Need first timer advice

calltrex

Reaction score
might come to Valemont Feb 15,16

2 concerns..

1- Never been to mountains on sled so complete newbie.

2- my sled is not a mountain sled. its a crossover sled

my sled is a 2014 Cat XF7000 with the new yamaha engine in it. 141" track and 1.6 paddles. i put powder pro skis on.

so is there still lots for me to explore without the steep and deep with my sled??

im not at all expecting to come there and ride through the deep like i have a light mountain sled.

im from Saskatchewan so theres no mountains around here.

i wouldn't care if i was more on trails then off in the deep. go up to some mountain tops for some cool views and pics. dont really care. just dont want to be digging my sled out every 15 minutes or ill just leave it burried. its like 550lbs with full tank

i do have a beacon and stuff. Did just take the AST 1 avy course. just the class and the indoor workshop. so i at least know the basics if i had to do it

what areas would be good for me or where to stay away from?

wheres the cheapest place to stay??

any suggestions or advice would be good.

thanks

Attachments

• GOPR0538 copy.jpg
    GOPR0538 copy.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 422
  • GOPR0537 copy.JPG
    GOPR0537 copy.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 432

minnow10

Reaction score
you will do fine with this machine IMO, Depends on the snow conditions, More times than not you can travel through most areas without problems, find areas to play .knowing what you have before you go is good , Go have fun , enjoy the experience , learn lots of stuff , play safe !

All Three areas n Valemount, get to the cabin and explore from there .

Chalet continental, always clean, inexpensive, nice people

Last edited:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ride with people that you trust and know the area. People have ridden way less mountain friendly sleds in the hills and had a blast.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree! Go have fun! My first trip to the mountains was in 1996 to Valemont and I had a Polaris 1997 XCR 600 triple with triple pipes and a whopping .90 of an inch 121 track!! Did I get stuck, yes, did I have fun, yes! Keep your track speed up and ride smart you will have a blast! The guys I went with were awesome and they were all riding 670 summits or the RMK XLT's with 144 1.5inch tracks.

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you do leave it buried on the hill mark the spot and I'll go get it lol .... There are lots of places to ride with out getting in the deep ... Enjoy yourself and don't worry about being stuck we were all there once and if your with a good group they will help you out

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Stantheman

Reaction score
It will be fun, just don't forget to turn out when you slow down, no one wants to dig 4 strokes out all day. I had a guy with me a couple years ago on a renegade with 1.75" track. It was crazy deep and he still managed to get down to the lake at Chappel with a little coaching. Had to put a trail in for him to climb off the lake but everyone still had fun.

05765scott

Reaction score
Summit river lodge is a great place to stay, terry and Lisa run a great place and usually terry has someone there who don't mind helping someone explore the mountains.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i do have a beacon and stuff. Did just take the AST 1 avy course. just the class and the indoor workshop. so i at least know the basics if i had to do it.

Im sorry but this scares the heck out of me....yes you know the theory, but you are missing the practical....do you really know the basics? not saying you dont....Who has taught you the skills to a companion rescue or how to manage avalanche terrain? Please finish your course. There are many courses offered that would be able to help you get fully certified

i wouldn't care if i was more on trails then off in the deep. go up to some mountain tops for some cool views and pics. dont really care. just dont want to be digging my sled out every 15 minutes or ill just leave it burried. its like 550lbs with full tank

You will have a blast with that sled. Head to clemina, stick to simple terrain and just enjoy the views while staying safe, until you have at least completed your field session.

Contact the local club if you have any questions, awesome source of info

Last edited:

calltrex

Reaction score
ya i know. just saying if i had to im alot better off then alot of people who just goto the mountains without taking any training. i think i will be at a lower risk anyways because my sled the way it is should not be in difficult areas to begin with.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heading to Mcbride February 8-10 your welcome to come every year i go i take newbies with me this year i have new teenager with me

calltrex

Reaction score
Heading to Mcbride February 8-10 your welcome to come every year i go i take newbies with me this year i have new teenager with me

thanks for the offer :cool: maybe another time

im thinking its too far to go for just 1 night. another time when i can stay for 2 or 3 days

my friends from calgary always goto revy so i may go there with them on the easier stuff. cut a bunch of driving time off.

pcledrew

Reaction score

Are you still heading up? Still willing to show a newbie around? I was supposed to go this weekend but my buddy who was supposed to take me out can't make it. Wondering if I came out there if I could join a group?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCAV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you should definently be able to have some fun if your goin to revy i recomend peaks lodge they have a great staff that make u feel at home an should be able to find your style of riding right from there lodge there is some s\decent beginner territory around there always good to bring someone or ask someone to show u around

Top Bottom