Mountain Magic

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drove by their shop and saw the sign gone. Google says Permanently closed. Anyone here know what happened ? They were around for a long time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The days of building $40k-$50k mod sleds are gone. There are still a few who do it for the love of doing it, but the fact of the matter is that you are much further ahead financially and time wise to just purchase a new turbo. I am not one on a turbo and am still riding a couple of older mods but I can tell you with certainty that there is no solid future in selling cans, chain case parts, and spark plugs lol. To most it comes down to the simplicity of just purchasing a new sled every year or two and having an insane machine that is leaps and bounds ahead of %99 of the mod sleds built anyways.

Sad days ahead… but you will see fewer and fewer of the real sled builders around due to not being able to keep the doors open.

I am not saying this is the only reason for MM as Ken had a very good and long run, but I can assure you that this played a part in the decision to shut her down.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The days of building $40k-$50k mod sleds are gone. There are still a few who do it for the love of doing it, but the fact of the matter is that you are much further ahead financially and time wise to just purchase a new turbo. I am not one on a turbo and am still riding a couple of older mods but I can tell you with certainty that there is no solid future in selling cans, chain case parts, and spark plugs lol. To most it comes down to the simplicity of just purchasing a new sled every year or two and having an insane machine that is leaps and bounds ahead of %99 of the mod sleds built anyways.

Sad days ahead… but you will see fewer and fewer of the real sled builders around due to not being able to keep the doors open.

I am not saying this is the only reason for MM as Ken had a very good and long run, but I can assure you that this played a part in the decision to shut her down.

Agreed, not the only reason though. Skinz is an example, was for sale a long time prior to closing.

Combined shortage of people, lack of desire to work is impacting all trades. When the boomers began to enter the work force that created a huge problem, now they are leaving creating more issue's.

I will also add sledding in the mountains is going to be very different in the future......sad days are ahead.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to hear Kenny has retired. Known him well over the years more so from racing than mountain Magic. He di build beautiful stuff over his career. Was fun to race against as well

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to hear Kenny has retired. Known him well over the years more so from racing than mountain Magic. He di build beautiful stuff over his career. Was fun to race against as well
What classes did you compete against Ken in .....Ken lol

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had a 2000 700 RMK 136, took it to Ken in 2003. He stretched it out to a 151 and the first time I only saw 2 back wheels inside the rails.
It was a great improvement at the time.

700 RMK.jpg

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We raced in Formula 1 against each other. He had a 82 IFS 340 Skidoo and I had my 85 skidoo 340 twin tracker. Ken was the NWSA tech director for a few years as well. First time I met him was in my first year racing amateur classes. He had a perennial scowl on his face so scared the heck out of me! Haha

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic from us racing back in the 80’s. From far left to right is Donny Benson 19, Me 72, Ken 40, Kenny Benson 18, Everett Backus 99 and Len Bratko 321. Good times!

Attachments

• A46610EC-DE35-4DFC-9DD9-0B82A8D62A16.jpeg
    A46610EC-DE35-4DFC-9DD9-0B82A8D62A16.jpeg
    258.4 KB · Views: 215

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AWSOME picture !!

I have seen many older mods with the MM tunnel braces still kicking around he built some nice stuff. Pretty sure his son took it over after he retired, and as was said the OEM turbo craze may have been the final nail

At least the old Flatlanders / Specialty shop is still around

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also used to go to Ken just for some tuning and tracks and parts, He always had time for me and I really respected him and his shop for the quality work they did! Hope he is doing well with his retirement!

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He had been looking at it maybe being time soon even before the factory turbo's came out. There will always be guys out there looking to do some mods; but running a shop costs alot of money. He is a very smart man; betting a few jobs here and there for certain people out of a garage is way less stressful and still quite profitable.

han solo

Reaction score
I seen that scowl on Ken’s face coupe times when was at MM.
I had a 2000 700 RMK 136, took it to Ken in 2003. He stretched it out to a 151 and the first time I only saw 2 back wheels inside the rails.
It was a great improvement at the time.

View attachment 267431
Ken at Specialty sled told me he found a loss in hp running only 2 wheels. Must of been bs as all mfgs run 2 wheels. Is that Ken still around?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ken at Specialty sled told me he found a loss in hp running only 2 wheels. Must of been bs as all mfgs run 2 wheels. Is that Ken still around?
A lot of people think HP is what its all about. By making a sled roll more efficiently you can save HP. I would think a 4 wheel system on the rear axle is better than a 2 wheel system

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

its a tradeoff for handling and weight i suppose, we ran 4 wheels racing for durability and rolling resistance.

and yes, that ken is still around. Sledding lots, retired. Sold specialty sleds to Rob and Krista keen who now run it out of spruce grove. Ken still does some odds and enns on the side.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its a tradeoff for handling and weight i suppose, we ran 4 wheels racing for durability and rolling resistance.

and yes, that ken is still around. Sledding lots, retired. Sold specialty sleds to Rob and Krista keen who now run it out of spruce grove. Ken still does some odds and enns on the side.
I was friends with both but I don't think there was any love lost between the 2 of them. Both competing for the same dollar though so expected I guess.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Defiantly no love lost! Lol I think you were either a specialty guy or a MM guy, personally I always got treated like a bug when I went into magic, although I'm not really the most social guy out there either!

Top Bottom