need help with 97 summit trailing arms

srxhair

Reaction score
i bought a 97 summit 583 last year and it has two different trailing arms .i dont know if either one is correct but it sits slanted.if some one has a summit from 96 or 97 i would like to measure and compare if possible.thanks

Wally in Calgary

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i bought a 97 summit 583 last year and it has two different trailing arms .i dont know if either one is correct but it sits slanted.if some one has a summit from 96 or 97 i would like to measure and compare if possible.thanks
Here's a service manual that has parts also. You should be able to find out there. http://chadt.us/snowmobilemanuals/s1997/WELCOME.PDF -
You can download it and save it.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My freind has the same problem 99summit we didn't know it till we were in moutains handle like crap I'll do a little reseach get back to you

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
how do you mean slanted? wider at the front than the back?
Maybe 1 is from a summit and 1 from a MXZ each has a different ski stance or the raidas rods are from another machine I beleive the summit has a 37" ski stance and the MXZ has a 41" ski stance. If someone crashed it and replaced the parts with MXZ stuff it will be wider on one side than the other.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how do you mean slanted? wider at the front than the back?
Maybe 1 is from a summit and 1 from a MXZ each has a different ski stance or the raidas rods are from another machine I beleive the summit has a 37" ski stance and the MXZ has a 41" ski stance. If someone crashed it and replaced the parts with MXZ stuff it will be wider on one side than the other.

i thought that the trailing arms were the same, just tie rod and maybe shock difference? may have a bent substructure.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
i thought that the trailing arms were the same, just tie rod and maybe shock difference? may have a bent substructure.

I see on the ski doo web site they have different part numbers

Summit

LH 506133410
RH 506133510

MXZ

LH 506136910
RH 506136810

Maybe this is just different # for color options cause the summits should be black and the mxz yellow

After looking at the royal distributing catalogue all 94-98 summit arms are the same 93-95 mxz are the same but 96-98 are different some s-chassis formula's and grand tourings are the same also.

srxhair

Reaction score
i checked ski doo part no's and they are color specific so you can't cross reference.i also checked my arms and can't find a part no. on them. the aftermarket ones give other models that would fit but i still don't know which one is right or wrong.when i measure the hieght of the bumper centerline i get 17" on one side an 18" on the other.the radious rod is about 1" away from the spindle on the low side and 1/4" away on the high side .

srxhair

Reaction score
does any one know how trailing arms from a 98 mxz 583 will fit,i know they are different but i may get them cheap,how much will it change the front end and in what way?

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
So the sled is leaning more one way than the other? both spring set on the same rate? bad shock?

srxhair

Reaction score
it has two different trailing arms now, one makes it wide and low the other tall and narrow

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We need some pics, this doesn't make sense.

The radius rods or shock length determine the height and width typically. Most of the trailing arms are the exact same for the models (even with different p/n's listed). Unless there is a higher shock mounting point or something on the other one, you might have different years trailing arms on the sled, I'm pretty sure the S-chassis's were all the same.

Please post pics so we can help more.

Top Bottom