need help....

jackshaft

Reaction score
i have a 98 polaris 700, and i recently put a slp single pipe on. i did all the upgrades to slps specs as far as clutching and carbs. fired it up to give it a try and no go... it revs to 6000 and slowly creeps to 7000-7100. i played a bit with different weights and springs and some minor carb adjustments but nothing. so i put it all back to factory specs except the pipe as i dont have the factory pipe anymore, and still does the same thing. compression is 120 mag and 115 pto,new plugs, tried different coil,checked for back pressure, tried different weights from lighter to heavier, different springs, adjusted carbs 6 ways to sunday, hell i even talked nice to it, but i seem to be at a loss... anyone have any ideas on where to go now? i was told to look into the timing, but hell i am only a plumber...

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Did you change Pilot jets ?? & adjust air screws, Check if carbs are in syn & slides are set to speck ?:confused:

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Are The Slides Inside The Carbueretor Bottomed On The Idle Stops, Or Are They Opened Up Quite A Bit?? It's Obviously Something You Did In Your Procedure, Since It Worked Okay Before, And Basically All You Did Was Adjustments According To Slp. Have You Checked All The Vacuum Hoses And Make Sure None Are Cracked?? Sounds Like A Severe Vacuum Leak. Timing Won't Cause Idle To Rev Like That. Check The Carb Boots, And Also Doo You Have A Boost Bottle On The Carb Boots, Or Did You Forget To Put It Back On??? Could The Carb Boots Be Cracked?? Let Us Know What You Find

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey jackshaft, do you mean it idles at 7000RPM, or will not rev any higher than 7000RPM?

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Hey jackshaft, do you mean it idles at 7000RPM, or will not rev any higher than 7000RPM?

THANKS, 2003..... I WAS JUST GONNA POST THAT TOO..... IF ITS IDLING AT 7000RPMS, THEN ITS A VACUUM LEAK(BIG ONE)..... IF IT WON'T REV ANYWHERE OVER 7000RPM, THEN ITS A CLUTCHING/BELT PROBLEM.:confused:

BIGFOOT

Reaction score

Looks like he said it revs up to 6000..... I have miss read & misunderstood what he said..... I thought it was picking up rev by itself, That is another story.... I think ya got it right 2003Summit !

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Looks like he said it revs up to 6000..... I have miss read & misunderstood what he said..... I thought it was picking up rev by itself, That is another story.... I think ya got it right 2003Summit !

YA, ME TOO.... I THOUGHT IT WAS IDLING UP TO 6000 RPMS.... NEED MORE INFO!!!!

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think he means it revs to 6000 when he hits the throttle and then slowly climbs to 7.
Anyhow jackshaft, are you sure you got the right pipe? Did you buy new or used? Where do you live? Maybe someone has a stock pipe laying around so you could troubleshoot.

162 Wizzy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check your reeds......................I had the same sled and had the similar condition in the mountains. Found V-force carbon fiber reed pedals had broken at the ends screwing up the air-fuel mixture. Would seem to run fine until you got it up to the 6000 range then fall right off. Just my :twocents:

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Hey 'Jackshaft'..... Start from the start... Does it start & idle fine, If so when ya bring rev up slowly, What rpm does the clutch start to engage. Another thing ya can do is remove the belt & go thru same check. You tell us it revs to 6000 then slow upward..... What I am trying to think thru is how is it running prior to 6000 ! Would be great if ya can give us step by step checks ! So one can see if it is Pre or Post clutch engagement. Thks. :(

Top Bottom