Modular homes vs conventional

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What’s the big difference between the two besides the ‘lack of foundation’ for the modular?

I am in the market and thinking my best bet is to buy land (ideally serviced) and throw a custom built double wide on it. To buy land where I am and build you’re required to have a home builders license and I believe a ten year warranty tieing up some cash and I’m sure some other money grab sort of permits

Currently researching the mobiles and thought a post on s and m would get me some good real life answers

thanks,
Gavin

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What’s the big difference between the two besides the ‘lack of foundation’ for the modular?

I am in the market and thinking my best bet is to buy land (ideally serviced) and throw a custom built double wide on it. To buy land where I am and build you’re required to have a home builders license and I believe a ten year warranty tieing up some cash and I’m sure some other money grab sort of permits

Currently researching the mobiles and thought a post on s and m would get me some good real life answers

thanks,
Gavin

Go to hart modular, good bang for buck

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s black stone now, but ya I’ve looked at their website showroom. No prices listed but man they are nice inside

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s black stone now, but ya I’ve looked at their website showroom. No prices listed but man they are nice inside

Hart Modular is on the Hart, go firgure :), Blackstone is on 1st ave.

Nicely optioned your looking at about $145 a square foot, that doesnt include foundation or services. Entry level around $120 per square foot.

We did one recently for our daughter, I was very involved in the process, can give you allot of info if you need it. Bought from Blackstone, dont regret it. There final set up and finishing is pretty much the best there is. We talked to allot of people who have done one in the past few years, got their pro's and con's, and the biggest factor with Backstone was their set up guy Rollie and solid service.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can always set up on a 8' concrete basement
father in law was dooing all the prep work for guys outta kamloops

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of the modular homes and mobiles are built cheap and that’s why, they cut cost somewhere, I’ve been in many I’m a carpenter, and they give cheap windows, no treated wood where it should be, floor joists are 2/8, there’s a reason they’re cheaper, sure they’ll keep you’re head dry but I’m not sure for how long, you’ll be way farther ahead to have one built by a quality person, and the resale value is better, that’s just my 2cents

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our farm house was a modular, 3 bed 2 bath from a company out of gp built in 96. My parents sold it in 03, because ours was on a slab the people who bought it lifted it and put a full basement under it. I think it's a good way to go. Can pick all your finishings and its turn key. We even put all our big furniture in before the pushed the two pieces together

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hart Modular is on the Hart, go firgure :), Blackstone is on 1st ave.

Nicely optioned your looking at about $145 a square foot, that doesnt include foundation or services. Entry level around $120 per square foot.

We did one recently for our daughter, I was very involved in the process, can give you allot of info if you need it. Bought from Blackstone, dont regret it. There final set up and finishing is pretty much the best there is. We talked to allot of people who have done one in the past few years, got their pro's and con's, and the biggest factor with Backstone was their set up guy Rollie and solid service.

My apologies I was thinking Wayne modular for some reason!

I think I’ll mosey on over to black stone this weekend to see what they have to offer

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of the modular homes and mobiles are built cheap and that’s why, they cut cost somewhere, I’ve been in many I’m a carpenter, and they give cheap windows, no treated wood where it should be, floor joists are 2/8, there’s a reason they’re cheaper, sure they’ll keep you’re head dry but I’m not sure for how long, you’ll be way farther ahead to have one built by a quality person, and the resale value is better, that’s just my 2cents

For sure, I get what you are saying. I am thinking I’d go after a new modular from blackstone day as opposed to an older one somebody has lived in

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Building codes have gotten a lot of the modular issues corrected now, it’s not like the 80’s where they had close to no code regarding mobile homes. Most if done by a reputable builder have the same inspections and criteria to follow as a new home. I’m sure there are some **** modular builders out there but there are a lot of **** home builders out there too. Most modular builders now you can pick wall thickness, insulation, floor structure etc.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Building codes have gotten a lot of the modular issues corrected now, it’s not like the 80’s where they had close to no code regarding mobile homes. Most if done by a reputable builder have the same inspections and criteria to follow as a new home. I’m sure there are some **** modular builders out there but there are a lot of **** home builders out there too. Most modular builders now you can pick wall thickness, insulation, floor structure etc.

To go along with that, the building codes have changed to the point where they must fit your climate region, you can not order new and ask for less than the local building code required, and all new home installations must be inspected, so there are no corners to cut.

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was to build, I would consider doing a modular on a styrofoam basement.
Nothing wrong with a modular IMO,

Honestly, I almost did exactly that, then I was talked into a custom build on my acreage. In hindsight, I would have gone modular. There is not enough quality difference to justify the 100k price difference. My wife and kids seem to lay the same beating on a the place no matter the price. Would rather have saved the money. Could have landscaped the whole place with the difference.

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your first comment sounded like a double wide trailer. That is not really a modular. A modular looks like a house when finished and with some builders it is hard to tell the difference. Remember there are significant costs in site prep, basement, heating, plumbing, and electrical. Make sure the builder knows what type of foundation so they can adjust for wall thickness especially at the stairwell.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was about 45 years ago i worked for starburst homes, building about 120 or so homes before i woke up and quit. The lintel beams were continuous over the entire length of the wall making it a little more rigid for surviving the 1k of gravel road it had to be trucked over. We hinged the over hangs on the roofs so they were not over width on the highway.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your first comment sounded like a double wide trailer. That is not really a modular. A modular looks like a house when finished and with some builders it is hard to tell the difference. Remember there are significant costs in site prep, basement, heating, plumbing, and electrical. Make sure the builder knows what type of foundation so they can adjust for wall thickness especially at the stairwell.

Well, the descriptions may vary, but a BC code and spec moveable home built on a steel frame is considered a Modular. In Alberta the designation RTM has become more popular. RTM as in ready to move. The big difference is Alberta spec RTM can come as wide as 32', where as in BC in limeted areas you can go as wide as 20' but some areas are restricted to 16' max width. The most popular width of "double wides" is 2 - 14 food halves, and these are indeed refered to as Modular Homes.

Alberta RTM's are built very different than BC spec Modulars, the main thing is RTM's are not built with any furnaces or hot water, and are mainly designed to go onto a concrete foundation or basement, with the utilites placed in the basement. Because of the way they are built the steel frame used to move the home is not part of the actual home when installed. With a modular the steel frame is indeed a part of the foundation and home.

We took a trip last fall, traveled to Edmonton, Red Deer, Lethbridge, Kelowna and Penticton and toured 6 factories and 12 major dealers. Got a real feel for the differences in each, what was legal and available and what was not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom