Mountain Biking

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone in to mountain biking?

I would just be a beginner, but want to get a good bike and maybe go somewhere like Jasper. Anybody ever do anything like that?

markm

Reaction score
I have been cross country biking for a few years and started downhilling last year. Cross country is great for cardio but downhill is great for adrenaline. What kind of bike are you looking to buy?

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't really know. It has been awhile since my last bike. Got way out of shape there for awhile, but have turned around. Downhill looks like it would be an adrenaline rush, but probably alittle too much for me.

Just doing some research online they say full suspension is the way to go, but the good ones are pricey. Its not like I am going to be some professional rider so I will probably just go with a hardtail. Specialized seem to make a few good bikes that aren't too expensive. Just started looking really.

markm

Reaction score
If you are able to, Jasper has a couple of shops that rent bikes so you could try hardtail and full suspension bikes. I have a full suspension bike and I am glad I bought it rather than a hardtail. I rented a hardtail in Jasper and it was fun but I realized the comfort level a full suspension offers the first time I rode one.

When I bought my crosscountry bike, I told the salesman that I didn't see myself doing big jumps/drops etc. Then I tried downhill once, bought a bike and spent 6 days last fall in Golden and Sunpeaks running big drops and jumps. It was great minus the epic crash I had coming down a run-the shop never bled my brakes properly and I had nothing so I bailed into the tulips. I came out of it okay and it made for a great story over beers.

mikey1

Reaction score
If ou are just starting out I would go with a hardtail.They tend to make you a better ride as you don't have the full suspension to compensate for you.You learn the skills better.With a full suspension bike you can just plow through everything but with a hardtail you have to pick your lines to avoid the obstacles which results in you being a smoother rider overall.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone I have ridden with that bought a hardtail regrets it. They then switched to a F/S and now love it. Rooty bumpy rutty trails can be a recipe for saddle soreness and kidneys.
I have been riding for years in Edmonton's river valley. I rode Kicking horse a couple of times, and also mount 7. Golden also has some awesome singletrack in the valley that runs to their ski hill.
I had a Cannondale Jeckyll for 6 years, and this fall just purchased a Santa cruz Nomad. It is a sweet ride and is capable of cross country, and downhill.
Not the best of both but it is pretty good.

Here's a few pics:)

Attachments

• Last 12 Months-2.jpg
    Last 12 Months-2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Last 12 Months-3.jpg
    Last 12 Months-3.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Last 12 Months-0.jpg
    Last 12 Months-0.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Last 12 Months-1.jpg
    Last 12 Months-1.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 29

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I want a full suspension bike. I won't get to ride a ton, but I want something good. Going to go check out a couple places tomorrow. I don't have that much knowledge about bikes so hopefully I make the right choice on a bike tomorrow. Figured now I might be able to get a deal.

How are Specialized bikes?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to River Valley cycle. Talk to Syd or Jarrid. Tell him that "Nomad Mark" sent ya and to show you the Kona Dawg dee lux...XT/ deore package, 7"disc. He will get you the best deal, with lifetime service too.
For cross country he has the primo 120. 5 inches of travel front and back. I think it was on for 1500$ Deore package. For a F/S you will have to drop at least that much$$ to have a ride that will stand up. I never looked at Specialized, I'm sure they make a good bike too. Ride them, compare components, service, and you will find one.
Check out pinkbike.com also for comparisons and mtbr.com for reviews.
Dawg dee lux

One 20

markm

Reaction score
I ride a kona kikapu deluxe that I purchased at River valley cycle. The bike has stood up to quite a bit of punishment and I have not had any problems. RVC offers excellent service with free lifetime tuneups. More than minor repairs do cost $.

Specialized make good bikes as well. From my experience, kona offers the most bang for your buck. To get a decent FS bike, you probably need to commit to at least $1500. It will be worth it in the end. You might find specials, but don't sacrifice fit and comfort for a few saved dollars if the bike you want is not available.

ghglenn

Reaction score
I second the FS over hard-tail. I have an older Ellsworth Joker, and couldn't imagine riding a hard tail anymore. The suspension and geometry (specifically, head angles) on "all mountain" bikes are nice. Not as sharp steering as a XC bike, but quick enough, and forgiving in the tight stuff. If you are trying to save a little, the larger companies (mass produced) like Trek, Specialized, or Giant would be a good start. If money is not a consideration, that Nomad by Santa Cruz would be my first choice:d

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I will just go to a few stores today. Not buying today just looking.

I got River Valley, United, and Revolution

vanislerev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice Nomad... Ive got a bullit myself, my 3rd to be exact. The one i have now is an older 6 inch travel 2001 frame with a 07 fox 36 float on it, though i just ordered a 2010 888 RC3 EVO and have a buddy lookin at a fresh off warranty Demo 8 frame this year. Since i moved to Edmonton from BC i hardly ever use the bike for anything but trips to lift or shuttle access trails in BC, or the odd little trip to rabbit hill.
Last year at rabbit hill
pbpic1379525.jpg

My bike as it looks now
pbpic1377207.jpg

2 Years ago @ Whistler
pbpic1049874.jpg

Even further back in time, back on the island
pbpic734702.jpg

Top Bottom