My BRP Customer Service Experience **Read for a nice eye opener**

AJW

Reaction score
Hi there I just thought I would express my personal experience in dealing with BRP regarding a cross border warranty repair situation.

Long story short I'm an owner of a US purchased '08 Summit XP and I live in Canada. I bought the sled (technically used but no miles) from the importer of the sled.

Recently on a trip to the mountains my sled cratered. The engine blew and seized. Now that being said, the 800R has a good record of reliability in the '08s with very few engine problems, it could happen with any manufacturer. I just wanted the sled fixed is all and I was planning on snow checking an '09.

I always had the option of bringing it to the US to get warrantied but I decided that I would see if I could get it repaired in Canada first after seeing a few guys on forums getting warranty on US sleds (also using BRP's owners manual and the pages on how the warranty is for North America as my reason for the claim).

One of the first questions this lovely young lady asked me after telling her its a US sled in canada is for the serial number of the sled to do a trace on it (She said she wanted to see if the warranty had been transferred to me).

I didn't give her the number I told her I just wanted to know if they would do this since I wasn't the importer and she said no. No warranty on ANY US sled in Canada. So I brought up the booklet and she says they're fully within their legal right to deny and void warranty on cross border sleds to protect the canadian dealers (the typical story). So after a little while of talking to her and me getting frustrated I asked if they've been taken to court about any of this and she's like "No". No explanation no nothing just a flat "No". kind of weird since I've heard of several lawsuits going on.

Then I said "Look, one way or the other BRP will be paying for the warranty work on this sled whether I bring it to the US or have the work done in Canada and it makes more sense to have it done in Canada".

Her reply was "Well thats the benefit to you, since this is pretty much an anonymous phone call there's not a lot I can do about voiding your warranty"

I asked "so you're telling me that if I had given you the serial number number you would've voided the warranty in Canada AND the US?"

She says "Yes, it would've been flagged as a cross border machine".

I hope someone from BRP reads this cause you guys have just lost a customer for life. I buy new toys every couple years and was quite happy with the XP aside from a few little issues (belts). Like I said before, an engine can go at any time with any manufacturer and that isn't the issue. The ISSUE is the completely underhanded and dirty practice that this CANADIAN FUNDED company practices by pretending to help a customer but all the while planning on screwing him over by flagging the sled.

And I know that one guy is a spit in the bucket as far as sales are concerned but as for me and anyone I can convince, no more BRP products.

I'm not bashing on the machine, XP's are great climbers and I'm not usually a brand loyal or disloyal person but this is too much. I will not support a company that tried to screw me over like that.

The bottom line... Think twice about buying from BRP.

Just so you know I was well aware that the warranty was not available in Canada when I bought the sled but thought I'd check it out since I've heard of people getting warranty work done. I was just surprised at the sneaky way they went around trying to void my warranty in the US where it should still be valid.

My complaint is not about whether the warranty in canada was valid or not, its the sneaky way they went around trying to screw me...

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I wonder if her plan to void your warranty was in the best interest of the Dealer and if her statement really reflects Ski-Doo and thier beliefs. I would go higher up the ladder to find out. One snarky employee shouldn't set the tone for the entire dealership/company.

Don't give up on then manufacutre until you've checked it out further.

Good Luck.

GRD

Reaction score
Crazy!!! I would be a little upset about that.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I WOULD PUT SOME QUESTIONS INTO BOMBARDIER, BEFORE BASHING ANY SINGLE DEALER, JUST BECAUSE SHE MAY BE FORCED TO DOO THAT BY BRP. I KNOW WARRANTIES FOR ALL VEHICLES BEING IMPORTED IS A "HOT" ISSUE RIGHT NOW, AND I KNOW OF 2 GMC'S AT GM DEALERS THAT WARRANTY HAS BEEN VOIDED FOR TRANSMISSION WORK, DUE TO CROSS BOARDER VEHICLES(THEY ARE PRESENTLY IN LITIGATION). JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT....

AJW

Reaction score
The phone call was made to BRP customer service, warranty division in Quebec... No dealerships were named or anything like that...

