Mud lite XTR VS Maxxis Zilla

madkawi650

Reaction score
Just put 27" Zillas on my BF 650i

They are WAY lighter than the 26" XTR's I used to run.

The XTR's seem to work well untill you wear the dimple off the lug face, then the traction kinda sucks. Cornering traction is awesome. They wouldn't slide very well. even on my BF 650 SRA. but when I tried to wheelie they just spun.

In snow they rock... awesome snow tire. they paddle better than others.. The others seem to dig instead.

However, I hated the weight.. They are almost as heavy as Pure Mudzillas. they weigh 33 lbs for each back tire. The 27" zillas are only 24.7. Thats a BIG difference.

Attachments

• IMG_1897 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1897 (Large).jpg
    91 KB · Views: 268

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I`d have to agree with the guys saying Zilla`s are better. I own a set of 30"and a set of 28" Zilla`s. These are a great tire for the price and are the best all around tire I have ever had.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got the XTR's on my SXS. I have o complaints yet. I like them cause they are a very hard tire and were like iron. If i go with my tire will be more agressive but i really like the XTR`s so far. 800km on them and they still lookin like new.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have a set of the xtr's on a king 700, they have a smooth ride on the trail and have good mud traction. haven't tried the zilla tires as most mud tires shake a little and give a rough ride on trails. i would consider the opinion of someone who has seen both tires, the same size , on the same machine and the same place. true mud tires should be better in mud, but you may not like the ride on the trail that much. after a 600.00 touch you may not like a true mud tire for the lumpy ride.

jammergsxr

Reaction score
I run itp XTR's and wont buy anything else.I've never had any issues in the mud and the radial tire is far better riding on hard surface.I have never used the zilla's so this is a bias opinion.The zilla's do make any quad look really mean though.

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You would be amazed how much difference you had in power just trying the Zillas compared to the XTR's. The Zillas are way lighter, have way better traction on almost all surface, and are still smooth on hard trails IMO.

Smidgy

Reaction score
You would be amazed how much difference you had in power just trying the Zillas compared to the XTR's. The Zillas are way lighter, have way better traction on almost all surface, and are still smooth on hard trails IMO.

x2 The zillas are an awesome all around tire. I was the first to try them around here and now there is a few of us. There is a lot of people running the xtr's around here. Zillas are also a lot cheaper.

I do think XTR's have there places tho, XTR's will likely work better on a heavier machine because of being a radial, and maybe a little better at high speeds, but I have had my zillas up over 90km/hr plenty of times and it is real smooth.

The riegn of the zillas has begun!

Yamaha4Life

Reaction score
Yes for sure the zillas are a much better all around tire even if you have to do some rock climbing they are much better cause softer tire compound. The only thing is the xtr have about 450 betterkm then the zillas depending on what you do for riding. but if you want a hard tire and still a very good one go with itp 589's heavy frickin tire but wear like iron

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As for the funny comments,the guy asked about the tires,my buddy and I have the exact same bike (850 xp's) we ride trails with mud,not the real deep stuff, the mud light XTR's out perform the zilla's in my opinion, the fact that I'm not having to think back a say I went through that hole last week easier with the zilla's should carry some weight,he can hit the throttle on hard pack and the xtr's hook up and pulls the front up, mine will spin the zilla's in the same spot with either of us riding it. It's all just opinions good luck with your choice.

i can see where ngg is coming from...he rides tails with mud but not the real deap stuff...im thinking the xtrs have a finer tread patter, compared to the course tread of the zillas. escpecially on hard pack i have no doubt the xtr would lift the front end of where as the zillas would not. i run the zillas and love them to death IN THE REAL DEEP STUFF anyways. like most people say, it all depends what your riding in/ on.

ngg

Reaction score
I just sold my zilla's and tried the grim reapers, I'm sure their not as good as the zilla's or the xtr's in the deep stuff but they're radial and grip hard pack and rocks as well or better than my buddies xtr's, the best thing is they're rated an 8 ply tire so the side walls should be tougher than the other two, I'll let ya know how the tread life is when I've put a few hundred more miles on em.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have 27 9 14 and 27 11 14 xtr's and hate them.... i work in a tire shop as the mechanic and 99% of the tires fixed are mud lite's and xtr's.... way to light and easy to puncture..... i have 2 tires that have tubes in cause u can't patch them inside....... i will go with something else................

cmfic1

Reaction score
Me and a buddy did a side by side comparison last year.

I have 28" Zillas, he had 27" Mud lites.
The test was a flat bottomed goopy as hell mud hole about 1/2 way up tires.
We started side by side just a little more than idling through, I walked through in 2 wheel drive, he had to go into 4X4
Same hole, just going faster, he still always need to put in 4X4 and I never did once. His tires would not clean at all, and as was said earlier, his tires looked like slicks. You could look around & watch my treads clean while they rotated, didnt matter what speed...they were cleaning.

By the end of that weekend he had enough of a whoopin'

He now rides on Zillas too.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had XTR'S on a 800 max and with the tire pressure up so that they didn't cut side wall they didn't ride like a radial should. Tires to heavy and cut the side walls on two of them.
The tires vibrated like crazy at higher speeds. Maybe got some bad ones.
I run the stock BRP tires in the winter with spacers on the front so that i can use rears all the way around .
Have been running the Silver Backs in the summer. Have not tried the Maxxis Zilla but look to be a great tire.
XTR'S would not use again. Just what i had found.

Top Bottom