Modding a 90's Indy ?? Anyone still doing that?

AKGreener

Reaction score
My sister has a 91' Indy 500 136" track and 2 inch paddles.
aside from the skis and fox shocks its all stock but it makes a great backup
sled. Was wondering if anyone still mods these old sleds out anymore??
was looking into stretching the track and maybe getting some more HP
from if possible. What do you guys suggest?

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
put a 670 in it with a 151 track. I always wanted one like that.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could strip the paint right off and it would still run the same.
Here's an opportunity for you to give a person insight....... Maybe you should try that instead of gettin into it about your paint choice? I have lots of people tell me they like and hate the wraps on my sleds, just like the pics of that new pro the other day, it's not theirs so who cares, give this member the do's and don'ts with the wedge chassis, I mean isn't that why were all on here

sledrs

Reaction score
I have one with a 130 somthing with big green plastic paddles. No hood or bellypan, aluminum custom built belt cover. I grafted a 81 blizzard 9500 motor in it! Looks like a jet boat going across the field with a 40 foot spray behind it! The things we do with beer and junk from the back yard. I will have to take a pic of it.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's an opportunity for you to give a person insight....... Maybe you should try that instead of gettin into it about your paint choice? I have lots of people tell me they like and hate the wraps on my sleds, just like the pics of that new pro the other day, it's not theirs so who cares, give this member the do's and don'ts with the wedge chassis, I mean isn't that why were all on here

My sled is hand built with parts from Yamaha Ski-Doo Arctic Cat and Polaris. I really dont think he wants advise from me.

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to run a 92 inky 500 with a 141 2" plastic paddles 7 tooth drivers and twin pipes. I would put a used track in it and maybe buy some skis for it and drop your driver size and drop the front of your skid down one hole.

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Tapatalk 2

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sled is hand built with parts from Yamaha Ski-Doo Arctic Cat and Polaris. I really dont think he wants advise from me.
Yeah heaven forbid that someone who knows an old Poo inside and out give another person with a similar chassis a little advice.:rolleyes: Wouldn't want to lose the troll status.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah heaven forbid that someone who knows an old Poo inside and out give another person with a similar chassis a little advice.:rolleyes: Wouldn't want to lose the troll status.

I cant believe you havent told him if he wants to be on top of the world to buy an XM. Oh wait Maxwell will be here shortly to tell him.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I cant believe you havent told him if he wants to be on top of the world to buy an XM. Oh wait Maxwell will be here shortly to tell him.

Why would I tell anyone that? If I knew anything about modding an old Poo I would help him. I never did any mods to my '96 Indy so I'm not sure how I can help.
Unlike you who could probably help but you only seem to be good at bragging about how much better your old sled you never ride is than the new stuff and de-railing other peoples threads. Like I said, TROLL!
Mods may as well lock and delete the garbage in this thread and start over. Maybe some other people can keep help this guy and keep it on topic next time around.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the most part a sled is a sled is a sled. There are common mods that improve all sleds. More power throw some pipes on it. Longer track will help in the climb. Make sure the sled is geared and clutched properly this is the biggest bang for your buck.

AKGreener

Reaction score
I've got a parts sled and a different sized driver in it il have to check it out. I haven't had any luck on finding any aftermarket pipes for this sled aside from DG I've heard of guys having twin pipe applications but can't seem to find them anywhere. And was wondering if anyone has tried to Mach up a newer style seat and gas tank to the wedge chassis??

Brad62

Reaction score
I used to work for a shop and did a few drop and rolls on these sleds mostly all 700 and 800 RMK's. I have also seen a few indy 500's with twin pipes and they worked well but the best bang for the buck is make sure the clutching is bang on and the track is running true and free. Alot of HP can get tied up in these two things. Also make sure the engine is up to snuff check compression I have seen these run on the low side and wake right up with a set of rings and a hone job. :)

Top Bottom