More wolf vs. elk video - on TV April 8th

Apex162

Reaction score
Same thing is happening here in Alberta, The wolf cull needs to be done here also.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with you Apex162. It's getting harder to find elk in areas where there used to be lots. My first year elk hunting north of Hinton it wasn't unusaual to hear the wolves howling at 9 a.m. One afternoon as I sat along the Berlind river amunst some drift wood waiting for any elk that may come to the river for water I got the chance to witness a cow elk out running 3 wolves. She made it across the river at a spot that was to deep and fast moving for the wolves.

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with you Apex162. It's getting harder to find elk in areas where there used to be lots. My first year elk hunting north of Hinton it wasn't unusaual to hear the wolves howling at 9 a.m. One afternoon as I sat along the Berlind river amunst some drift wood waiting for any elk that may come to the river for water I got the chance to witness a cow elk out running 3 wolves. She made it across the river at a spot that was to deep and fast moving for the wolves.

Did you shoot the wolves...because that is the only way to start effectively dropping there numbers!:D

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is there a open season for hunting wolves or are they protected

Wolfves are like coyotes, no season when you see them start shooting any time of the year thats my policy!!!!:PDT_gun::trustme: I come from a ranching back ground in the foothills south west of Calgary and wolves are hell on livestock!!!

Apex162

Reaction score
I took down a lone black wolf from 310 yds last hunting season. He was a mess all skinny and beat up, must of been kicked out of the pack and left to fend for himself. There needs to be a balance in nature and hunting and trapping has a part in that balance. If we feel that nature takes care of itself, look at the bunnies in Kelowna B.C. and how they will take over the city soon.:)

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took down a lone black wolf from 310 yds last hunting season. He was a mess all skinny and beat up, must of been kicked out of the pack and left to fend for himself. There needs to be a balance in nature and hunting and trapping has a part in that balance. If we feel that nature takes care of itself, look at the bunnies in Kelowna B.C. and how they will take over the city soon.:)

Did the wolf have mange? Or just maybe an old wolf too. Nice shot though what were you using for a shooter?

Apex162

Reaction score
The wolf was old and did have mange, I may have sped up his destiny. I use a Tikka 300 mag. point and shoot to 300 yds-very impressive rifle. It was strange at first to see a wolf at noon running alone in a open field. Wolf's don't take pitty on the old and weak in thier pack, put up or leave I quess.

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The wolf was old and did have mange, I may have sped up his destiny. I use a Tikka 300 mag. point and shoot to 300 yds-very impressive rifle. It was strange at first to see a wolf at noon running alone in a open field. Wolf's don't take pitty on the old and weak in thier pack, put up or leave I quess.

I have been using a 300 Rem ultra mag for the last 5 years, and I just bought another thumper a 358 norma mag. Havn't evan got a scope on it yet but once I get home it'll be a sighted in.:D

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I usually keep my mouth shut when I see posts like this as it usully turns out to be a battle that is never won by either side. As someone who has spent some considerable time educating myself on wolves, this whole idea that Wolves need to be culled just pisses me right off. Irony here is that instead of reducing the number of Elk, Moose or Deer that hunters can take, the kneejerk reaction is to cull the wolves. Far more ungulates are killed by vehicles and trains every year than by wolves, but no one talks about stopping the trains from running or not letting anyone drive during the rut or calving season. Too many myths around wolves have been perpetuated for too many years. I'm not a "greenie" extreme by any means and have been part of hunting, fishing and farming families for generations. I spend a lot of time in the bush and just decided to educate myself on many apsects of the outdoors. I really wish more people would adopt a policy of truth instead of fear mongering and mistruths. As a matter of fact wasn't there just a gentlemen at the Boat and Sportsman show that gave a speech on game management using the natural balance to our advantage. That it is far more effective in the long run than the current alternatives. Short sightedness is dangerous in any situation. Wolves remove the weak, sick and unwanted of a herd. In the long run that means healthier, stronger populations. I spent time with wolves up in Hay River. Even came back with two wolf/husky cross dogs. Amazing creatures! If you ever want to shoot the sh*^ about wolves, bring the beer and meet in my backyard. I'll let you in on the truths and not the media perpetuated half truths.

As for the rabbits in Kelowna, they were domestics released into the town. That's a whole other issue.

I'm out............

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Zrrr I have seen first hand of wolves preying on the weak my father has lost in the last 15 years around 20 head of calves and one cow that was calving we shoot 2 of the 7 wolves that were chewing on the cow while giving birth I am sure your not a guy that lives next to the rockies and relies on your calf herd to keep the farm/ranch from being sold to the next rich oil guy!!.

over!

Top Bottom