Mudjacking or concrete help required

dale+shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone on this site do mudjacking or concrete work? My driveway is slowly sinking into the abyss. I dont park the car in the garage because the rebar pins are bending down and may pop through the pad. I need knowledgeable information on which direction to take.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fairly common thing in Alberta , freeze thaw cycles, and poorly done slabs don't mix, not entirely sure what you could do , possibly a 3 inch over pour with heavy gauge wire meshing or another course of rebar , basically a slab over a slab. Not sure if that would work or not but thought about it for my rental house as my slab in the garage is bad like that.
Maybe someone else on the sight with more experience with this issue will chime in

dale+shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The pad is in good shape, so far. Its being suspended by the rebar from the pad. There is a gap under it where a small child with a skipping rope can go. (Small exaggeration).

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure then bud, if it's sinking it will continue to do so until the slab cracks if it hasn't already done so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive seen it on hgtv alot, drill 1-5/8" holes and pump some sand and cement mix in the holes. Lifts whole slab up in seconds.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is a spray foam company in Edm, that will so the same as mudjacking, but with spray foam

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Call this guy, 780 910 8619. Jamie. He did my driveway that was sunken on one side when I moved in this house 4 years ago. Still holding perfect.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
There is a spray foam company in Edm, that will so the same as mudjacking, but with spray foam

This is a good method as not only does it reinforce from below but also I the ground is very soft it an be an effective method of floating the slab. Only saw it done once but I honestly think it's a great idea

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most spray foam MSDS sheets will show that the foam product is soluble in solution meaning that contact with water or moisture will break in down. I have personally seen many applications of supply/return heat piping being installed in ground and spray foamed. After about three years the foam is more of a sponge and breaking down. Just something to think about or ask if going the spray foam method.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The pad is in good shape, so far. Its being suspended by the rebar from the pad. There is a gap under it where a small child with a skipping rope can go. (Small exaggeration).

do you have water moving through there? Something washed away your fill i think...

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score

Yup called Poly Mor, Harry Rosen 780 413 0813 ........... they use foam only need 5/8 hole and can lift a tonne. They lifted the runways at the international .... and my office floor.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Blair Mossing 780 446 2840 does the conventional as well ....... used both both great.

dale+shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No water running under the pad. I talked to the City Building dept. and they pointed out the curb cock is on one side of the yard, crossing under the drive then enters the house. Poor backfilling and packing by all parties. I just get stuck with the bill. This is chronic through all new housing. If you're going to build, have the builder install the driveway after a year of parking on it. That should pack it down.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is a good method as not only does it reinforce from below but also I the ground is very soft it an be an effective method of floating the slab. Only saw it done once but I honestly think it's a great idea
It is a proven system, it will never break down or absorb water. It is pricey like any other closed cell foam, but well worth it IMHO
Most spray foam MSDS sheets will show that the foam product is soluble in solution meaning that contact with water or moisture will break in down. I have personally seen many applications of supply/return heat piping being installed in ground and spray foamed. After about three years the foam is more of a sponge and breaking down. Just something to think about or ask if going the spray foam method.
You are referring to 1/2lbs foam, which is a low density foam. It has a great STC Rating, but only R-3.5/inch and in certain applications still requires a vapor barrier.
Yup called Poly Mor, Harry Rosen 780 413 0813 ........... they use foam only need 5/8 hole and can lift a tonne. They lifted the runways at the international .... and my office floor.
Thanks for the # Norm :beer: :beer: :D
How come nobody has recommend Cyle????
Because not every thread needs to be derailed, and he doesn't seem to be on the site anymore.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never thought of the foam idea, can't break down that much as it is used in underslab heating all the time to do their heat runs. Good idea

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Never thought of the foam idea, can't break down that much as it is used in underslab heating all the time to do their heat runs. Good idea

Closed cell foam does not break down, and will not absorb water. I would do it, if I had a slab to jack, lol.

Top Bottom