Need help with purchase of next sled

Polaris Indy Trail

Reaction score
I have a Polaris Indy Trail 2 up (a good family sled) but now looking at getting at sled for me. Was thinking between 2008 + with a 136"-144" track (never been to the mountains so into trail riding for now) between a 600-800 cc. A friend of mine is suggesting a Yamaha Nytro because of the 4stroke (but im not sure). I don't personally care for the look of the Yamy's so hence looking for feedback for a good used 600-800 that can handle trail riding (with the odd time with a passenger) and perhaps something that could handle the mountains for the off chance that I might go one time or 2. Looking for feedback as well on the Nytros (4stroke, weight, etc). Thanks

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get off the trail a time or 2? - said no one ever. once you hit the powder you'll never wanna leave lol

Nytro's are heavier than most other sleds, really powerful and good throttle response with the 4 stroker, but not the greatest for passengers. makes cornering a lot harder with the way their designed, skinny/short seat and the rider-forward ergos make it difficult. you'll never do any engine work if you leave it stock though, bullet proof engines. Good luck and have fun in the mountains, Ive only done 2 seasons in the mountains, was scared to climb at first and afraid of deep snow, now all I do is hunt for the steep and deep.

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If not brand loyal like a lot of opinions will be from others, look at the Ski-doo renegade, Polaris switchback, or the Arctic cat F series and ya your nytro idea lol. All the models I said come in a 600 or a 800 but once you have an 800 you wont go back. Yamaha is only the 4 stroke and rest are 2 stroke. Yamaha I find you trade lightweight for reliability. So do research on all of em. Its all about be comfortable so go sit on em at the sled show. Never buy a sled cause someone says its better then the other cause of brand. Look em up, they all have there pros and cons. There is bad years and good years for each brand. It wont be hard to find your new sled :beer:

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider is dealer support. We do 90% of our own work on our sleds but a good dealer is everything in this sport.
Cat, Polaris or Doo all make good sleds and each has its strong point. We suggest looking at crossover sleds if you plan on going to the mountains and still would like a good trail sled. We get a lot of clients that come from Sask. that ride mountain sled in the flat lands as well so don't be afraid of trying a few longer sleds out.
Most people think that long sled are harder to ride and don't turn well. Often you will find that longer sleds are easer to ride and turn nearly as well as the shorter sleds.
Good luck with the sled hunt.

Polaris Indy Trail

Reaction score
Hey man I'll research the Renegade. I think I could love an 800 LOL. Thanks for the reply much appreciated

Polaris Indy Trail

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the feedback. Ya I hear the 4strokes can sure pack on the miles but yes I hear they are heavy and not great for doubling. I promised I would try the mountains out at least once which Im looking forward to. In the meantime Ill keep researching for a crossover sled. Thnks for the reply much appreciated!

Polaris Indy Trail

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the feedback ab the renegade, switchback and F series. Yes good point ab the sled show I will attend the next one for sure. Wish me luck :)

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try the mtns. He he he.

Started just like you my man. "hey - I will just try it"

Best friend at the time said - you will love it or hate it. And if you love it, it is an addition worse than crack. He was absolutely right......

I went through everything. First a trail sled. Then an X model after realizing that trail sled was way too soft for jumping ditches. Then a Renegade (136) after boondocking trail sled up near Edson for a couple months. Lengthened the Renegade ($$) after first going to the mountains. Sold Renegade soon thereafter as I realized uncoupled skid was where it was at in the mountains, Bought mtn sled (144) as they told me I would not be able to trail ride anything longer. Soon realized too short for mountains and a 154 was good enough for riding around here on the trails. Bought 154 and rode for a season. Decided go big or go home. Gave 154 to daughter and bought a 163 800. Then another. And so on.. Now building turbo....... LOL Looks stupid when you write it down.

My $0.02 for what it is worth. We live in one of the best places in the world for mountain riding - world class in 4 - 5 hours. Go rent something in Golden, Revy or Vale for a couple of days. See if you like it. A 154 or 155 mountain sled will make a passable trail sled around here with scratchers. Not like Ontario or Quebec where guys are putting on 150 - 200km a day. A trail sled will not make a passable mountain sled. Cause if you catch the mountain bug, the trail rides will only be for a quick fix until your next trip up to the mountains..

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
indy trial 488 or larger? nice all round sled is an 08-11 m6 or m8 153 not to long best of both worlds reliable, fun, efi, reverse easy to start..
take you anywhere, and you could get a two up set adapter for it... if you wanted or the older m seat fits all models and you can double on it no problem..
i wouldnt rule out the four strokes, just cause a sled is lighter doesnt mean better. but they are different an you need to use the power to move them around... the nytro xtx is a great machine for all round use, it is heavier but the customers who have them love them for trails and 144 tracks are good off trail.... unless your doing a dec run....or going with some hill climbers... lol i have taken people to the hills with 136 tracks and they did "OK" just have to know when to go and with whom... good luck...

thats my two cents

Terry

Polaris Indy Trail

Reaction score
Ya I have the Indy Trail 488. Thanks for the info ab the m6s and the m8s I will research them. I tend to agree with you ab getting a 144. Ill research the nytro xtx. From what I see so far people say the 4stroke Yammys can sure pack on the miles. Thanks again for the info!

Top Bottom