Natural gas grilles.. What to buy, what to look for?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for a new Q

It has been over a decade and I am out of the technological loop

I want a natural gas, medium size, no pig roasters, no traegers...

What makes the webers so appealing? I have lots of friends that swear by them.\

any equivalents?

Thanks in advance.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All I know is full stainless-grilles burners, everything.. and buy a popular name so you can get parts. I just rebuilt my 15 yr old broil king for $86. Cooks like a champ again. While I was in Reliable getting parts for 5 min. 3 other guys were turned away with no parts for chinese bbq's.

I think my next will be a weber though.. seems like there is a lot of believers out there...

Also from what I have seen never get the porcelan grills they are a pain in the ass to clean and rot out fast.

Last edited:

andystepper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Napoleon Prestige. With stainless steel grills. A must with a good quality Q. The only problem with a quality Q is you'll pay for it, or pay for a new one in a few years. The mid-range Napoleon grills are around the $1200 mark. But you'll have the same one in 15 years.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be careful of the good brand name. Ones that places like home depot sell like webber or broil king etc
as they are special models that are only available at home depot and the parts are not readily available
as they use cheaper different size burners and grills ( father inlaw works in a propane shop)

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with Broil king, they are made by Weber but you'll save a few bucks and the only difference between mine and a comparable Weber is the drip tray. Also make sure you get stainless steel grills.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah buy a good one. Most people think that the cheap ones are good but you usually end up buying three or four cheap ones that end up costing more then a good one. And the cheap ones cook like crap they don't have nice even heat. Not sure if they got this for big ones yet but I got a portable BBQ and it has a stone burner, it's a square stone with a thousand little holes in it. It works awesome! I would like to find a big one like that.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you get one, go stainless steel. Our Centros has the cast iron grills, so no porcelain to crack off. However they stopped making them. We really like the rear rotisserie burner for cooking chickens and roasts. You get to keep the drippings for gravy, hmmmm gravy!. Go with a good brand name, the cheaper ones are just that and will last a few years and then just rot out. You will love natural gas as you will never run out, just make sure you leave a reminder to shut the gas off when you are done!

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Happy with our Broil King. Has 3 main burners, rotisserie burner, and side burner. Side burner is nice on those hot days when you don't want to heat up the house with the stove.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had a weber for 12 years and even the igniter still works. The best thing about them is they guarantee you can assemble them in under 10 minutes. Only 4 parts in the box no leftovers.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For me a sear zone is a must. locks in the taste and juices on all meats. Prefer it outside of main grilling surface so temp stays the same under lid.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Webber S330 for me stainless grills and drip trays plus a sear burner that gets the temps up quick.I am coming off a 10 year old Vermont Castings that has been very reliable,was about $700 back then.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought the Napoleon Prestige 500RB from Trail. Stainless steel everything, but a cast iron grill. I am a big steak guy, and nothing is better for grilling a good steak than cooking on cast iron. It does have an infra-red rear burner for rotisserie cooking, but there is another model without it. I was looking between both Napoleon and Weber, and decided to go Napoleon because I got more for the money. For about the same money (+-$50) I got a bigger size grill, with 4 burners instead of 3, roll-top lid with side walls for wind protection, rear burner and rotisserie. No side burner as I never use them.
It did take a while to build, but it is really solid.
Avoid the Weber and Napoleon from Canadian Tire and Home Depot, etc... as those are much cheaper versions.
I paid $1136 OTD with a cover thrown in, and $50 accessory credit, but that was at the Trail customer appreciation sale a few weeks back.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought the Napoleon Prestige 500RB from Trail. Stainless steel everything, but a cast iron grill. I am a big steak guy, and nothing is better for grilling a good steak than cooking on cast iron. It does have an infra-red rear burner for rotisserie cooking, but there is another model without it. I was looking between both Napoleon and Weber, and decided to go Napoleon because I got more for the money. For about the same money (+-$50) I got a bigger size grill, with 4 burners instead of 3, roll-top lid with side walls for wind protection, rear burner and rotisserie. No side burner as I never use them.
It did take a while to build, but it is really solid.
Avoid the Weber and Napoleon from Canadian Tire and Home Depot, etc... as those are much cheaper versions.
I paid $1136 OTD with a cover thrown in, and $50 accessory credit, but that was at the Trail customer appreciation sale a few weeks back.

Cast grill is a must. Stainless doesn't brown things like steak properly.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have no trouble with the SS grills. Easy to get the nice dark brown criss-cross on the steaks and burgers. Just have to make sure they are hot!

I wouldn't go back to anything else....:)

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
truth, but if you get a cast iron searing burner on the side than the stainless steel grills will be your best bet for the long run.

A properly cared for cast iron grill will outlast any stainless steel grill by years. Stainless is less work to maintain but seasoning a cast iron grill 3 times a year is nothing for care and maintenance.

Sent a long time ago from a Galaxy S3 far far away

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So are we talking about ceramic coated or??

For the cast that is.

I found with my replacement grilles on my old unit it seems like it was ceramic coated steel (not cast) and it is a pain to keep clean.

A properly cared for cast iron grill will outlast any stainless steel grill by years. Stainless is less work to maintain but seasoning a cast iron grill 3 times a year is nothing for care and maintenance.

Sent a long time ago from a Galaxy S3 far far away

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the Napoleon, it is not ceramic coated. Ceramic is a pain as it eventually chips away too. Full on cast iron with this grill. I gave them a good wash and dry, then rubbed them with a thin layer of Crisco, and baked in the BBQ for an hour at about 350 degrees. Grills look great, once done cooking, turn it up to high, leave for 10-15 min, and give it a quick brush and the grill is good to go again for next time.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
............ I gave them a good wash and dry, then rubbed them with a thin layer of Crisco, and baked in the BBQ for an hour at about 350 degrees. Grills look great, once done cooking, turn it up to high, leave for 10-15 min, and give it a quick brush and the grill is good to go again for next time.

Same treatment or maintenance that I give the stainless. Mines going on 8 years come Father's Day and not a hick-up.

I clean out the garbage under the grills twice a year (just before winter sets in and midway through the summer) and put blue lock-tite on the right hand bolt holding the lid on. That has been the only problem.

Top Bottom