in it they said that some one changed out the cdi box because it is a 98 summit X with a 670 board out to 740 so they said they can wire in a teather for me no probem so i will keep sleding till payday then i will get it done thanks every one for all the help

xpsledneck

Reaction score
i dont think you can wire it but u could try relocating it to a different spot. i have never had a problem with my dess. one way you can tell if u have DESS is look at the post if it has a button it is not DESS if it has a shiney pin that u cant push down it is DESS.

Top Bottom