Narrow Ski stance or Other Mods?

kobylka18

Reaction score
As winter is just around the corner I was thinking about some Mods for my 2010 summit XRS. It is basically stock with a can, and clutch kit. I was thinking of Narrowing the ski-stance and was wondering if it really has made that much of a difference on the 2011. I noticed in Ski-doo brochure on page 136 they sell the S-36 handling package for $630 for the the complete conversion shocks and all. Has the new stance made that much of a difference or would I be better off spending the money on something else?

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Imo, the narrow ski stance is a night and day difference. I would go for it if I were you.

Sent from my Desire HD

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Especially on that model as the ski stance is wider yet than the regular Summits.

kobylka18

Reaction score
The Stance on the 2011 Everest s 35.7-37.4 in. It is the same as the x Model according to Ski-Doos Specs.

Thanks guys for the input. The S-36 package is going to be my next mod to my sled.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would do the narrow stance it is amazing I have never had so much fun on a sled then on this new etec I had an 08 860 w/twins and nos it was awesome fun but I would be tired when I got home this new sled we get back to the trucks and I wanna keep riding haha. definately worth the money imo

TPOWER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i JUST ORDERED A SET FOR MY 10X, I HAVENT GOT TO TRY IT ON THE SNOW YET BUT I HAVE AN 09 SITTING IN GARAGE WITH THE ALTERNATIVE IMPACT NARROW ARMS AND MY 10 SITTING BESIDE IT AND ITS NIGHT AND DAY SITTING ON GARAGE FLOOR HOW EASY IT LEANS OVER, I THINK THEY WILL BE AN AWESOME MOD

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
#1 upgrade for your sled, a non-ported Camo Extreme 2.5" track. Even a non-ported take off track from a 2011. Increased floatation, increased traction.

Also I would deffinetly go with the narrow stance if you have any issues sidehilling or find the sled a little more work to lay over.

When I first rode a 2011 last year, I hated it. It took a few rides to realize how much I was over compensating with the narrow stance. Now I couldn't imagine having a new sled without it.

It really is a night and day difference as tpower said.

I would also look at any mods that eliminate the rear springs if you are interested in shaving a few pounds and cleaning up the rear skid. How many aftermarket skids or other brands do you see rear springs on? Tom's Evolution system has great reviews.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is there much of a diference running the wide setting to the narrow setting on the 2011's? ive only riden mine in the widest setting.

about 2 inches :D

Really though, its quite noticeable going to the narrow stance from a typical wider stance. If you are running in the widest, its very easy to switch to the narrow.

Running in the narrow stance with a heavier sway bar from '09 or older sled works well.

TPOWER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey bounce, im running the narrow stance on my 10 with no sway link, so should i run the narrow a-arms in the wide stance, i ordered them with no sway bar tabs on them, do u think thats a problem, im also going from a 154 to 162x3x3 with the easy ride and actually i also ordered the 1o in big wheel kit to which actually is a 3 wheel kit, i know its wieght but im not that pro of a rider, i built my sled as to what i wanted, not wieght conscious, maybe when bombi releases the 800 etic super charged or turboed lol.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey bounce, im running the narrow stance on my 10 with no sway link, so should i run the narrow a-arms in the wide stance, i ordered them with no sway bar tabs on them, do u think thats a problem, im also going from a 154 to 162x3x3 with the easy ride and actually i also ordered the 1o in big wheel kit to which actually is a 3 wheel kit, i know its wieght but im not that pro of a rider, i built my sled as to what i wanted, not wieght conscious, maybe when bombi releases the 800 etic super charged or turboed lol.

The narrow setting on your '10 should be around 38". Give or take a fraction of an inch.

What we found last year is with the narrow stance a-arms the sled holds a line slightly better with the sway bar. Without it, the sled flet very sloppy. Some heavier riders have even put the heavier sway bar from an 08-09 in to compensate for the narrow stance.

If you want to gain the most from the narrow stance, run it in the narrow setting which is about 35.5" (or 36 as it is called the S-36) the wide setting is about 37.5" which is only half an inch narrower than stock in the narrow setting. Me personally, I wouldn't like it in the narrow stance without a sway bar.

Even on my '09 last year I went back to running a sway back with the stock a-arms. Although it was the lighter sway bar from an '11. The sled counter steared with more control and held sidehills better.

Evenone has a preferance though. Some people will still say to remove the sway bars on sleds with the narrow stance. You will learn to ride your sled as you have built it.

climbin

Reaction score
I have bought the alternate impact 35.7" front end for my 09xp. Haven't bought shocks yet though. Was thinking of the newly valved Fox floats that help initiate the lean? Running a 174 x 3" and Baker skid. Also going to upgrade to Simmons 3.

- Does anyone know the center eye to eye shock distance for the narrow front end?

- Has anyone had any experience with these shocks? I don't want to overcompensate by switching to the narrow front end an Fox shocks

- Can you buy the S-36 shocks seperate from the package?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
16.5" for the s-36. Depending on the model of Float you are looking at, you can dampen to your requirements. I haven't ridden a sled with the new Float 2's, but the Evol's feel great. You can buy the Ski-doo shocks seperate, but I believe it costs more than buying the whole s-36 package from BRP.

I would call Dan at Alternative and ask him what he recommends

Duct tape Doo

Reaction score
I have an 08 X model, does the s-36 package come with non X shocks or are they comparable to the shocks on an X?

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did the AI ti narrow arms last year with toms evolution air and the sled was awesome. No problems laying the thing over, sidehilling, was a breeze. No sway bars narrowest setting simmons gen 3 skis

Last edited:
Top Bottom