Moisture in the garage!

WCTHEMI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am loving finally having a heated garage for all the toys and the pick-up, however I am having a moisture problem in it right now. I try to squeegee as much water as I can out, but it is still super humid in there. In hindsight I should have put a vent fan in to help get rid of the moist air, but that will have to wait till the summer. Just hate it when the truck windows fog up as soon as the outside air hits them, kinda defeats the purpose, also want to try and protect the few tools I have from rusting away on me. I will be picking up a dehumidifier tonight, just wondering what others do to keep the moisture to a minimum. Thanks.

farmer4ever

Reaction score
I used to run a dehumidifier in my last garage when it would get too humid. Seemed to help some anyways. I see you mentioned your going to pick one up, sounds like a good plan to me. Can't hurt anyways.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem in my garage. Not my shop, just the garage. We park our vehicles in a heated garage and the melting snow and slush create a pile of humidity. Both man doors freeze up and the overhead door is covered in frost. The grade beam is as white as snow due to frost. :mad: Ofcourse this is only a problem when it as cold as it is right now?

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com
I have the same problem in my garage. Not my shop, just the garage. We park our vehicles in a heated garage and the melting snow and slush create a pile of humidity. Both man doors freeze up and the overhead door is covered in frost. The grade beam is as white as snow due to frost. :mad: Ofcourse this is only a problem when it as cold as it is right now?

Yes there are always big humitity swings as soon as it gets as cold as it was. try some cheap ceiling fans to move the hot air down. they work in my garage:)

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My garage has infloor heating so I invested in a dehumidifier, works awesome. No more steamy windows!! Find one that is automatic so you just set it to the humidity you want and walk away. The unit shuts down automaticly when the water tub is full, empty it and away you go. I always kick the snow off the flaps before entering the garage.:d

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an exhaust fan that runs off of a humidistat and thermostat, humidity goes up and fan comes on. if the temp drops too much, fan stops. I also put a drier vent on either side of the overhead door (louvres on the inside to open inward)to let air in when the exhaust fan runs. That works OK, but I bought a dehumidifier last year and that seems to work the best.

bergy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 80,000btu Roberts Gordon in a 26 by 36 garrage (I know a little overkill) I installed a osculating fan behind the heater and have had no problems at all. I keep my garage at around 5C unless i am working in it

LITTLE CRAZY

Reaction score
i own a construction company and if you keep your garage to warm you will always have a moisture problem in my one garage i dont have a floor drain with a overhead heater and what i do is squeege it out every morning and i dont have any problem and once a week i leave the overhead door open for aprox 20 min that lets dry air in but turn furnace off when door is open my big garage has radiant heat and same thing keep heat low unless you working in it and you should not have a problem

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My garage, attached 28' x 26' is always soaking wet. I keep my furnace at 5 degrees C unless I'm out there working in it as well. The grade slopes toward the OH door and it freezes like crazy when the temp drops below -20. We kick off the flaps and boards on the vehicles, usually, and the melt still makes a pool on the floor. I so wish we had a catch or a sump built in. The salty water over the last few years has eatin away at the concrete and it is starting to break up at the overhead door. :mad:

In my shop, also on the acreage, I have infloor heating with a boiler and I have no moisture issues at all. I also built a sump that drains to the underground septic tank. The garage actually needs drainage more as we park our vehicles in it.

McLuvin

Reaction score
I've been fortunate. I've got in floor heat with 3 drains. I also installed a fan in the wall during construction to get rid of excess moisture. It's one of the only things that went right in the whole construction of my place.

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My garage, attached 28' x 26' is always soaking wet. I keep my furnace at 5 degrees C unless I'm out there working in it as well. The grade slopes toward the OH door and it freezes like crazy when the temp drops below -20. We kick off the flaps and boards on the vehicles, usually, and the melt still makes a pool on the floor. I so wish we had a catch or a sump built in. The salty water over the last few years has eatin away at the concrete and it is starting to break up at the overhead door. :mad:

In my shop, also on the acreage, I have infloor heating with a boiler and I have no moisture issues at all. I also built a sump that drains to the underground septic tank. The garage actually needs drainage more as we park our vehicles in it.

Midfield Supply sells a 'garage mat' that keeps all of the salt and crap that falls off your truck on a mat with raised edges. Drag it out of the garage and pull it over itself to 'dump' it once in a while. Works great. I think I saw them at Canadian Tire also. $140 or so but keeps the floor clean.

Top Bottom