MXZ oil tank float failure!

grwadventures

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Just dropped my 2009 600 etec off at the shop for a service and to see if they could fix the low oil level float that came loose inside the tank. Apparantly there is no way to bypass this ? I need to but a new tank. which would not be to bad. but now i am told that the oil pump is molded to the bottom of the tank and the only way to fix the problem (machine going imto limp mode because it thinks its low on oil) Is to buy a new tank with pump. over $400.00 dollars. anyone else have this problem? or know some way of by-passing the switch? I am quite capable of checking the oil level in the tank on fuel ups and don't need this shut down spoiling my day.....or worse

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It must just be a reed type switch try to put a jumper on the plug going to the float. The dealers point is there not there to jumper stuff out and send it out the door. You may have to add a resistor not sure on if it is just a input to the ECU.

grwadventures

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks rsaint
I know the mech personnally (or sort of) at the dealership. He is telling me that if he could by-pass it he would for me. But maybe there is something he is missing? It seems like it should be pretty simple to me. In fact, if there is no float there how could it be putting me into limp mode? You would think that the machine would still run without any oil in the tank? No? (until of course the engine siezed)

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An Etec is a smart motor it will know when they got no oil and try to protect its self. I would deffinetly get that oil tnk and see if you could rig something up to make it work!

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have to find out what signal the ECU is looking for and go from there a lot of smart guys on DT.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Since the oil level is generally not a "progressive" switch like the fuel gauge, it should just be either on or off shouldnt it (when the oil level drops below a certain point it trips the switch and the light comes on and the motor goes limp)? In theory it should just be wired fully open or closed (jump the connections to maintain a circuit or leave them disconnected to break the circuit). I know on the old idiot lights you just pulled the connections apart outside the tank for the in-tank switch.

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my oil float came off and nothing happened, I just pulled it out and no problems since. Maybe I got lucky?

grwadventures

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Yeah Modman
Thats kinda what I thought. It should be quite simple. If the float/sensor never gets to the bottom. (floating on top or missing completly) The machine should care less and still run without going into limp mode. Might have to go back into the shop and have them explain this to me in greater detail. To me it seems as if they are just trying to install costly parts that are not required.

grwadventures

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
No i am beginning to think that there may have been another issue as i was having some grief with my key. I am going to tell them not to bother putting in the new tank until they have checked all other possibilitys.

Top Bottom