my 900 wil not stay running?

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when i start it the sled will fire then die. looks like the lights power down then it dies. just put a newer engine in it and had it running.
not sure where to start is it a fuel issue or a power thing

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So... since the engine install, has it run good? this is a new thing? or is it like this since the engine install? Will the sled stay running if you apply a little throttle?

My first suspects would be:
-TPS adjustment, or fault
-throttle safety switches / throttle cable adjustment

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So... since the engine install, has it run good? this is a new thing? or is it like this since the engine install? Will the sled stay running if you apply a little throttle? My first suspects would be:-TPS adjustment, or fault-throttle safety switches / throttle cable adjustment

after the engine install it would stay running and rev up after 5-6 pulls but did not run great so i was plannind to adjust the tps. put it all together to get ready for a test ride and go to start it and it just fires and dies over and over the only i can get it to rev up is to start it wot. but it still will not run long and dies.every time the motor dies it looks like the lights go out first.i do rember having it running and looking at the display and adjusting it now when i get it rev up the display is always flashing and the tach is bounceing . i just got this sled with the motor out so never had it running.

Last edited:

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jeez, sounds like a couple things going on at once. I would probably start by electrically inspecting the sled.
-Check over as much wiring as you can get at for pinch's, bare spots, burns, etc.

-Unplug, inspect, clean, and reconnect all wiring connectors. (I use a small amount of di-electric grease on all connectors, but this is my preference, some may not agree)

-The fuel tank on these sleds sits right up against the voltage regulator and it's wiring which can cause problems... I would look at this carefully since your gauges are flashing and bouncing.

-The inner ring on our flywheels are known to come off and cut/short wires in the stator assembly... usually checking the stator's resistance as per the shop manual will find this, as well as pulling the flywheel for a visual inspection.

-The voltage regulator, and capacitor are also simple to test as per the shop manual, although I doubt it's the cap.

With the gauges flashing, and tach jumping I suspect a stator, VR, or wiring to one of these units to be at blame for some of your problems. I would recommend that you do not attempt to start it anymore until you verify these parts to be good. since the sled is new to you I would also set the TPS correctly before trying to start it again even though it seems unlikely that it is causing these problems.
You don't say whether your machine is an 05 or 06 so here's the download links to the shop manuals for both years:
2005 900 Shop Manual
2006 900 Shop Manual

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes what Danbot said sounds electrical to me, also check fuel filter drain and add fresh gas if you have not especially after sitting all summer. I had a problem on another sled I checked over everything and it ended up being bad fuel / water in the tank. Would not stay running and at WOT it died. Good luck man

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i got it running danbot was right it was a broke wire in the mag first thing i checked thanks
now i have to set the TPS cause it's not running right atleast it's running:):beer:

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Excellent! good to hear you got it

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
now i have to set the tps haveing trouble finding the parts to build the tester tryed to use a 5 volt charger but it put out 5.25 volts i think it needs to be right on 5 volts so i will keep looking

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had it running for five mins went to start it again and the dam tach is bouncing and the dash flashes then stuts down and will only idle i hate power problems:mad: the two wires that i fixed from the mag are still good
2005 polaris rmk 900

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good thing I checked out the stator the inner ring was looseSlid it out and glued it back in. Stator checked out everything is good. Have fresh fuel. Wires look good. I will keep scratching my head lol. What does a power wrench do

Last edited:

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good thing I checked out the stator the inner ring was looseSlid it out and glued it back in. Stator checked out everything is good. Have fresh fuel. Wires look good. I will keep scratching my head lol. What does a power wrench do
Do you mean "digital wrench"? That is Polaris's computer interface with your ECM.
Make sure that loose flywheel ring didn't cut anything in your stator assembly, sure sounds like it did.

Luvinit

Reaction score
What danbot said, I,ve had that ring come out and total a stator. The replacement flywheel has the ring glued in better, so unless you trust yours i,d get a new one. Also the dash and tach will drop out if the rpm drops below a certain rpm, like 6000, i,m using memory here.

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes i'm glad i took an outher look at my flywheel the ring was starting to come loose so took it out and glued it back in.
tested everything and i think everything looks good got an outher vr and ecu to put in hope that will fix it
heard from a guy that the ecu can forget about reverse and u have to reflash is this true

Last edited:

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes i'm glad i took an outher look at my flywheel the ring was starting to come loose so took it out and glued it back in.
tested everything and i think everything looks good got an outher vr and ecu to put in hope that will fix it
heard from a guy that the ecu can forget about reverse and u have to reflash is this true
I have never heard that, but I can tell you that if your TPS setting, and idle speed are not dead on, reverse may not work.

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
changed the vr and the ecu and now it's running :):) now i have good piston wash on pto side and very little on the mag
side is it running lean? how do i fix? change the injector or am i sucking air. how do i test.
i am glad to hear that i don't have to reflash for reverse my list of to do's was getting kind of long. i got my tps set good now so reverse should work don't want to take it out for a test ride with one lean cylinder

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The injectors... you would have have to send out for cleaning and flow testing.

A suspected air leak can be found with a leak down test.

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm thinking injectors as well will do a leak down test. a buddy had a look and thinks that one cylinder is not getting much oil can this happen i know all lines are getting oil cause had clear oil and added blue oil now all lines are blue? i have an extra set of injectors will just change one are both injectors the same? thanks for all the advice
ok bloody back yard mechanics that's me i have a better idea
have spark on both and only fireing on mag side the side i thought was lean the pto side must not getting any fuel becuse the exhust is cold i don't know how i over looked that.
so how do i check my injector for power or maybe it has power and it's plugged???

Last edited:

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmmmm, problem after problem with this one lol.
I want to go back the beginning with this for more info...

The engine: You said you installed an engine.... was it new / rebuilt / used? what happened to the old one?
The stator: have you completely tested the stator since the ring made contact? Usually this cuts something
ECU and VR: you replaced them? with new units?

I don't know how to test the injectors for power, but it is somewhat common for the pins in the connectors to get pushed out of place when you connect them. Access aside, it's easy to check just unplug them and look in at the pins to make sure everything looks legit.

Ive never had a fuel injector problem so my help is limited there, but as far as plugged injectors, most of the guys "in the know" seem to send them to WitchHunter for cleaning and flow testing.

This just sounds like a wiring or electrical problem. It's not flashing any codes when its running?
The electronics on these 900's are fussy and prone to alot of little problems. Whenever I am troubleshooting strange problems I can't figure out, I always go back to the basics: Check your fuel pressure, test, and set TPS meticulously, test / inspect or just replace tps wiring, verify clean bright spark, unplug throttle safety switches, kill switch, and hand/thumb warmers. If after this your sled wont start and run well and it is not flashing codes... your looking for a electronic gremlin, or something mechanical. If it comes it, you can confirm a malfunctioning injector by swaping them left for right and see if the non-firing cylinder follows the injector (or injector wiring lead which can also be swapped around)

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got ti running on both changed the injector runs great :):) is idleing at 2600 way to high i think becuse i set the tps wrong i think just adjusted the tps and did not get a base with the plates closed
ya i had a few problems to solve all at once:mad: but i'm getting it thanks to you :d

Last edited:

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
set my tps and runs good problem is can i run a blue ecu and red enjectors whats whats the dif between blue red and yellow injectors?

Top Bottom