Need help 16 Cummins or 15 Silverado 2500 6.0l

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty good deals on either right now. Cummins full load cloth is approx $6500 more than a full load leather chev 2500 w nav but a gas burning 6.0. Used for 10k lb pulling 25% of life rest daily driver. Gm salesman says 6L with 6 speed gets much better fuel mpg than my last 6L a four speed?? Dodge salesman says the cummins will get 5mpg better than the chev?? Ram is discounted 18500 off sticker, chev 16500 below sticker.

Last edited:

gdvross

Reaction score
I think the diesel is the way to go , pulled my 10,000 lb fiver with an older 6.0 and it was a dog . Bought a Duramax and night and day difference.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just pulled the trigger and ordered a 16 cummins. My truck should be here by the beginning of next week so I can't talk about real world experience with it hauling or daily driving. I can say that the test drive (2-3 hours) deffinetly sold me on the deal. I have always been a Chevy/GM guy but the cummins had all of the power and options I could ever want and actually really impressed me. The Chevy 6 speed has sort of been a sore spot for me in my current truck as it seems to be constantly "hunting" and I did not notice this at all in the ram platform. The 6.0l has also always been a pig and really hasn't seen much as far as change goes in the number of years it has been an option. My vote is hands down on the ram side!

On a side note, if you do pick up a ram and are interested in the wheels/tires from a black appearance group truck shoot me a pm. Mine will be removed the day I pick up the truck and sold complete wheels/tires/tpms sensors/lug nuts.

Best of luck on your decision. Cheers!

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I switched up to a 2012 Ram 3500 with the 6.7 and am very happy (see Sledmomma's looking for opinions for some details). I only use the truck for pulling the fifth wheel and the occasional (far to infrequent) sled trip. My opinion of the truck is very high overall but I do not see it as a "short hop to the store" or a "10 minute commute" engine. I like to get everything up to temperature and run it at highways speed for at least 15 minutes. My opinion is that a number of the people having issues with the DPF filter is they let them idle too much and never really get the thing at operating temp for a good period of time.

I can't comment on the newer models using the DEF injection system. I didn't feel like experimenting so that was why I bought the older one.

Most larger gas blocks are hard on fuel. I got rid of my my GM because with a 120 liter tank I only had a 300 KM range pulling my trailer. It was adequate in power (except in the mountains) but I just got tired of constantly planning or the next fuel stop and the sensor issues just kept coming up. Have fun picking.

Top Bottom