need hepl!!! suspension sag!

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got a 900 rmk and when u lift up the rear bumper and let it go the susp sags a couple inches. then u push down on the bumper and let off, and it dosnt come fully back up on its own. is this normal? need heavier springs? my 03 rmk did it to. the 900 has only 1300 miles on it and im a heavier guy 275 ish. dads XP does it too but only an inch maybe.:(

sleddude

Reaction score
Not to sure what to tell you. I have the same sled with similar miles and it does the same thing. Different springs might help but your best bet is to get the shocks re-charged and lubed. I had this done last season and it help a bit but you should keep asking around as this did not fully fix my problem.

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is this when the sled has snow in the track or dry out of the garage? if its with snow in the track it will happen it does to every sled a lot of weight bring the suspension down my 2 cents worth.

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cycle works said bring the rear shock in and they need to recharge it. but im not fans of them. heavier springs prolly wouldnt hurt cuz it bottoms out a bit wit me on it. maybe new shock? i dunno

benamen

Reaction score
Have a look at the block that cradles the short end of the square spring. Sounds like the block needs to be rotated with the tallest portion resting against the spring. Pull the pins out of the cradle on the long end of the springs, take the springs out of that cradle to take the tension off, rotate the block as stated and return the long end of the spring back into the cradle. Should be a ten minute fix if that is the problem

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya i hear ya. but sittn in the heated shop dry for two days and still.....

my 08 does the same thing with the spring block on the stiffest setting and the rear shock compression on the stiffest setting. Need stiffer springs ive been told, even 09s have this problem. im thinking about lowering my rear suspension hanger because i like my suspension and it is still like new so i dont think my suspension has sagged

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got a 900 rmk and when u lift up the rear bumper and let it go the susp sags a couple inches. then u push down on the bumper and let off, and it dosnt come fully back up on its own. is this normal? need heavier springs? my 03 rmk did it to. the 900 has only 1300 miles on it and im a heavier guy 275 ish. dads XP does it too but only an inch maybe.:(

Not sure I can help out on that one. Still haven't figured out the sag in the wife's boobs or the dropped rear end.:p

rmkrider

Reaction score
im not sure if it would be the same thing but i know with some of the xp's they were coming about 30-40 psi low from factory... try recharging the shock. if ur not a fan of cycle works theres a guy just off whitemud to the south on 36th street called the mexican he recharges there. if it doesnt fix the problem id suggest new springs

draggon7

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing, I bought new heavy duty springs for 100 bucks and replaced them. Real easy to do and makes a real big difference. Also adjust the blocks to max and you should be fine. The first thing that i did was send in my rear shock and there was nothing wrong with it. Have 600 miles on mine since and works fantastic.:d

fyshstick

Reaction score
mine does it aswell i have the stiffer springs and the blocks are set on the highest setting might need to check the shock

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i can't remember the number but i think the suspension is suppose to have 4 inches of sag from fully extended with the riders weight on it. It says in the owners manual the number for sure tho.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 09 800 155 sags 3-4 inches have heavy springs.have adjusters on low setting, has never bottomed out.shock seems to work better after warming up.

Smithys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 06 FST Turbo Switchback does the same thing. I have the block on set on the long side and seems to make no difference. My suspension sags 3-4 inches. I am probally going to look at heavy set of springs and see if that works.

benamen

Reaction score
The deep snow manual (page 11.11 of 2005 manual) indicates that there should be no less than 3" and no more than 5" of sag (4" is ideal) when a rideris on the sled. Take a measurement of the bumper height at full extension, have the rider drop down hard on the suspension, bounce on it a few times and then take a second measurement of the bumper height with the rider seated.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they all sag a bit, sit on it and it will go down again. ever sit on a dirt bike. they sag. I think it sags so when the track comes off the ground it has more travel to absorb the bumps. just my 2 cent lol.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
droop suspension, like pro trucks and buggies. The suspension sags to keep the vehicle low for handling and when it goes over whoops the truck stays in the same place and the suspension goes up and down to keep speed, and goes down off jumps for larger travel like this truck, i say it has some suspension sag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WdhXlLCFgY

Top Bottom