Nascar

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just watched the video a few times too. I'm not making excuses but in Tony's defense, it looked to me like he steered right and hit the gas trying to miss him with the back wheel. Its sprint cars guys, just think, had tony steered left hard and even if he didn't hit the gas the right rear would have wanted to kick out making the situation worse. I don't know, maybe I'm over analyzing the situation. But I think everyone here can admit the guy should not have been roaming around the track that soon after a crash especially in a black fire suit at night on a dirt track. Another thing to remember about this accident is there is no radio communication in sprint car racing. Tony had no idea the guy was standing there until it was too late. No doubt a bad day for the world of racing. I don't think any driver would use their car as a weapon on a walking person.........but using their car as a weapon on another drivers car..........absolutely. Big difference there. Thoughts and prayers go out to Ward Jr's family.
I agree with everything you said in this post. I dont think its as clear as many are trying to make out. Things happen very quick, those cars are a different animal, a guy roaming around in a black suit. They all sound like excuses, but in reality they are also facts. Only one guy really knows what happened.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just watched the video a few times too. I'm not making excuses but in Tony's defense, it looked to me like he steered right and hit the gas trying to miss him with the back wheel. Its sprint cars guys, just think, had tony steered left hard and even if he didn't hit the gas the right rear would have wanted to kick out making the situation worse. I don't know, maybe I'm over analyzing the situation. But I think everyone here can admit the guy should not have been roaming around the track that soon after a crash especially in a black fire suit at night on a dirt track. Another thing to remember about this accident is there is no radio communication in sprint car racing. Tony had no idea the guy was standing there until it was too late. No doubt a bad day for the world of racing. I don't think any driver would use their car as a weapon on a walking person.........but using their car as a weapon on another drivers car..........absolutely. Big difference there. Thoughts and prayers go out to Ward Jr's family.
One other thing that hasnt been mentioned is Tony was coming around a left hand corner, another car was only a couple of seconds in front of him, it could very well have blocked Tonys view of the guy running on the track in a black suit. There is a chance that Tony did not see him till the last second.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In one of the twitter feeds another driver who was watching the race believes Tony accelerated to kick the back end out intentionally. Bottom line is Tony broke a cardinal rule accelerating his car under caution. What was the guy going to do to his car and him with his fists? The car is made of steel and Tony is wearing a full face helmet. I personally cannot accept what Stewart did. My thoughts are also with the Ward family...

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In one of the twitter feeds another driver who was watching the race believes Tony accelerated to kick the back end out intentionally. Bottom line is Tony broke a cardinal rule accelerating his car under caution. What was the guy going to do to his car and him with his fists? The car is made of steel and Tony is wearing a full face helmet. I personally cannot accept what Stewart did. My thoughts are also with the Ward family...
At this point you make the assumption that Tony did this with violent intent. That is jumping to a conclusion far to soon on heresay evidence and a grainy video. Lets wait a bit before we convict him. The driver who made the statement also claimed to be a long time friend of Kevin Ward Jr. Very tramatic for him.

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At this point you make the assumption that Tony did this with violent intent. That is jumping to a conclusion far to soon on here say evidence and a grainy video. Lets wait a bit before we convict him.
Ya the courts will settle it. Tony will spend a fortune to plead his side and the Wards will do the best with the money they can muster up. 'merica.....

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya the courts will settle it. Tony will spend a fortune to plead his side and the Wards will do the best with the money they can muster up. 'merica.....
If charges are pressed, the prosecution will foot the bill for the attempt at conviction.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am thinking, if it like our local dirt track that has sprint car races weekly, the drivers and crew members sign a waiver that releases the track from any liability. Sure the ward family could sue him but wondering if or how that waiver could possibly play a role in the ruling. :shrug:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am thinking, if it like our local dirt track that has sprint car races weekly, the drivers and crew members sign a waiver that releases the track from any liability. Sure the ward family could sue him but wondering if or how that waiver could possibly play a role in the ruling. :shrug:
I think it will come down to if the prosecution feels they can prove intent? I think we all are hoping it was just a tragic accident but if there was intent I don't believe anyone should be cut any slack just because they are famous.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think it will come down to if the prosecution feels they can prove intent? I think we all are hoping it was just a tragic accident but if there was intent I don't believe anyone should be cut any slack just because they are famous.
Like OJ Simpson :D

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I watched the vid a few times too, and it sure did look intentional...... But more like what Ken said, with the intent of trying to scare him, but a bad miscalculation........

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they can prove that Tony intentually turned into him, lock him up and throw away the key.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe that Stewart burped the throttle to kick the ass end away from the other driver, as Zeebs noted, whether or not he saw him until the last second, only he knows. The black fire suit, dark track and the car that was just ahead of him, all that could have contributed for sure.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I watched the video a few times.
Why get out of the car?
Dark track, dark suit.
Another car in front of Tony.
How can a person see?
Very sad someone was killed.
Also Tony will have this on his mind for a long time. That will be tough also. I also feel for the emergency responders working at the track. Not a good situation for them.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a different note, despite the 2 long red flags it was a pretty interesting race today, the last 10 laps between the dinger and the aussie were some great racing.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a different note, despite the 2 long red flags it was a pretty interesting race today, the last 10 laps between the dinger and the aussie were some great racing.
That was pry one of the better races at the glen I've seen. Sure glad AJ could pull it off. Sure was nice to see him win. Its amazing to see him win after a tough couple years having to go to treatment. If nothing else it sure was a feel good story.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good finish to the race but feeling for Marcos as well. Great comeback story for AJ. Here are the top 5 finishers: 47-9-41-42-99

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Todays Nascar news: Mars re-ups with Gibbs and the 18 car. 3M moves to Jeff Gordon leaving Roush and Biffle after 10 years. Roush to announce new sponsors for 16 car in near future. Unconfirmed reports Subway has left Roush and is going to Gibbs. Geeez wonder whats going on there? :rolleyes: Police say investigation of Tony Stewart accident will take another 2 weeks as witnesses interviewed and new track video's being requested from fans. Harvick crewchief fined $25000 after Watkins Glen race for unapproved weight in car not tied down. This is probably regarding the team leaving the weight bags in there after pre race inspection that forced Harvick to pit.

Top Bottom