MPG increase? 2 stroke oil in gas ??

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK, I haven't fallen on my head !!!! LOL

Floating around on the "internet", lookin for info to increase gas mileage. Came across some forums on guys mixing 2 stroke oil in fuel to help increase mileage . 99% of the guys trying it said they loved it !!! Apparently you mix 1 oz. per 5 gals. of fuel (gas), you have to use TC W3 2 stroke oil. "They" say it helps "wet" the dry fuel we have these days.
It's supose to help with lubin the fuel pump and help with removing and reducing carbon build-up on the upper cylinder. Some on the forums say it's better than Marvel's Mystery Oil Or Lucas ??
There is some very interesting reading out there.
Anyone heard of this ??? :confused::confused:

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we had a couple guys doing that here but the $40.00 for a 4 liter of amsoil intercepter oil really wasnt worth it

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't have to run anything fancy. Just a two stroke oil that is stated as "ashless". I've run a few different brands, mostly cheaper oils and I've had great results. My truck (04' Dodge CTD) is quieter at idle and my fuel economy does pick up a bit. I did some reading on Marvel Mystery Oil a while back. Its junk, it has a lot of non-friendly fuel system chemicals in it, especially for the older mechanical style fuel pumps that use diesel to cool and lubricate them.

Go buy a case of cheap TCW-3 ashless oil from crappy tire and add a liter per tank. That's what I've been doing and I'm quite happy with the results.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't have to run anything fancy. Just a two stroke oil that is stated as "ashless". I've run a few different brands, mostly cheaper oils and I've had great results. My truck (04' Dodge CTD) is quieter at idle and my fuel economy does pick up a bit. I did some reading on Marvel Mystery Oil a while back. Its junk, it has a lot of non-friendly fuel system chemicals in it, especially for the older mechanical style fuel pumps that use diesel to cool and lubricate them.

Go buy a case of cheap TCW-3 ashless oil from crappy tire and add a liter per tank. That's what I've been doing and I'm quite happy with the results.

I've been adding a third of a litre per tank just to ensure good lubrication on the pump and injectors. I buy mine at the CO-OP

grizzly se

Reaction score
you do realize burning 2stroke oil in a deisel engine will eventually plug the injector nozzels up, defeating the purpose of mpg. One thing you should'nt do is burn atf in your deisel. They have added a friction agent to the oil to help in the auto clutch packs [slivers of steel]. The best I have found is a bio fuel conditioner, that helps lube and cool the injectors and also cleans the tips:beer: my 2 cents

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have found no increase in mileage, only a quieter running engine,.. One of the TOP 3 recommended is the Super Tech TCW-3 outboard 2cycle from Walmart $3L.

You want extra MPG add some Power Service Diesel Kleen, I gain about 1-2mpg using it every tank full.

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is this just for diesel or gas jobs as well

Yes you can use it in diesel BUT I was just refering to GAS engines !
If bottles of Tech outboard are only $3 , it's pretty cheap fuel treatment !!:)
Guys were even running it in motorcycles and riding lawnmowers with good results. (quieter motors and better idle) .
Still readin about it !!!:confused:

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you do realize burning 2stroke oil in a deisel engine will eventually plug the injector nozzels up, defeating the purpose of mpg. One thing you should'nt do is burn atf in your deisel. They have added a friction agent to the oil to help in the auto clutch packs [slivers of steel]. The best I have found is a bio fuel conditioner, that helps lube and cool the injectors and also cleans the tips:beer: my 2 cents

There was a great write-up on burning used ATF and Hydro oil in older engines with no added wear. 8 lug mag or something. I have run hydraulic oil mixed for years in my 2000 cummins, smells funny works the same. Filter it and dump it in.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ANd you can add Toluene too for added gas mileage. Cheap at Home Depot. Never tired either myself.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ANd you can add Toluene too for added gas mileage. Cheap at Home Depot. Never tired either myself.
Yeah and if ya try a little diff butter I hear it smoothes out the ride even more.........I mix mine with elbow grease to make it that much more fun.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes you can use it in diesel BUT I was just refering to GAS engines !
If bottles of Tech outboard are only $3 , it's pretty cheap fuel treatment !!:)
Guys were even running it in motorcycles and riding lawnmowers with good results. (quieter motors and better idle) .
Still readin about it !!!:confused:

