mxz vs summit... whats the differance?

Polaris2012

Reaction score
Im looking at a couple 2004 revs. they are both 800's, and both will need to be lengthened to 162" for where we ride. the huge difference is price. the 2004 rev mxz is about 800 dollars less than the summit. so my question is what is the big difference between the two models? i assume the mxz has a different suspension but will it kill me in mountian riding conditions?

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Ski stance is narrower on the summit and no altitude compensation so you have to rejet on the mxz

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MXZ has a wider ski stance. Clutching and gearing is different, Same chassis though.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My suggestion is to get a mountain sled that is ready to go instead of buying one and dumping a bunch of cash into it to make it work.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ski stance is narrower on the summit and no altitude compensation so you have to rejet on the mxz
I'm pretty sure everything after '99 had DPM on it murm, other than the race sleds. just that the MXZ not calibrated to compensate for elevation over 3000 feet.

Last edited:

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had one the first year the rev came out in '03 and stretched it to a 144x2". Thing was a total POS in deep snow.
2" track rubbed on the bulkhead and tunnel, and then when you were on the trail it would overheat with no rear cooler.
I would go for the summit and forgot trying to mod the mxz to make it work.

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go with the mountian sled if you say you need a 162" where your going! then why are you asking if you should go with MXZ? Personally I would with the 159" people say whats the difference between 3" well the 162 weighs more and believe it or not it's a lot easier to slide hill and maneuver 159" boondocking then the 162" and the 159 will get you anywhere 162" will take ya! You would sink way more then $800 into the MXZ to make it a mountian rider!!!!! .?????

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had one the first year the rev came out in '03 and stretched it to a 144x2". Thing was a total POS in deep snow.
2" track rubbed on the bulkhead and tunnel, and then when you were on the trail it would overheat with no rear cooler.
I would go for the summit and forgot trying to mod the mxz to make it work.

best way to solve that is stick a ZX summit chaincase on them back then. But yes, that can be an issue as well.

Polaris2012

Reaction score
Go with the mountian sled if you say you need a 162" where your going! then why are you asking if you should go with MXZ? Personally I would with the 159" people say whats the difference between 3" well the 162 weighs more and believe it or not it's a lot easier to slide hill and maneuver 159" boondocking then the 162" and the 159 will get you anywhere 162" will take ya! You would sink way more then $800 into the MXZ to make it a mountian rider!!!!! .?????

the only reason i was looking at mxz was because of the price difference and i figured if all that was going to be needed was suspension than non biggie i have a friend who has a bunch of rev parts sleds. but apparently it is a bigger project than i want to take on, plus sounds like a pretty dumb project when the mountian sled is ready to go minus the length. Thanks for all the input.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To stretch the mxz properly you need to swap in a summit cooler as the mxz one is way too short, as stated above it just creates way too much hassle.

Top Bottom