Nasty reminder of how dangerous bikes can be

Big Jon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jumping on a Harley after only having ridden a dirtbike will put you in the statistics too. There's a time and a place to play for everything, 2, 4 wheeled or tracks, and learning the capabilities of your machine takes time, so don't push it. Hopefully your bucket of experience fills up before your bucket of luck is empty.

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OMG! What an oversensationalized collection of BS.
I'm not disputing some fo the facts they present but I whole heartedly dispute the method by which they deliver their message.
:nono: :BSmeter:

I have been riding for over 30 years and over 20 of those have been on the street. I used to keep a log of all my trips but quit keeping track after I surpassed 1,000,000km. I'm still alive because I ride aggressively-defensive and ALWAYS try to avoid putting myself in a situation where my life depends on someone else making the correct choice with their vehicle.
I've used wide open stretches of open road, with great views, for my personal level of enjoyment but my decision to do so is based on a lifetime of experience and the knowledge of what my machine, and the rider on it, are capable of. My choice to do so is mine to make and I also respect and regard other motorists by slowing down when passing them so I don't cause them to be distracted or caught unaware making for a potentially unsafe scenario.

I wish more people were aware of how this differs from the true "MINORITY" of riders that behave like total idiots (no matter what they ride - sport bikes/cruisers/OHV's) that give everyone else a bad name. In a forum like this I am surpirsed this is not more obvious! I, like many others, have been a victim of land use closures due to a few morons wrecking it for the rest of us that respectfully enjoyed that same area.

Life is constantly presenting you with opportunities for risk assessment. Any fool can make poor decisions (and most of the pictures from that site show just that) but a blanket statement calling motorcycles dangerous is beyond foolish and tells me more about the intellect (or lack thereof) of the sites creator. The problem with everyone having the freedom to express their opinion openly is that the sheeple believe the information that is easiest to access.

BTW, Anyone with some free time and a computer can come up with an equally disturbing site about ANYTHING and spin it to look dangerous or evil. Holy HELL Batman! I could do a similar site showing the perils of scooter use and how seniors everywhere should abandon their Rascals in light of this tragic information. :fear:

I step down from my soapbox to massage my hamstrings and rest my fingers from that overly expressive rant. :rant: :rolleyes:

I 100% agree with you. We are more vulnerable out there but as I told my wife... ride as if everyone on the road is out to get you.

Ride on the proper side of your lane. Yes, there are times to ride on the left and right within the same lane.

The people who get scared of getting a bike after seeing pictures should probably take a motorcycle safety course and completely learn defensive driving. It is not the same as you would in a car. This just tells me you are not confident in your safety when out there. You make your own safety! It the way you ride that dictates everything.

I could post horrific car crashes. Would that stop you from getting in your car and driving to work? I think not.

For those that have been involved in a wreck or had a buddy do the same due to unforseen circumstances, I understand if you hang up the riding gloves.

My wife and I ride all the time together. Do you know what her very first street bike was? Is? A CBR1000RR. Why? Because it is very nimble. It has the best braking. It is very flickable. It has the power. It is the definition of agility. This in my opinion makes her safer on the road. Believe it or not, power is your friend. No matter what you say, a mash on the throttle and a quick maneuver is usually more beneficial than slamming on the brakes and hoping everything works out. Keep in mind my wife does not abuse this power and has very good throttle control. I myself ride a cruiser, but the crotch rocket is definitely the safest bike for her.

There is always things that can be out of your control like people running red lights or turning in front of you. Car or bike. If you cannot deal with this, stay in your car.

One more thing. Loud pipes save lives. I have had numerous people in town driving in front of me looking around to see what the noise is. They know I'm there. If you are speeding, then that all changes. Ride with traffic and out of blind spots and no one will be changing lanes into you. I never ride beside anyone. If traffic is packed, I am beside the driver so he can see me or behind the rear bumper.

AGGRESSIVE DEFENSIVE is the only way to ride. Aggressive does not mean ride like a effin idiot either.

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even the safest rider can get screwed...my lesson learned...DONT ride a bike in the city...Someone made and illegal left turn in front of me on a green light.
My left leg below the knee cap is held together with 2 plates and 9ish screws. Was completely shattered....fun times...:(:(

devildogg

Reaction score
After over 30 year of riding I just don't even watch these videos, I never opened yours, I have heard and seen to much of this from people that don't understand motorcycling, are to scared, unwilling or unable to try it themselves so I will counter with this video, and by the way I have owned more than a few bikes, lots of them "Sport bikes" not crotch rockets that term offends me. Stay in your cage where you are removed from the environment and mostly unaware of whats going on around you your 2 ton SUV with climate control, back up sensors blah blah blah, your forgetting how to live.

