My Arctic Cat wants to be a Polaris

FoxTrot

Reaction score
Took the pipe off my girlfriends M8 to give it a good blasting and coat it today and found a nice surprise. Anyone else have issues resulting like this with their 800 Cat's?? The engine has just over 400km on it as well and most of the damage is on the left (clutch) side jug. The pin moved fine and the bearings look good but the piston is trashed and there are signs of heavy contact at the exhaust port then lightening up through the travel. The right side is only minor scuffing and the cross hatch is still visible but the piston will need to be replaced as well. I've got a few idea's but just wondering if this limited to my sled or not.

Attachments

• IMG_1676.jpg
    IMG_1676.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1677.jpg
    IMG_1677.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1680.jpg
    IMG_1680.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 29

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that sucks,, what yr n when did u buy it? only prob with taking stuff down urself (if ur still on warranty) is its tough to ensure the reason for failure and get u warranty, if applicaple, check with ur dealer , any issues let us know, we could at the least give u a the S&M discount on the parts,.,,,

T

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took the pipe off my girlfriends M8 to give it a good blasting and coat it today and found a nice surprise. Anyone else have issues resulting like this with their 800 Cat's?? The engine has just over 400km on it as well and most of the damage is on the left (clutch) side jug. The pin moved fine and the bearings look good but the piston is trashed and there are signs of heavy contact at the exhaust port then lightening up through the travel. The right side is only minor scuffing and the cross hatch is still visible but the piston will need to be replaced as well. I've got a few idea's but just wondering if this limited to my sled or not.

hard to say but too me it looks like signs of cold seizing.

FoxTrot

Reaction score
It's an 09 and since I bought it the dealership has been sold in the town I bought it from and the new owners aren't easy to deal with. I'm not sure what cold seizing is to be honest... I think it's the same thing as a cold start (loading unit while not up to temp). The engine is still under warranty but I won't take the sled to the local dealer so I'll have to eat this one.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's an 09 and since I bought it the dealership has been sold in the town I bought it from and the new owners aren't easy to deal with. I'm not sure what cold seizing is to be honest... I think it's the same thing as a cold start (loading unit while not up to temp). The engine is still under warranty but I won't take the sled to the local dealer so I'll have to eat this one.

same thing as a cold start (loading unit while not up to temp).

bummers

FoxTrot

Reaction score
If that's the case then what temperature and for how long should the engine run before going?? The only issue I have with the cold start is that I know every mile that was put on the sled. By any chance has anyone seen an engine damaged by overheating?? This was one issue we had when we first get the sled.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If that's the case then what temperature and for how long should the engine run before going?? The only issue I have with the cold start is that I know every mile that was put on the sled. By any chance has anyone seen an engine damaged by overheating?? This was one issue we had when we first get the sled.

my experience with overheating is usually both cylinders and all four corners. but that's not to say, every situation is unique in it's own way.

Last edited:

FoxTrot

Reaction score
Yeah you're right... the scuffing does wrap around the piston more than the pictures show but the wear is more on the thrust faces of the cylinders and not all the way around. Sigh, if the damage is from riding it cold then I think I'm going to have to start it and leave it running the whole winter just to keep it warm enough or something. Oh well, guess it's time to break out the hone and order new pistons and rings.

Hudson_M1000

Reaction score

Dude, you can take it to any dealer, anywhere. They have to fix it.

RMKer

Reaction score
ya it doesnt matter what dealer you bring it to, they'll fix it under warranty. as for warming let it warm to 125, 140 fahrenheit before you go anywhere..... well that's a Polaris

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah you're right... the scuffing does wrap around the piston more than the pictures show but the wear is more on the thrust faces of the cylinders and not all the way around. Sigh, if the damage is from riding it cold then I think I'm going to have to start it and leave it running the whole winter just to keep it warm enough or something. Oh well, guess it's time to break out the hone and order new pistons and rings.

that may be a bit of a stretch. hope u got a company fuel card...lol

just kidding....since no sled has a temp guage telling u when its good to go,(except yamaha fourstroke) heres what i do... put suit on flash up sled by the time u get ur helmet n gloves on, put ur truck keys in ur pocket and make sure ur good to roll, the sleds warm ,, or 5 minutes... if your loading it on a trailer or deck, start the sled before the truck, and get the ramps out and tie downs ready, then the sled is warm enough.

hope it helps, we too have never had an 800 apart...and only one m7 , warm up is crutial. your new dealer should help u out...

Terry

deathtoll

Reaction score
what we do when i go rideing. Is the day or night before we go sleding. we warm up the sleds go for a quick ride in the feild come back and load them up into the truck and trailer the next morning we just head out get to where we are going get out start all the sleds then pull them off let them warm up for 5 minutes after there all unloaded and go ride my uncule has done this since her bought his 98 powder spacieals and his 98 couger new they have 10,000miles on them and have never had the motor opened up:d

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
I have always just touched the rear tunnel cooler, once it is warm it should be fairly safe to ride.

x2. its when the thermostat opens and all the cold antifreeze hits your engine, that where the damage comes from. that looks like overheating to me though, same thing on my rev a few years back, took a cooler out in the creek and didnt realize it. never seized but it was close. there is some kind of acid you can put in the cylinder wich will take the piston scuffing out before you hone it.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
....since no sled has a temp guage telling u when its good to go,(except yamaha fourstroke)
Terry

Actually.... LOL the new 2010 4 stroke cats will not rev above a certain rpm until the motor is hot enough (I want to say 5000 rpm?).

I'm like Trax 2 Treads and team dirt. Once rear cooler is warm to the touch, then I head out. This means that the motor is warm enough that the t-stat has opened and coolant is circulating. As stated, most cold seizures are from the t-stat slamming open and a rush of cold coolant hitting the motor. Good warm up is important. I also go fairly easy on the throttle for the first 1-2 kms, just to make sure that motor, gears, track, etc, all reach and stabilize at operating temp or at least get some oil on them before you start really cranking the throttle to it. Besides this, its easier to lean seize a motor in the morning than the afternoon typically.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is some kind of acid you can put in the cylinder wich will take the piston scuffing out before you hone it.

Muriatic acid - but be careful not to get it on any bare aluminum in the ports or you'll get a free port job.:nono:

Top Bottom