Mounting a rear cargo box

Mik-B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice. I have had a cargo box for years () and until now, I've had it mounted using u-bolts. There wasn't enough room to get a ratchet on the nuts with the u-bolts pointing down, so they currently point up, into the box.

This has been more than frustrating. As cargo gets tossed around inside the box, it is often damaged by the bolts, which extend beyond the nuts. I haven't cut the bolts shorter, as the length really helps, when installing and removing the box (I don't like to keep it mounted all the time)

I was hoping someone had a creative way to mount the box that is sturdy, doesn't rattle, and is quick and easy to take off and put back on.

(I am mounting the box to an '05 Brute Force 750)

Thanks!

-Mike

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use u bolts and cut the extra length off, easy to remove.... Don't be so lazy, lol!!

Also you have to pack things in cargo boxes tight, use extra old towels or spare clothing. U bolted down is less likely to get stolen off you truck...

But if you must, just use ratchet straps or bungees ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
why not put a piece of foam or something over the bolts? or lay a piece of foam over teh whole bottom of the box? I cut the bolts on mine off after its been used a few times and then tightened up again, then I glued a piece of foam overtop.

nd4spd

Reaction score
I took a thick rubber mat that you put in front of machinery on concrete with the holes in it an cut it the shape of my box; this way the nuts don't wear through stuff as well as it keeps your stuff out of the moisture that can accumilate on the bottom of the box

Mik-B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
STYKO, lol, I'm not being lazy. I've considered cutting off the extra length, but I've found that I need the extra length to get them in place, when removing/installing it. I refuse to use bungees or ratchet straps :) I like your idea about backing it tighter with old towels, though.

TylerG and nd4spd, thanks, I think I'll use that cargo mat idea. I was trying to figure out what I could use for a "false-bottom" of sorts.

Maybe I'll try chopping off the extra length, and worst case scenario, I buy some new u-bolts if I can't get them back in, later.

Thanks for the help, guys!

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know your not being lazy, lol, I am still trying to make a faster way for tie straping the bike down, but ratchet straps only take a few minutes.....I like that false bottom idea with a rubber/foam mat for the box though...

The polaris quads have the quick lock thing on their boxes, but they fall off every now and then too, best bet is u bolts....

before I never cut the extra length off the u bolts and I damaged the bottom of my cooler for "water:cool:" bouncing around all over the place....

If you come up with a better system let us know!!! cheers

Top Bottom