Rant off

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vksdBSVAM6g&feature=player_embedded[/media]

Edit to add if anyone thinks sledding is less dangerous than street riding give your head a shake

devildogg

Reaction score
I don't want to try and paint everyone who rides a crotch rocket with the same paint brush but for alot of them it seems like the "stupid switch" is flipped once the sit on the seat. A good example is the 2 idiots just recently in Edmonton on 178st and 96 ave zipping in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed this week. Hope it was the driver that died on scene.

FYI I believe the statistics show more than %50.00 of motorcycle deaths in NA are alcohol related and most of those %50 are middle aged or older folks on cruisers. Its what cruiser are for, bar to bar on a 20 mile loop then home, just take a ride our to black diamond and a sunny spring day and you will know what I am talking about. Not to say that some guys don't rack up the mileage on their cruisers but they are a minority

Loud pipes save live BULLS*&T riding like you are invisible being smart and focused saves lives, not a drop of alcohol passes my lips if I am near my bike, I wont even wrench on it when I have had a beer

Just my $.02

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FYI I believe the statistics show more than %50.00 of motorcycle deaths in NA are alcohol related and most of those %50 are middle aged or older folks on cruisers. Its what cruiser are for, bar to bar on a 20 mile loop then home, just take a ride our to black diamond and a sunny spring day and you will know what I am talking about. Not to say that some guys don't rack up the mileage on their cruisers but they are a minority

Loud pipes save live BULLS*&T riding like you are invisible being smart and focused saves lives, not a drop of alcohol passes my lips if I am near my bike, I wont even wrench on it when I have had a beer

Just my $.02

You had me right up to the Loud Pipes is BS, I ride a harley, have for several yrs, and like you have witnessed more than my share of crazy, uncalled for carnage...and alot of...." wow, seen that comin'".
My bike has aftermarket exhaust and would be considered louder than stock, but certainly not obnoxiously loud like some of the custom hardtail straight pipe stuff.
I have always found it to be an advantage that "if they can't see you, at least they can hear you", and in my opinion has probably saved me more than once.
Sadly, when 90+% of the driving public look in there mirrors, you know, as well as I, they aren't looking for a bike. Common sense tells me not to put myself anywhere near a situation that could be confused in any way. Unfortunately, common sense isn't that common any more.
I do however totaly agree with your no drinking policy, I haven't drank in 15 yrs, and have personally left situations that have started out to be "a ride out to black diamond", and has turned into a ch!t show. I put 10,000 mile on my bike last yr....not km....miles, and applaude your alcohol restraint, but have to dissagree about the loud pipes rhetoric.

devildogg

Reaction score
You had me right up to the Loud Pipes is BS, I ride a harley, have for several yrs, and like you have witnessed more than my share of crazy, uncalled for carnage...and alot of...." wow, seen that comin'".
My bike has aftermarket exhaust and would be considered louder than stock, but certainly not obnoxiously loud like some of the custom hardtail straight pipe stuff.
I have always found it to be an advantage that "if they can't see you, at least they can hear you", and in my opinion has probably saved me more than once.
Sadly, when 90+% of the driving public look in there mirrors, you know, as well as I, they aren't looking for a bike. Common sense tells me not to put myself anywhere near a situation that could be confused in any way. Unfortunately, common sense isn't that common any more.
I do however totaly agree with your no drinking policy, I haven't drank in 15 yrs, and have personally left situations that have started out to be "a ride out to black diamond", and has turned into a ch!t show. I put 10,000 mile on my bike last yr....not km....miles, and applaude your alcohol restraint, but have to dissagree about the loud pipes rhetoric.

The loud pipes debate can go on and on I wont debate it with you you may be right, we definitely come from different genre relating to motorcycle' obviously I am not a cruiser guy but if I was I would have to own a harly :d

Ride well.

Bill Daley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having been on a cruiser most of my life I would agree that loud pipes can to an extent save lives.There are also some cases where they have distracted the public enough that they have caused accidents.

Having gone to trikes I have found them to be a lot safer due to size and getting into the horizontal plane that people tend to look for.The vertical plane where bikes exist, people do not seem to recognize for one reason or another.So often where there has been a bike involved in an accident people have said they didn't see them.In most cases I tend to believe them but in lots of others it is due to just plain carelessness from both sides of the fence.

