Need advice buying a used dirt bike

Chemical

Reaction score
So here is my story. I used to ride a 80cc Honda about 20 years ago. Im now 34 and want to get back into riding. I bought my son a 50cc KTM so he can learn and we can ride together. Just need some advice on getting a used bike. Im not an extreme rider by any means but I also like to have a bit of power so I can rip up trails and play around in mud. Im 5'5 and 160 lbs. and my issue is the seat height of most bikes. Now I've narrowed down my search to a couple of bikes. A Yamaha tt-230, Honda CRF-230, or a KTM 85. All have about the same seat height (approx. 34"), which I would feel comfortable on. Kinda looking for a bike that I can throw around and have fun with. And also the KTM 85 (due to the weight). So just looking for advice. Budget is between $2000-$3000.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Forsure the CRF 230. Was a nice one yesterday for 2000 on kijiji. The 85 would not be much good for. You

ktm317

Reaction score
Don't waste your time with a 85. You will hate yourself after a couple of rides. At 5.5ft you should be able to ride most anything. Unless you are a aggressive fast rider, stay away from a motocross bike. There is tons of 200-300cc great offroad bikes out there.

Chemical

Reaction score
So I've been looking at the TTR-230 and CRF-230. Seem like very solid bikes. Is one better than the other or is it just preference when deciding between the two?

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 08 ktm sxf 250 I'll let go foe a goid price it needs some motor work.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As mentioned, don't waste your time on the MX race bikes. Also don't discount the older Honda XR's. They are bomb proof. The newer CRF is a good bike and the 230' s are a good solid bike that you will have fun on and not have to do lots of maintenance on.

You could look at a big wheel kawi klx 140 but they are a little underpowered.

I am shorter than you and have ridden lots of bikes. I prefer to ride something I can get a foot down on in the single track riding. You can always adjust the suspension for a short inseem. I typically shave a little off my seat rather than changing springs and what not.

I am sure you could even find an old Suzuki DR for a decent price.

sent from a top secret location

2strokerYZ

Reaction score
Make sure you really look the bike over before you buy it! I live in Alberta and I have bought quite a few bikes off of Kijiji, and sometimes I did not notice problems till I got home. For Instance, I bought a 1983 rm80, everything looked fine, took it for a test drive again still fine. When I got home and went to change the oil, I discovered that the oil fill plug was glued into the hole and there was no threads! I don't know how someone could even manage that! But long story short, look over the bike very thoroughly, and don't be afraid to ask the seller questions!

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
KTM 200XC-W would be a perfect bike for you from what i can see.

Top Bottom