moving to onoway. need help with internet.

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the last piece of paperwork has been signed and me and the girlfriend bought an acreage in onoway. We're moving in on may 1 and im trying to get all the utilities set up. Its a new house and I forgot to ask the former owner about internet. I tried to get my shaw cable Internet transferred there buy they said they dont provide service out there. What does everyone else out in the rural areas use for Internet?

The place is only 4km from the town. On rr22 about 2km north of hwy 37.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
your options will likely be Xplornet or Platinum communications.... google and call each of them..... Platinum is significantly faster than xplornet.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I live on RR20 about 5km north of 16 we have xplornet it is going down hill fast, tower capacity apparently is at 134% last time my wife called and complained about the speed.

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have decent cell service just tether from a smart phone. We use Xplornet in our camps and it's terrible. Around here they won't sell xplornet any more because they said it's oversubscribed. Our xplornet package isn't cheap...maybe just under $200 a month so for that you could add quite a bit of data to your cell phone.

I tether from my iphone if i lose my wireless service and it's not too bad for speed.

buckie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya as long as you have a cell signal you can go with a telus hub, we use it out here rather than xplornet we had nothin but crap from those clowns, our hub is 45$ a month works like a hot dam

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I live in Alberta beach I can hook you up with a buddy of mind he does that out your way , I think it's around 35 bucks a month

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got the Xplornet satellite on the latest one the sent up. So far so good, way better and cheaper than my Aircards I've run before. I tried a smart hub but couldn't get a decent enough signal for some reason.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
xplornet sucks I have a dish on the side of my house in the middle of nowhere LOL

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
xplornet sucks I have a dish on the side of my house in the middle of nowhere LOL

Yeah, that's what I thought Nothing but how brutal they are on the 'net.. Couple of my neighbours got Xplornet and went on and on about how good this new satellite was. I thought I'd give it a try and so far it's been excellent. I can do stuff that was impossible before like streaming video, Netflix etc.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I thought Nothing but how brutal they are on the 'net.. Couple of my neighbours got Xplornet and went on and on about how good this new satellite was. I thought I'd give it a try and so far it's been excellent. I can do stuff that was impossible before like streaming video, Netflix etc.
Explornet launched a new satalite a while back and the coverage in northern BC did not improve but was supposed to be better for the rest of canada :rant:

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Explornet launched a new satalite a while back and the coverage in northern BC did not improve but was supposed to be better for the rest of canada :rant:

I hear ya, price of living rural I guess.. It's still brutal compared to what you can get in town for half the price but much better than an AirCard with a crappy signal.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Xplornet is brutal. If mcsnet is available in the Onoway area check them out. 60 gigs for 60 bucks a month with good speeds.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I have no, well little issue, with xplornets speed..... Slow on this old thing but on my newer work computer I can stream Utube videos and surf all I want with no noticeable lagg.... My issue with xplornet is their customer service and sneaky tactics...

On our old system they were unable to track useage... when our dish chit the bed they quickly sent a guy over to "upgrade" out equipment, we were told we would notice an increase in speed with the new hardware, what we weren't told is with the new hardware our $29.95 unlimited useage was null & void and our bill jumped to $480 that next month... I fought, they reduced it, changed plans, now have to pay $80 for 60 gigs and often exceed that to put my monthly bill over $100.

As soon as I have an alternative I'm gone, Telus high speed is apparently on it's way, and platnum communications says within 6 months they will be able to reach our place...

Xplornet was slow before the new tower, but I have no issues now.. just my sore bum once a month....

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was with xplornet for a while using their wireless system, found there internet service was extremely sub-par and unreliable( I could go days/weeks without a connection).., along with their customer service about the worst I have ever encountered anywhere, I say avoid them like the plauge! I switched to CCI wireless and could not be happier. Monthly bill is cheaper, have never lost connectivity, customer service is great and I get to talk to somebody in Alberta..., not some ass in ontario working for Xplonet who does not understand what rural Alberta is
My $.02

Top Bottom