I also believe in lights to help avoid the problem and run dual running lights,one set on the roll bars the other at the widest point that I can get them on the trike.I have found them to be a great help as I can be seen.

finkous

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i understand the idea of the loud pipes... be heard, i get it. but i dont own a bike and after this many yrs of never riding one i cant see myself getting one anytime soon. but from a non bikers view, i always am courteous and watching for the bikers but honestly, the loudness is behind you, and by the time i hear it, your right beside me or in front where i can see you. so really how does this benefit you? i have also heard from friends that ride, to always ride with the highbeams on, which i also understand.... i just think more people have to be aware of their surroundings and put the cell phone down when you are driving!

Bill Daley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the situation is like on the roads now but I can tell you that in Toronto around the Don Valley Parkway,when the offices close is a place you don't want to be.People don't leave their work there and I have seen many trying to read and drive,on cell phones,trying to put make-up on and all kinds of almost unbelievable crap,while trying to drive at the same time.

I don't think until the public is fully educated in how to drive without doing this crap that it will improve either.If anything it's only going to get worse.

finkous

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ahh bill your opening up a whole other topic of frustration... i work in the automotive industry and see all the new technology to make the cars safer, and in turn the roads a safer place to be... i call b.s on that, these cars are making good drivers lazy and bad drivers worse... park assist, antilock braking, lane sensors, speed sensors, heads up display sensors, cruise control... its no wonder people are doing everything else but driving, theyre bored!

devildogg

Reaction score
ahh bill your opening up a whole other topic of frustration... i work in the automotive industry and see all the new technology to make the cars safer, and in turn the roads a safer place to be... i call b.s on that, these cars are making good drivers lazy and bad drivers worse... park assist, antilock braking, lane sensors, speed sensors, heads up display sensors, cruise control... its no wonder people are doing everything else but driving, theyre bored!

BINGO give the man a cigar :beer:

speeder72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bikes are no more dangerous than anything else out there,it's all to do with the operator.
You can put an idiot on anything and get a bad result.

Ride with some common sense

Have some experience,and ride within it.

Wear the proper clothing.

RIDE DEFENSIVELY...

devildogg

Reaction score
Bikes are no more dangerous than anything else out there,it's all to do with the operator.
You can put an idiot on anything and get a bad result.

Ride with some common sense

Have some experience,and ride within it.

Wear the proper clothing.

RIDE DEFENSIVELY...
False ! Bikes are more dangerous the statistics and common sense can prove that, no 2000lb cage around you to protect you. You a exposed to all sorts of dangers, debris on the roads, idiots running lights, flying objects and on and on the list goes, that is why it is so important to stay focused, ride like your invisible and stay within you abilities. After riding on the street and dirt for 30+ years, myself and my bikes have reached their lowest potential (horizontal on the ground) a few times, most times from my own doing. As they say (whoever they are) stupid hurts. IMO though the benefits of riding far at weigh the risks

Ride Well
DD

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score
That's it. I'm selling my bike and using the proceeds to build a panic room in my basement!

It is all due to a lack of driver training. Any idiot with a $50 bill and an afternoon free can "earn" their licence. I've driven all over North America, from Canada to Mexico and even Cuba. We are by far the worst drivers. And I specifically mean us, here in Edmonton. Follow HWY2 to Vegas (it turns into I15 at the border). For a 100+km through the SLC corridor there are 12 lanes of traffic, always busy, always moving at 70mph. Somehow they make it work (maybe the LDS give driver training???).

I can't drive down the 4 lane Whitemud without being cut off, boxed in by a truck, have some loose gravel bounce off an empty flat deck trailer into my windshield, or be passed by some rig rocket doing 40kph over the limit. Things improve the farther away from Edmonton you travel. HWY 2 south is bad, till you are past Calgary. Then other road users understand what pass lights mean (usually the most used buy least effective control on your bike).

Somehow lane filtering works in European countries (many of which have worse riding weather than us--UK for instance). It permits a high traffic density and an increased flow. Driver training, licensing requirements, and licence cost is all significantly higher. People take it more seriously. I recently took my unrestricted and restricted firearms courses, about 20 hrs between the two, which was significantly more than the 15 minutes I spent writing the drivers test when I was 14 and the 20 minutes I spent in the road test 2 years later. Gun accidents vs car accidents...which one is more prevalent in this country? Might there be a correlation.

Top Bottom