mounting deck right on bed rails

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello

I recently picked up a "home made" sled deck for my truck .. it's a nice deck but the legs are bolted on and aren't braced, they just seem flimsy.. I'm sure if I shackle the deck down and brace the legs they would be fine.. but I was thinking about taking the legs right off and mounting the deck right on the bed rails like the truckboss design

I looked up truckboss and they just use heavy duty tonneau style clamps.

Anyone mount their deck this way ? any advice / issues ?

IMG_2228.jpg

IMG_2229.jpg

IMG_2230.jpg

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hey dude, how's summer out there on the coast?

My deck is virtually mounted on the frame. I say virtually because it is high enough for the ramp to fit underneath. A little creative thinking and some channel will get the deck up a little higher and you can use the channel for the space for the ramp. My new deck will be mounted on a 4" channel to hold the ramp.

Another thing to keep in mind is the height of the tires. Will they rub on the decking material?

Keep asking questions and you can make it work.........:D

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is my opinion only, the truckboss deck is very nice well built product and I love the idea of it somewhat sealed from the elements, but coming from an automotive back ground a truck box does flex on uneven terrain, off-roading, just driving through a ditch ect. Sometimes it very hard to see but it is happening and the possibility is there to cause some real damage to your box. Again jmo which isn't worth sh:t sometimes lol

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Truckboss is on my deck and seems to be working really well, with support legs installed.
Used to have decks right on the rails with no legs over 10 years ago. Bent the box out so it would hardly close. Always had legs of one kind or another since

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hey dude, how's summer out there on the coast?

My deck is virtually mounted on the frame. I say virtually because it is high enough for the ramp to fit underneath. A little creative thinking and some channel will get the deck up a little higher and you can use the channel for the space for the ramp. My new deck will be mounted on a 4" channel to hold the ramp.

Another thing to keep in mind is the height of the tires. Will they rub on the decking material?

Keep asking questions and you can make it work.........:D

I've got flatdeck on the brain........thought you were going to take the box off and mount it that way......Sorry!

steve250f

Reaction score
That's the way we use to do that in the old days , but ! With these new trucks and the thiner metal in the boxes in will break up your box they are so thin try it but you will regret it

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
advice taken ! thanks folks

FS: Summer is awesome !! rode the sled not too long ago but she's sleeping now till the snow flies again.

keeping myself busy riding trials bike, mountain bike, climbing, wake surfing, etc till we all have big smiles on our faces again!

Hows it going over there in Fernie ?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
advice taken ! thanks folks

FS: Summer is awesome !! rode the sled not too long ago but she's sleeping now till the snow flies again.

keeping myself busy riding trials bike, mountain bike, climbing, wake surfing, etc till we all have big smiles on our faces again!

Hows it going over there in Fernie ?

A little reprieve from the heat and the flooding. A few people had full basements in west Fernie. More damage in Elkford and Hosmer than in Fernie. She was wild for a few days and nip and tuck with some of the main bridges.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would add as much triangular bracing from the crossmember and front-to-back beams and to as low as you can go on the legs (without causing ramp issues) from those points to keep the legs straight and then bolt it to the box. Bracing it from front to back and sideways will help keep the legs in check better, I would leave the bolts in as well, just add the braces. I wouldn't set it down on the box rails, they will crumple from what I have heard where other guys have done the same thing.

PS. if you weld on some drop downs and then some channel aluminum off the bottom of the cross members (or right to the legs), you can slide your ramp right up under the deck and not have it on the bed of the box. leaves your box free to slide in jerry cans/groceries etc. without fighting with the ramp in the way.

Top Bottom