I'll be calling back to talk to a manager or someone higher up the ladder but before I do anything like that I'll get the sled fixed and then call. I hung up the phone as soon as she said that before I said something I would've regretted... My blood pressure was about 250/150 at that point lol

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got off the phone today with brp asking for another year of warrenty on my 07 summit because the season is almost over and my engine warrenty expires in dec 08, I was told I was on my own, or I could purchace a extended warrenty at a cost of 1000 beans, I asked them you know there is a problem with the 800R engine built in 07 and your not willing to help out a new customer, and I got told to purchace the extended warrenty.
I rode polaris for 10yrs and not counting my race sled never gave me any grief at all, the fact that polaris is offering a 3yr warrenty and are almost 1000 cheaper and are american built!! is making me think polaris will be getting my business again.

CatRider

Reaction score
I got off the phone today with brp asking for another year of warrenty on my 07 summit because the season is almost over and my engine warrenty expires in dec 08, I was told I was on my own, or I could purchace a extended warrenty at a cost of 1000 beans, I asked them you know there is a problem with the 800R engine built in 07 and your not willing to help out a new customer, and I got told to purchace the extended warrenty.
I rode polaris for 10yrs and not counting my race sled never gave me any grief at all, the fact that polaris is offering a 3yr warrenty and are almost 1000 cheaper and are american built!! is making me think polaris will be getting my business again.

It sounds to me like you got 2 years of warranty as promised by BRP. What more would you reasonably expect? Free extended warranty?? Not likely from any manufacturer unless you had work done and that work/parts received extended warranty.

Have fun on your '09 Polaris.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Consider this:

So what happens to the guy that lives in the US and rides his sled up here and needs warranty work. Does he get it? A US sled, getting warranty from a Canadian dealer....

When I was in the US with my Canadian sled, I got warranty work done....it doesn't work the other way around?

The 09 sleds are still a couple of grand more in Canada than the US sleds are priced at. The parts and accessories next year are still priced more in Canada. It's a Canadian company. It's not necessary to stick it too us like this, but they can so they will. Now we are being forced to have to pay more for everything cause we are lucky enough to live here.

If BRP fixed the pricing then no one would be going to the US to buy the sleds there and our Canadian dealers would be just fine. But they can make more money from us Canadians this way. They could also raise the US pricing and us Canadians wouldn't go there either, but we wouldn't want to offend the us customers though would we.

Our government bailed out Bombardier more than a couple of times if I remember. Course, that was the old bombi.

I just can't help but feel bothered by this stuff. I'm pretty sure as well my next sled will not be a BRP just to not support them out of principle if nothing else.

Add to this, the spring snow check line "you can't get this kind of deal at any other time of the year". I remember hearing that last year when a bought my 08 in the spring, then they flogged the exact same deal all November and December. I thought what a moron I was for buying my sled in the spring. They really stuck it to me.

:rant:

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just remember where there built you paid for the sled once allready through your taxes why pay again besides they refuse to be CANADIANS look at there airplane problems landing gear

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so if i were living in the states and moved up here what would happen
would the warranty get transfered up here???? i would think they would have to honor the warranty ..... so what is the big deal the dealer up here has already lost the sale on the machine would you not think he would like to gain a customer by providing him with great service..... or am i just old school thinking that a customer is a customer no matter where they bought the machine

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you got 2 years of warranty as promised by BRP. What more would you reasonably expect? Free extended warranty?? Not likely from any manufacturer unless you had work done and that work/parts received extended warranty.

Have fun on your '09 Polaris.
This sled was purchaced brand new with 2 yrs engine warrenty I didn't get anything free from them! the guys that only had 1 yr engine warrenty got the free year.

funky10

Reaction score
I think BRP is wrong. I remember in 2003 i bought a 100th anniversary V-Rod. I looked across western Canada and could not get one. Finally my wife found one in the autotrader. She phoned and Steve from now what is called House of thunder had 4 he brought back from the states. I was told by him if there was any problems or warrenty issues that take it to the local Harley dealers. They CANNOT REFUSE WARRENTY WORK. The local dealers of course were acting like the local BRP dealers. The dealers got straightened out when they were told if they dont take care of the customers they would have there licence pulled and could no longer get anything from Harley. It was not like BRP did not make anymoney off the machine no matter where it was. The should stand behind there produce!!! I for one was going to buy a 09 snowcheck 800x but after hearing about the problems from my buddies that have them, and the company wont stand behind there product no matter where it is not right in my opinion. I think BRP has to look at the free trade agreement!!! It is not like there is any difference in price in stuff accross the border!!! LOL!! O well i will just wait and see and hope that dealers will sell stuff for less in Canada instead of hoseing the consumer.

