Move to Mackenzie???

riposte

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls like the title says i'm thinking about moving up to Mackenzie from Fernie. Just kinda looking to cement an answer as some people i've talked to say it's an awesome little town that an outdoor enthusiast like me would really enjoy. Some have said things not so pleasant too... I've driven up through there stone sheep hunting and it's probably my favourite type of country, not to mention the big clean lakes everywhere around it. Any locals care to chime in???

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and girls like the title says i'm thinking about moving up to Mackenzie from Fernie. Just kinda looking to cement an answer as some people i've talked to say it's an awesome little town that an outdoor enthusiast like me would really enjoy. Some have said things not so pleasant too... I've driven up through there stone sheep hunting and it's probably my favourite type of country, not to mention the big clean lakes everywhere around it. Any locals care to chime in???
Its where all the crackheads and drunks go to escape civilization. You can still work and nobody notices.

riposte

Reaction score
Damnit, what is it with crackheads and drugged out retards wrecking all these could be amazing northern communities??? I'm a journeyman welder with heavy duty/millwright hours and I currently work for one of the coal mines down in the kootenays. Fernie is ridiculously expensive these days and every weekend thousands of albertans come crashing in and it's getting pretty old dealing with everything that comes with massive amounts of tourists.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fernie is ridiculously expensive these days and every weekend thousands of albertans come crashing in and it's getting pretty old dealing with everything that comes with massive amounts of tourists.

Well sorry to break it to you bud, but "thousands of Albertans" go crashing in that area too. Good luck trying to make a living there, especially with an attitude like that. Chitty first impression you give.

riposte

Reaction score
Well sorry to break it to you bud, but "thousands of Albertans" go crashing in that area too. Good luck trying to make a living there, especially with an attitude like that. Chitty first impression you give.
Ha, yeah I re-read my post and it did sound a bit dickish. I meant no offence to albertans but tourists in general and unless you live in a place like Fernie you wouldn't understand. You also can't compare the amount of people visiting Fernie with that of Mackenzie. There's just about 400 thousand visitors to the town every winter and the summers are getting busier and busier every year. It is what it is though and this IS a beautiful town so I can understand why everyone wants to come but I prefer the quieter places like the Fernie of old.

• Thanks
Reactions: zal

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a tiny town with minimal services that is very isolated and is extremely dependent on the forest industry. In 2009 all of it's employers shut down when commodity prices fell and housing prices crashed, they are still very low as it's a one horse town at the end of a dead end highway. Great access to fishing, hunting, jet boating, sledding, and quadding. Too small and isolated for me but lots of people like it there. GF grew up there and has fond memories but was very glad to get out in her early teens.

riposte

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, I kept hearing it was on the ups but after some research it definitely looks like a one horse town. Might have to look into the Terrace and Kitimat area. Theres a massive gold mine thats supposed to be well on its way to fruition up there so hopefully thats a future option. I heard chetwynd has a "green" gas plant that in the works too...

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a tiny town with minimal services that is very isolated and is extremely dependent on the forest industry. In 2009 all of it's employers shut down when commodity prices fell and housing prices crashed, they are still very low as it's a one horse town at the end of a dead end highway. Great access to fishing, hunting, jet boating, sledding, and quadding. Too small and isolated for me but lots of people like it there. GF grew up there and has fond memories but was very glad to get out in her early teens.
That is a real problem for families in the Mackenzie area, little to do for the kids, they get bored and you either have to get them out of town or they turn to the dark side for entertainment. Many parents there taking their kids to Prince George for sporting activities. A 2 hour drive with some real bad conditions in the winter.

Its all about what you want, but sadly most who move to isolated communities do it to hide, not to get back to nature. Mackenzie is a hard, tuff town.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is a real problem for families in the Mackenzie area, little to do for the kids, they get bored and you either have to get them out of town or they turn to the dark side for entertainment. Many parents there taking their kids to Prince George for sporting activities. A 2 hour drive with some real bad conditions in the winter.

Its all about what you want, but sadly most who move to isolated communities do it to hide, not to get back to nature. Mackenzie is a hard, tuff town.
I think small towns are good for young kids as it's easier to keep them busy with family and community activities and it teaches them a good set of morals but as they get older they need more options or as you say the temptation of the dark side is too great.

4Cats

Reaction score
i doubt you will like MacKenzie,,being from a town the size of Fernie,,,,Im near Williams Lake and spent the summer working in MacKenzie,,,couldnt wait to get out,,,too small,,,cant even rent a movie from a store there

Top Bottom