Muffler Warning and CEL?

sledneck_joe

Reaction score
Hey all, finally got some snow in the area.. Took my 14 XM for a rip today and it threw a Muffler code as well as the CEL after 5 minutes of light riding. Checked both exhaust probes, cleaned them up.. threw another code. I have a MBRP Race can on the sled, just wondering what else I can check. Once it throws the code the sled seems to load up and hesitate a bit. Thanks for any input!

-Joe

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did it run good last season with the can or did you just put it on? Try the stock one and see if it fixes it. MBRP seem to be the worst for causing issues with the XM.

sledneck_joe

Reaction score
I bought the sled used this fall, it had the MBRP on it. Switched to the stock suitcase and it's running flawlessly. Is there a fix for this issue? Or should I look for a different can?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The dealer has a reflash to make the sled play nicer with cans. Could try that and then see if you still notice any running issues even without the warning lights. Personally I'm just not an MBRP fan on the XM but lots of guys are.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the sled used this fall, it had the MBRP on it. Switched to the stock suitcase and it's running flawlessly. Is there a fix for this issue? Or should I look for a different can?

Id just keep running the suitcase..... I did have a specialty can on my 14 freeride last year and it never caused me any problems though.

sledneck_joe

Reaction score
Yep drained the tank empty and filled with 94 Octane. No plugs in exhaust at all. I love the way the MBRP sounds, but the sled isn't rideable with it.

Sent while doing my snow dance.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
HMMM, I NEVER READ THE WHOLE THREAD OR RESPONSES.... CHECK TO SEE THAT THE CAN ISN'T PLUGGED... SEEN THAT HAPPEN, OTHERWISE SOME CANS MIGHT REQUIRE AN ADAPTOR SPACER, BECAUSE THE SENSOR IS TOO FAR INTO THE MAIN HEAT. THERE ARE SEVERAL DIFFERENT STYLES OF SENSOR ADAPTORS AND ARE USUALLY A COUPLE INCHES LONG AND JUST MOVES THE SENSORS A LITTLE OUT OF THE MAINSTREET HEAT. BIKEMAN SELLS ONE SUCH KIT:

BMP E-Tec Muffler Sensor Adapter

Double click on above image to view full picture

Zoom Out

Zoom In

More Views:

Email to a Friend
Be the first to review this product

CA$43.95

Qty:

Add to Cart
.OR Add to Wishlist
Add to Compare

Quick Overview

Sensor adapter solves peak RPM loss problems.

*Not recommended on 2014 models.*

PN: BMP-ETSA

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HMMM, I NEVER READ THE WHOLE THREAD OR RESPONSES.... CHECK TO SEE THAT THE CAN ISN'T PLUGGED... SEEN THAT HAPPEN, OTHERWISE SOME CANS MIGHT REQUIRE AN ADAPTOR SPACER, BECAUSE THE SENSOR IS TOO FAR INTO THE MAIN HEAT. THERE ARE SEVERAL DIFFERENT STYLES OF SENSOR ADAPTORS AND ARE USUALLY A COUPLE INCHES LONG AND JUST MOVES THE SENSORS A LITTLE OUT OF THE MAINSTREET HEAT. BIKEMAN SELLS ONE SUCH KIT:

Double click on above image to view full picture

Zoom Out

Zoom In

More Views:

Email to a Friend
Be the first to review this product

CA$43.95

Qty:

Add to Cart
.OR Add to Wishlist
Add to Compare

Quick Overview

Sensor adapter solves peak RPM loss problems.

*Not recommended on 2014 models.*

PN: BMP-ETSA

The dealer has a flash for cans why would be order a part instead, especially when it clearly says it's not recommended for 2014s?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Eaglespassdoo from here every ride gets a pipe code, shuts it off for a few minutes and way we go again... Mbrp race can he has

14 didn't have updated programs for cans, it was 13 that had updates

Just get a new, different brand of can and pin it

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thought the 14 was just some that didn't get the break in percentage

Mabe it did both for them
I can't remember if there were two updates or if the breakin counter did the can update too.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The software update for the MBRP cans was for the 14's. BRP acknowledged the problem and rectified it. Go see your closest dealer and you will be good to go.

Bocephus660

Reaction score
I bought a used 13 last year with this same muffler on (only 32 miles on sled) . I drove it in ND for 5 miles and was getting the same codes. I did some research online and found others with the same issue while running the mbrp. I sold it and got a SLP. Didn't have 1 single code in 500 miles in the mountains and about 50 miles here at low elevation.

I know this doesn't fix your problem.... Just sharing my experience

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 2012 e-tec with slp can no trouble, got a 2014 with mbrp and it codes at beginning of trail, dealer said they can code it or told me when code comes on shut off sled for a few seconds then restart up again. Code is gone and sled runs all day after that fine. It seems only at beginning of day

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 2012 e-tec with slp can no trouble, got a 2014 with mbrp and it codes at beginning of trail, dealer said they can code it or told me when code comes on shut off sled for a few seconds then restart up again. Code is gone and sled runs all day after that fine. It seems only at beginning of day
That's what my buddy's does

We use it for a pop stop lol

Top Bottom