Mtn tek fix kit install info

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of ring gap should i be looking for with the mtn tek kit? Ive seen some guys say that you should open the gap a bit from the stock specs. Also are the stock reeds the best ones to run for reliability and power? This sled has the mtn tek drop in kit with the head. Havent tried it yet but am pulling the jugs to have a look at the ring gap as i dont trust the PO after seeing some of the work on the rest of the sled.

Are there better motor mounts than the stock polaris ones? Doing the mounts and all axle/jackshaft bearings at the same time.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From my personal experience I would stick with the stock reeds. I have installed the boysen stock replacement pedals in a couple of our sleds but have never had a chance to try them yet. I have never seen anything good from the v-force reeds. I worked for a dealer for 4 years and have used them myself. It was pretty much like clock work that the reeds would fail at 700km.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have installed a few kits now and the rings are always tighter than the specs from MTNTK and require some precise filing. MTNTNK states to run your ring gap from 0.019" -0.028". I have always ran them at 0.025". Make sure your cylinder clearance is no less than 0.004", preferably at 0.0045"

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the ring gap. Took it apart yesterday and the ring gap at the top of the cylinder is .016-.017. New cylinder and the motor has about 200km on it, has a few fairly deep scratches already and it looks like something got in between the piston and cyl in one spot and there is a gouge in the piston skirt and cyl. Not happy. Looking at the throttle bodies and the reeds it looks like alot of dirt is getting in the motor. The throttle bodies are black and there are dirt tracks all over the reeds. Yet the airbox looks clean ?? Not sure what is going on there at all.

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When i bought the sled he said it was a drop in mtn tek kit with head. Took the head off and it has MDS etched in it. Never heard of an MDS head???? Is that what mtn tek uses as their head???

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No, MTNTK uses a PAR head with there own dome design. Those marks in the cylinder are probably from having your ring gap to tight and they are scouring the wall. get them re-nicked and honed and get a new set of rings from MTNTK. The pistons should be wiseco as well. you might have a knock off kit in there too.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brad from power addiction sold his head business to Steve at MDS clutching. That's is why the head is stamped like that. MTNTK still uses the same head shell.....MDS or PA same shell MTNTK just has there own dome design.

Top Bottom