jimmyjames14

Reaction score
I have had nothing but issues with the dealer I bought from, a bunch of classless individuals. Brought it in for belt problems didn't do a thing. Brought it in again Shifted engine mounts, By this time I read up and seen that they had to put in a 19 point sprocket and gear it down but wouldn't untill they seen if this fixed the problem. They wouldn't step to bat for me as a dealer and BRP said no. Tried it before I went to the mountains and put 15 km and the belt blew. Then went in and they put the sprocket on and I asked about the driveshaft having problems if they could do this at the same time and they said there is no problems with the drive shaft. I had heard and read on DOO Talk about it and asked about a upgrade. Nope no problems, The next time to the hill what happens, blown drive shaft.
Anyway I won't buy BRP again service is crap right from the top down to the dealers( well this dealer anyway). And pricing is soo high

Last edited by a moderator:

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
even if brp would let it go, you now need to find a dealer that would fix it.Good luck.

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, BRP is doing this under pressure from the Canadian Dealers who are losing sales to the USA Dealers. They did it 10 years ago..only the other way around to protect the USA Dealers who were losing sales to Canada.
Whatever....they still make (IMO) some of the best product, which I choose to ride...I decided to purchase locally to avoid ANY hassles. Could have saved about $2000 by driving all the way to the US...decided it was not worth it. I understand everyone's frustration...but the way I see it, BRP is a "business"..they do what they have to for reasons. I am pretty sure they don't set out with a goal to piss off as many Customers as possible.

I would be more upset at our gas prices than BRP. Other oil producing countries pay next to nothing at the pumps!! This is where we are really getting hooped!

Just my 2 cents!!:)

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I happened to mention to a "friend" at Riverside that I was looking at a US machine used. A guy with dual-citizen ship was selling it and Riverside couldn't touch the deal. Before I bought it, I had the owner take it, (with his and two others), to a dealer to have the updates done. Riverside actually went out of their way to try and ensure that the warranty work would not be completed, knowing I would eventually have the sled. I made the mistake of giving them and BRP the VIN to check for updates. Riverside made sure a big red flag was put on it and accused me of being an importer. (I haven't been out of the country for years) This other dealership took hell from BRP, even though the warranty was still in the original owner's name.

I have bought five new machines from Riverside in the last four years. That doesn't count years past with bikes and other goodies. The spoiled brats couldn't take losing one sale, so they tried to hurt me as best they could. Good thing this other dealership still cared about a new customer, as they went to bat for me.

I'm thinking of dumping my new XP just out of principle (even though I love the sled and all issues are fixed). My last 5 sleds have been doos, but they have pissed me off enough to try CAT! Now that's pissed.

I would love to support the other dealer, but I can't bring myself to buy another doo.

I'vegotthenutz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, BRP is doing this under pressure from the Canadian Dealers who are losing sales to the USA Dealers. They did it 10 years ago..only the other way around to protect the USA Dealers who were losing sales to Canada.
Whatever....they still make (IMO) some of the best product, which I choose to ride...I decided to purchase locally to avoid ANY hassles. Could have saved about $2000 by driving all the way to the US...decided it was not worth it. I understand everyone's frustration...but the way I see it, BRP is a "business"..they do what they have to for reasons. I am pretty sure they don't set out with a goal to piss off as many Customers as possible.

I would be more upset at our gas prices than BRP. Other oil producing countries pay next to nothing at the pumps!! This is where we are really getting hooped!

Just my 2 cents!!:)
I just seen a comparison on cnn last night that showed european nations, asia etc paying over $8 a gallon for gas. It is high here but not as high as other parts of the world and were only worried about how this is going to affect our sledding plans next year...:eek:

Top Bottom