Don't think I would try that in a gasser, might have adverse effects on your catalytic converter. Mind you some guys do on diesels with cat converters

I do add on my diesel, minor mileage increase, makes exhaust smell much less intense. Maybe even a bit quieter. Do not do it if you still have a DPF filter on your diesel!

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have found no increase in mileage, only a quieter running engine,.. One of the TOP 3 recommended is the Super Tech TCW-3 outboard 2cycle from Walmart $3L.

That's what I've been putting in my Duramax here and there. Feels like it's a little smoother and quieter. I thought I picked up a little mileage but I have been playing with setup too so who knows.

I add 1 liter / 200l tank. Pretty lean.

I did read about guys adding a little bit in their gas jobs too, I've been a little chicken to do it to my wifes car, it threw a code when I put regular fuel in it and simply not worth the hassle? I'd do it if it was my DD not hers.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont care about fuel milage if i did i would of bought a vw jetta just looks funny put my 35 foot fifth wheel behind the jetta if u can afford the $70000 truck u can afford to put the fuel in it just saying :d

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

???????????????????????????what planet are you from?
i have ran atf,2 stroke whatever in diesels for years never had an issue.
the kids grandfather runs his generator on USED oil, of any kind, been runing it now for two yrs just changes out the filter going to the pump once or twice a month been running it for 2 yrs now never had an issue. and he runs his house and shop off it. no power bill either. filters are cheap about 10-20 bucks each and the oil is free. life is good.

mel.h

Reaction score
???????????????????????????what planet are you from?
i have ran atf,2 stroke whatever in diesels for years never had an issue.
the kids grandfather runs his generator on USED oil, of any kind, been runing it now for two yrs just changes out the filter going to the pump once or twice a month been running it for 2 yrs now never had an issue. and he runs his house and shop off it. no power bill either. filters are cheap about 10-20 bucks each and the oil is free. life is good.

I too have been using two stroke oil in Cat truck engines & my 5.9 Cummins & the reason i started was on the advice of a Heavy Duty Mechanic that is retired from Finning.... he said it helps lubricate the pump & injectors with no issues of failure or clogging. He also said that the best he had come across was the ( oh, i don't want to say this... but it is the Yamaha oil) hope my doo will forgive me for writing those 6 letters. Don't think i would use atf ( i was told that the cleaning agent in it does not do anything for your fuel system) or used engine oil as most of the lubricity is gone & all that is left is the harmful chemicals. JMO

smokindiesel

Reaction score
two stroke oil will not clogg your injectors unless you run some pretty high mixtures. The feul spraying out of your injectors come out at anywhere from 5000psi to 30 000psi. Poor injection pressures, or poor feul quality is what will clogg an injector, typically the internals of the injector fail befor the tip becomes clogged. Two stroke oil will lube the pump and the injector internals wich will make all the parts in the injection system last way longer. I haven't run two stroke oil in my truck, I run amsoil additives evey tank(cetane boost aids milage) but I know of many people that add two stroke oil, its an old trick that many older heavy duty mechanics use. On a mechaincal injectoin pump it normally does increase milage. On the newer common rail systems IT probable won't increase milage. If you want milage start modifying your diesel, you can significantly increase milage with the apropreate mods. Now the gas side of things I'm not sure if it would help much.

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been trying it in a few tanks now. I THINK it's working, I seem to be getting better mileage with the truck. (too lazy to do the math, plus my odometer works only half the time) It also seems to idle better. My father-in-law tried it and said his truck ran worse but he couldn't tell me how much he put in or with what fuel.
Verdict is still out as to whether it works or not but I will keep trying !!

Top Bottom