MX bike for trails

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be buying a dirt bike this summer. My first choice would be a KTM 250/450 xcf. But they are still expensive pre owned but for now just to get out this summer for my first bike. I was looking at a crf 250 can get them for a good price used. Apart from fitting lights and spark arrester are they an ok bike for the trails? I'm under the understanding that xc bikes have different gear ratios compared to MX bikes thanks for any info.

jdaniel

Reaction score
Did you check out the ad crfx has in the classified section? Honda 250, nice, well maintained bike.

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will have a look thanks that's a nice bike.

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want a crf250 get the x. It already has the lights and electric start. Already went through this. I found a good deal on an older bike for this year to see how it gets used. If I use it a lot and am ready I will go get a new bike in a year or two....or I might just keep this one.

tompullings

Reaction score
I find them a little too stiff and jarring for trail rides. An enduro specific bike like a wr250 or crf250x is already set up for trails. A 2 smoke would be even lighter and better!

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I don't know anyone that rides a dirt bike at night unless its an emergency. We just buy the $10 light kit from Canadian tire. Clip the blinking red LED tail lite to the back of your chest protector and clip the gay little flashlight on the handle bars and ride. It's perfectly legal.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know anyone that rides a dirt bike at night unless its an emergency. We just buy the $10 light kit from Canadian tire. Clip the blinking red LED tail lite to the back of your chest protector and clip the gay little flashlight on the handle bars and ride. It's perfectly legal.

Anyone who rides twlight hours during the week can certainly make use of a light. I rode some weeknights over the last few years especially last summer and a light was mandatory for coming out. I have also rode in BC through some of the tunnels and it is pitch black during the middle of day.

Anyhow,

I have an 09 KX250 that I completely set up for trail use. I thought I might ride the track enough, and maybe even get into a few races when I bought the bike but quickly turned to wanting to ride tighter single track. I put a lighting stator on it, full light kit, had the suspension revlaved, added case gaurds, rad guards, bark busters, full exhaust with spark arestor, changed the gearing for more or a trial gearing and at the end of all that, I bought a KTM that was out of the crate a better trail bike.

MX bikes, especially Japanese ones, are better for track use. They were designed for it after all. In tight trails MX bikes heat up quicker, they can be harder to start once warm as well. If you wind out a MX bike you should learn to check the valves and be able to adjust the clearance on them. It is very simple to do. The hot start on the carbs works, the newer fuel injected ones work well too. The valving can be changed to suit the rider and the terrain they ride. The 19" rear wheels on MX bikes are meant to keep the weight down. I prefer having the 18" with more rear sidewall.

If you are going to ride more wide open areas, logging roads and more of a quad trail than tight single track, a MX bike will be perfecting fine. I love just cracking the throttle on my Kawi and hopping a log here and there, the closer ratio transmission makes the bike fun on whoops and big sweeping corners through the trees. If you are going to ride more tight single track, you might look more towards a KTM, be it four or two stroke.

My kawi will be going up for sale here pretty quick. I bought it new and there is less than 80 hours on it I think. I think I put 55 hours on my KTM last summer to give you an idea of how little I used the Kawi over the first two years. It is completely set up to ride trails, but I wanted to go back to two stroke.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt run a crf250 as a trail bike. Especially a used one. 4stoke 250's are ticking time bombs. Good for racing MX in 250 class and thats it.IMO

Get a 2stroke 250 for the bush.. You will be a way happier guy trust me. If you want to run a 4stroke get a 450.

Last edited:

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
definatly dont get a 450 for trails way to heavy,,do ur self a favor and go get a jap 250 fourstroke and ride it ,,it'll b the best purchase u ever made.

Mr Husaberg

Reaction score
Some good advice here. Remember overall condition means more than what brand it is when it comes to long term ownership costs. Look for a bike with minimum wear. Put the bike on a stand and ensure that there is no play on the swing arm or wheel bearings. Look for a bike with a clean air filter and clean oil. One or two rides worth of grit on the air filter are ok but a filter caked with dirt indicates a bike that has been neglected and may be a time bomb.
You pay more for a Ktm but the nice thing about them and the wr is that you get an hour meter so you know what you are getting into some times. It is possible that the previous owner removed the hour meter and ice raced it for a couple of seasons but typically you need to find that out by asking questions.

in my experience you get what you pay for. Get the newest bike you can afford in the best shape. Off road bikes will have lower first and a taller 5 th or 6 th gear if you get an xc-w. dropping the front sprocket on an mx bike will get you in the same place for the lower gear but will limit your top speed. Not a big deal in the trails but can be painfull for long connecting roads specialy if you have a 2 stk.

Good luck

will the snow please melt! I want to go riding so bad. Maybe I will go for ride around the subdivision again.

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well bit the bullet and picked up a new 2012 KTM xcf 250 today cant wait to get out and ride.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You won't be disappointed. Nice bike. I have a few friends who have them.

If you do not already know how get out the manual then read online or a YouTube video on how to set up the ride sag. Even with stock springs and valving it will be a good first step to the new bike.

I always pull the bike completely apart as soon as I get it home. Wheels, rear sway bar, steering head and linkage and grease every bearing. The factory does not put in enough. KTM is better than the jap bikes but it still isn't enough. Pick up a tub of belray water proof grease at your dealer and go to town.

sent from a top secret location

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys. After 25 years getting the itch again. I raced until my 20s and want to have a little fun again. Just bought my son a little trail bike and I will put along on the XR100 with him.

Thinking for dad a YZ250. Seeing has how they are pretty reasonable to buy right now. Never did like 4 strokes (and I may want to play a bit on the track at Drayton).

Want to buy a Rekluse clutch, flywheel, spark arrestor, rad guards and a bark busters. Where is the best place to pick these up? Any Canadain distributors or is going down to the U.S. the best. Or does someone have an older 2 stroke ready to go that I can buy?

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
definatly dont get a 450 for trails way to heavy,,do ur self a favor and go get a jap 250 fourstroke and ride it ,,it'll b the best purchase u ever made.

Nothing wrong with a 450 on trails have no problem riding mountain single track, quad trails sand dunes
personally I would only get a 250 if it was a 2 stroke rode a 250 ktm once and it as fun but not enough power in order to keep up to my friends on 450's I was constantly on the rev limiter . A 450 4 stroke motor will need to be rebuilt way less than a 250 4 stroke

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I mentioned before about buying a klx300r. I love the bike. Has a few mods that opened it up. It starts easy enough. Way easier then a 450 and easier to ride. I think if I was riding with a kid on a bike for the most part I would look for something I can put along.

Top Bottom