My buddy needs a sled...And advice

Stickyfingers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello all my close buddy is getting into the sport and wants to come to the hills with us. He currently doesn't have an account on here but is looking for other opinions on what to get. He plans on coming to the mountains 4-5 times a year and riding on the lake behind his house occasionally. His budget is In the $6k range I want to see him on a 163 800. He thinks it might be to much track but wants nothing smaller then a 151 and only wants an 800 so what do you recommend or what do you have for sale?

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely a Poo guy, but depending on price range, I would suggest an '06 Rev (best year IMHO) or an '09-10 M8. Both are easy to ride and should be a reasonably price used. If he's thinking new, all the new sleds are great. What's his favourite flavour ? Chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry ?

Sent from my iPad when I should be sledding.

Stickyfingers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well newer the better obviously lol but 06 doo he likes at his price range and he really likes the xp chassis I'm kinda steering him away from any Polaris products because I don't wanna tow anything out of the back forty lol I'm not as familiar with cats I just know my friends 07 m8 seems underpowered and my other friends 11 m8 hcr hauls serious @$$ can you get an 09 M8 with the 800 H.O.? And do they have that goofy rear bumper the 08 and 07s have?

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, if he can learn to ride on the worst mountain chassis, then the XP may fit the bill. As a Poo guy, I'd take an'06 Rev or newer M8 over the XP.

Last edited:

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an '07 rev and am quite happy with it now... it has an '09 motor and crank tho... but I bet you could get one of those for about $4500. I agree with staying away from the dragons... nothing but problems.... I had one of those also.... bad news.... I don't know much about the cats.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you want him to stay in the sport,M8 would be the best choice,if he goes doo go rev,I personally do not like the xp.
For 6000 grand he should have no trouble getting a great sled!
catmando!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, if he can learn to ride on the worst mountain chassis, then the XP mat fit the bill. As a Poo guy, I'd take an'06 Rev or newer M8 over the XP.

Haha. I love your candidness HV. Happy New Year and here's to another great year of jousting. Lol.:thumb::beer:

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, if he can learn to ride on the worst mountain chassis, then the XP mat fit the bill. As a Poo guy, I'd take an'06 Rev or newer M8 over the XP

don't foget about how weak the chassis is on those XP's....the 08-09 do seem litte under powdered but reliable that had like 140hp then in 010 they went to 160hp..M chassis is crap on the trail but a blast when u get off it

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well newer the better obviously lol but 06 doo he likes at his price range and he really likes the xp chassis I'm kinda steering him away from any Polaris products because I don't wanna tow anything out of the back forty lol I'm not as familiar with cats I just know my friends 07 m8 seems underpowered and my other friends 11 m8 hcr hauls serious @$$ can you get an 09 M8 with the 800 H.O.? And do they have that goofy rear bumper the 08 and 07s have?
He will have to get a 2010 M to get the HO motor. The 09 has the new rear bumper and electronic reverse but same horse power as the 08.

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be hard to find a 2010 M8 for $6000 the 2006 rev would be in his price range

snobyrd

Reaction score
M8, strong chasis, easy to hold a edge, motor is super dependable, suspension is the weakest link, being it's not smooth, power is good, I had 6 of them, loved them all including 2 turbos, I'm on a pro now, but best bang for your $$$ are the cats.

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2010 m8 .... I just sold one for 6000. They are great sleds to learn on and if you need help setting it up there is lots of info on them.

Look for cracks on the bulkhead though, all mine needed some welding.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Nice thing about the older cats for new guys is reliability and durability I can guarantee you run my M into a tree at 60km and run a doo or a poo into same tree at same speed you have a better chance of riding the M out and maybe for the rest of the day

Top Bottom