Mounting a winch to flatdeck carhauler ?????

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a new carhauler on the weekend and want to mount a winch on it for pulling stuff on to the trailer (dead cars, equipment,etc) . Do you guys have any do's and don't for doing this ???
Bought a winch (the big one) today from Costco, so it comes with a quick-connect mount so all I have to do is weld or bolt a receiver to the trailer, pin the winch in and mount a battery and I should be good to go , right ???
Give me all the advice you guys got ........... cause I want to do this right !!! I hate going to do something and you have to "mickey-mouse" it to get it to work or you have nothing but issues !!
Like Mike Holmes says "Do it right the first time !!!" LOL
Thanks, eh!

han solo

Reaction score
I have pretty much what your talking about. Made plates for front of trailer, then bolted a hitch to them. The hitch sits on the deck, doesnt really take up much room. Then mounted the winch on a receiver, run the cables to the truck. I didnt want to buy another battery, mount it, take care of it, etc. There is 2 under the hood of the truck anyways. My winch is 10,000lbs, I drug up the ramps so far, 3 tractors, 1 truck. 1 tractor had flat tires, coming off rims. Winched drug them up, made if work abit as tractor didnt really roll that well. If its nice out this weekend, I will put the winch on & try to get pics on here. If not, I will email them to you.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a smaller 16 foot car trailer...

I mounted my warn 2500 quad winch on it with a group 27 Rv battery. Figured if I needed more pull that's what a snach block is for.

It will pull a 92 dodge 3/4 ton Dsl on the trailer with out the snach block...

I think in the quad the battery isn't big enough to make the winch power enough

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i saw that winch at costco too, not sure how well it will hold up in the elements. maybe fab up a system where the mount can stay attached to the frame and remove the winch when not in use

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a new carhauler on the weekend and want to mount a winch on it for pulling stuff on to the trailer (dead cars, equipment,etc) . Do you guys have any do's and don't for doing this ???
Bought a winch (the big one) today from Costco, so it comes with a quick-connect mount so all I have to do is weld or bolt a receiver to the trailer, pin the winch in and mount a battery and I should be good to go , right ???
Give me all the advice you guys got ........... cause I want to do this right !!! I hate going to do something and you have to "mickey-mouse" it to get it to work or you have nothing but issues !!
Like Mike Holmes says "Do it right the first time !!!" LOL
Thanks, eh!
I did the same thing to a trailer I don't have anymore but I mounted mine up in the v/ hitch frame. So it wouldn't eat up deck space! Just build a frame across and get some reciever tube, weld her up. I also built a bent up 16g box that hinged over top to protect from gravel rash! I think I used a motet cycle batt, it was laying around the shop, small and cheap. It worked

Last edited:

rmk 800 144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mount your quick attach too the front cross bar then your good to go!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the imput guys !!! Finally had some time today (so to speak of) ...so mounted the winch. Found a under mount bumper hitch at "Princess Auto" and just flipped it over and mounted it to the front crossmember with 4 big bolts, thru the deck. I can get the welder out and run a bead across the front just for added strenght, if I think it needs it , we will see !!
I also put the winch together ...and looks like it should work real good. Man, is it heavy !! For now I am just going to use a battery or two (on the trailer) to run the winch, till I get the truck "wired" up for charging the batteries while I drive !!

Top Bottom